I don't trust any of those statistics in the app management screen. It says I've used less than 30 minutes of the phone app over the past week yet have used over 1000 minutes.

The app management screen doesn't measure the ammount of airtime minutes you've used. It is measuring the ammount of CPU time the particular app has used. It doesn't take much CPU power at all to have an active call going, and that's what it is measuring.
    02-09-12 10:42 PM
    The app management screen doesn't measure the ammount of airtime minutes you've used. It is measuring the ammount of CPU time the particular app has used. It doesn't take much CPU power at all to have an active call going, and that's what it is measuring.

Right, but even in the app usage panel, it still shows very little time used for the phone app. None of the other apps seem to show anything close to actual either.
    02-10-12 12:06 AM
    I go through a full day with 3G, wifi, bluetooth, bridge to the PlayBook on.I find it acceptable.
    02-10-12 01:14 AM
    Right, but even in the app usage panel, it still shows very little time used for the phone app. None of the other apps seem to show anything close to actual either.

You really have no idea how it measures CPU time.

It's accurate. Your understanding of it isn't.
    02-10-12 07:19 AM
    You're probably right. I've never actually researched what Usage Time means. I always just assumed it meant usage time. I'm not talking about the cpu usage - I'm looking at usage screen, see attached. Just yesterday I used Telenav for no less than 2 hours and phone for at least 3. Please help me understand why usage doesn't reflect that.

On the flip side, when my wife complains that I'm on my BB too much, I can show her this and say that I've only used it for 10 hours this week!
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 02-10-12 at 08:12 AM.
    02-10-12 07:23 AM
    Exactly. why dont people get that? The phone should be able to do the social apps, 4g, wifi ect... Thats the point of buying a 4g phone in 2012. All this worked fine before on previous models (9700) and now that it doesnt on the 9900 without huge battery drain, instead of calling out RIM for producing a sub standard phone they actually have the nerve to blame the consumer for installing the apps in the first place.
    This.

I still love my Bold 9930 because I am used to dealing with battery issues with my previous phones, but people shouldn't have to scale back their activity.

And Dustanh's response that "I won't go into naming the apps that kill battery"....Um, then, honestly, why bother posting?

Just kind of ridiculous that people here on Crackberry are getting pissed at people who have poor battery life when, really, they are not doing anything that is not to be expected for a modern smartphone and Blackberry devices in general, which, in the past, have had great battery life.
    02-10-12 09:59 AM
    You know, some people may have had bad phones, bad batteries, bad software, bad OS -- but, just like people are different, so are the phones and there isn't going to be one specific fix for everyone -- we need to remember that and not go off of folks for having one fix or another.

I was one of the people with horrible battery life from the moment I got the phone -- , I couldn't even charge it in anything less than 12 hours. However, coming from a tech background, I took a systematic approach to finding the issue and fixing it.

First, since I bought the 9930 in the middle of a massive 4-Siberian Coat Blow, I cleaned the contacts of both the phone and the battery, as well as the charging port (that undercoat worms its way into everything, trust me). No difference.

Next, I went totally minimalist with my apps -- no automatic updates except for email; turned off the blinking LED; dropped brightness to 10; removed any additional apps that I'd installed one by one to see if that was the issue until I was down to the OOTB phone. No difference. (NOTE: I did NOT try a new OS at this point, because it seemed to me that this phone should be able to change in less than 12 hours and get more than 3-4 hours per charge out of the box, eh?) I also tried letting the battery drain completely (not a problem at ALL, it obliged rather quickly), then fully charging.

Finally, I called my provider and told them what I'd been doing, and asked if they could swap the battery out (starting small, just the battery, because other than that, when the phone was charged and I got to USE it for those couple of hours, it had no other issues). As I'd already done all the fun stuff they would have suggested, they agreed immediately and overnighted me a new battery.

VOILA! For MY 9930, THAT was the issue, and the instant fix. I know get a minimum of 12-15 hours or more per charge with all of my apps installed and running, and it charges in less than an hour.

HOWEVER -- that's NOT the fix for everyone!

I've been watching the battery threads, and noticed that for some people a new OS did the trick. For others, removing certain apps and finding different ones. As they say, your mileage may vary -- I'd suggest that anyone having battery life issues take a systematic approach to figuring out what's going on.

For example, has it always been an issue from the moment you took it out of the box, or did it begin after installing a new OS or new program? If the latter, try uninstalling and see if that helps. Try the battery saving tips that everyone with a BB has to know by now. If nothing else works, first swap the battery, then if that's not the issue, the phone.

Personally, I'm now finding that this phone has the best battery life of ANY device I've ever used, and I've noticed that many other people here are saying the same thing. I've looked at other sites and see the same divide, though -- and I know that with any new product that comes to the market, there will always be manufacturing glitches in the beginning (one of the perils of being an early adopter, I'm afraid, is finding the bugs).
    02-10-12 10:45 AM
    um...seriously...
    those facbook, twitter, social, and other app is sucking the juice out...

i wiped my device yesterday night and just install few apps and deleted all the games, and i am not sure if that is it but the battery did last a day...@.@...
    usually i have to charge it half of the day
    I'm not saying that thier not sucking the juice out, they probably are. All it took me was a phone replacement and now it lasts the whole day with all those apps installed. The point is you shouldnt need to delete them in the first place.
    They don't suck the life out... they can increase the discharge rate per hour. Keep increasing that rate and you will have a dead battery.
    02-10-12 11:00 AM
    After removing myself from 3 BBM groups, I have to report back to the community that sadly NO, battery life is not noticibly better without those.
    02-10-12 04:12 PM
    I just got my 9930 on Sprint yesterday and I must admit...I've only charged it once. I keep my screen brightness at about 70% and my screen times out after 10 seconds. I made sure to automatically dim my backlight. No battery problems. I think I hit a home run on the first pitch. *Knocks on wood*
    02-10-12 07:31 PM
    you need to give it some more time to be 100% well atleast try, still early.
    first day, i guess you haven't that many applications and so on.
    you are just starting your way to find out, hope it will work out.
    02-10-12 07:36 PM
    I just got my 9930 on Sprint yesterday and I must admit...I've only charged it once. I keep my screen brightness at about 70% and my screen times out after 10 seconds. I made sure to automatically dim my backlight. No battery problems. I think I hit a home run on the first pitch. *Knocks on wood*
    push ur screen brightness to 10% i bet u wont notice the different after a few minutes.
    02-10-12 07:54 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD