To those that refuse to believe that their are actually people that have 4-6 hour battery life, in some cases even less. You blame it on the user and not the build of the phone. You say that its our apps, or we are heavy users, or screen is too bright, and even that its because you use 4g or wifi. Isnt that what your phone is supposed to do?

Now to those that have the terrible battery life. I finally decided to call T-Mobile and get an exchange. The phone that I have now is like night and day. It lasts me all day, about 12-15 hours. Still nowhere near what my old 9700 did but I'll take it. I'm kicking myself for not swapping it out before. Maybe I got lucky and I got a good replacement phone, but if you've already swapped, keep swapping till you get a good one.

Good Luck
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 02-09-12 at 11:33 AM. Reason: First I just wanted to say FU
    02-08-12 11:28 PM
    There's no need to FU anyone.. We are all just trying to help by giving some suggestions. Not all suggestions will vastly improve the battery life, but it will help in some ways. The bottom line is that RIM needs to produce a bigger battery power for this phone. PERIOD!.. Not better battery management updated OS.. just my 2 cents.
    Tvistedhead and Chrisy like this.
    02-08-12 11:53 PM
    Bad battery life is user error.
    02-08-12 11:59 PM
    im sure as soonas he adds apps, he'll be back to where be started with a sorrybatery life because doesnt know how to manage and manipulate the os
    02-09-12 12:36 AM
    This.

First 2 month on my phone, terrible battery life... 4 hrs tops before it went to 0%. I swore it was defective battery or just the way the phone was, so I deleted some apps I thought be the culprit and also deleted a group chat I was in (which drains a ton of battery) and now go on 14-18 hrs easy...
    02-09-12 01:02 AM
    This.

First 2 month on my phone, terrible battery life... 4 hrs tops before it went to 0%. I swore it was defective battery or just the way the phone was, so I deleted some apps I thought be the culprit and also deleted a group chat I was in (which drains a ton of battery) and now go on 14-18 hrs easy...
    Exactly... all you have to do is monitor your performance after any app installation. I have installed quite a few apps here and there and most were uninstalled due to poor performance on my device, memory loss and battery drain. This is user error. I, along with everyone else is guilty of this at one point or another. But there are a some of who learn the why&hows and we don't do it again. Others call BS on us but never really try to fix. I have done countless OS reloads and app installs/unistalls to make my device run perfect.

I could name a few apps/games that will ruin your battery and cause a catastophic loss of memory but I won't go there.

Any thread(s) that has "battery issues or problems" in the title should automatically be locked. Then redirected to the... what... maybe 100 other threads that repeat like a skipping disc.
    02-09-12 02:07 AM
    I could name a few apps/games that will ruin your battery and cause a catastophic loss of memory but I won't go there.
    Actually, a thread of this sort would be useful. For example, I discovered that the YouMail app was using a good chunk of CPU time even on days when I got no calls. I've had the app on previous BBs. I don't know if it was like that on my 9780, because I had so much battery life to spare on that device that I didn't monitor such things. But on the 9900, it matters.

I deleted the app, since I can still get instant email links for voicemails.

Pandora uses a small amount of CPU every day--about 30 seconds--even when I don't open it. It's not enough to make me delete it, but with enough apps that use CPU even when you don't use the apps, it gets to a point where you have to make decisions.

Edit: Can anyone explain why these apps are using the CPU even when they're not open? Does this have something to do with pulling in advertising, in the case of ad-supported apps?
    wolfee48, guerllamo7 and axllebeer like this.
    02-09-12 08:23 AM
    See what I'm saying you still get moronic reponses like this. Why will you guys not accept the fact the RIM has built some bad phones. I have all my apps back plus more and battery is much better.
    02-09-12 09:24 AM
    FU is probably not the way win over an audience. However, some useful comments from the likes of Ubizmo and dustanh.

It is amazing how much knowledge is available on this website and how many complete strangers are happy to share and help out fellow BlackBerry users.

Love BlackBerry and Love Crackberry.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 02-09-12 at 10:18 AM.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-09-12 10:12 AM
    Actually, a thread of this sort would be useful. For example, I discovered that the YouMail app was using a good chunk of CPU time even on days when I got no calls. I've had the app on previous BBs. I don't know if it was like that on my 9780, because I had so much battery life to spare on that device that I didn't monitor such things. But on the 9900, it matters.

I deleted the app, since I can still get instant email links for voicemails.

Pandora uses a small amount of CPU every day--about 30 seconds--even when I don't open it. It's not enough to make me delete it, but with enough apps that use CPU even when you don't use the apps, it gets to a point where you have to make decisions.

Edit: Can anyone explain why these apps are using the CPU even when they're not open? Does this have something to do with pulling in advertising, in the case of ad-supported apps?
    You are correct. But threads like this are just annoying. The title and the content of the OP is whack.

The topic in which your are speaking of, CPU, which I may have touched on doesn't really belong in this thread.

By the way, I've seen you around... and you had battery concerns other that the app you spoke of correct? Didn't your carrier provide you with another battery? How is that working in conjunction with monitoring your CPU?
    Last edited by dustanh; 02-09-12 at 10:15 AM.
    02-09-12 10:13 AM
    You are correct. But threads like this are just annoying. The title and the content of the OP is whack.
    Agreed. I meant that a thread in which people mention battery-draining apps by name would be useful.

By the way, I've seen you around... and you had battery concerns other that the app you spoke of correct? Didn't your carrier provide you with another battery? How is that working in conjunction with monitoring your CPU?
    Yes, I got a replacement battery. It performed a bit better than the original, but not a lot. That difference may have actually been caused by my mauling the original battery, letting it drain fully several times. At that time, I was desperate and trying any and all suggestions.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-09-12 10:19 AM
    I do not believe that the battery issue is caused by the apps installed. I have quite a few apps but are all off so no reason to drain the battery. It must be that either the battery is underpowered or malfunctioning.
    02-09-12 10:19 AM
    I do not believe that the battery issue is caused by the apps installed. I have quite a few apps but are all off so no reason to drain the battery. It must be that either the battery is underpowered or malfunctioning.
    Not so true... monitor your CPU when new apps are installed. I have installed and uninstalled apps because they were increasing my discharge rate.
    02-09-12 10:41 AM
    Not so true... monitor your CPU when new apps are installed. I have installed and uninstalled apps because they were increasing my discharge rate.
    I don't trust any of those statistics in the app management screen. It says I've used less than 30 minutes of the phone app over the past week yet have used over 1000 minutes.
    02-09-12 11:04 AM
    Ive found the second battery and charger to be very useful. I purchased it on this website.
    It ROCKS.
    02-09-12 12:08 PM
    My battery life left something to be desired when I first got my 9930. Then I stopped Twitter from updating every hour, limited facebook and social feeds to checking every 3 hrs, and now my battery lasts all day. Seems that tweaking settings can do wonders.
    02-09-12 01:15 PM
    See what I'm saying you still get moronic reponses like this. Why will you guys not accept the fact the RIM has built some bad phones. I have all my apps back plus more and battery is much better.
    I don't think it's bad phones as much as it's weak batteries, which is out of RIM's control. At least for some of the cases of poor battery life.
    02-09-12 01:54 PM
    If your really curious, do a wipe and then reinstall the same os but do not add any apps for a few days. Then see what your battery looks like. Just a suggestion. But no one argue until they actually know what is the cause. Fortunately I have stellar battery life with 15 apps installed. 12 hrs heavy use 25% left, 18 hrs minimal use 25% left. Wifi off unless in use, gps off unless in use, 5 bar constant signal, brightness 10, no apps running in the background and use standby when in pocket.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    02-09-12 02:47 PM
    @Dustanh.....why don't you name those apps and help out your fellow 9900 mates? Are you scared of getting sued or something? Also, we shouldn't have to 'limit' or 'watch' our apps for fear of our batteries not lasting us a full working day. This crap should be sorted and working out of the box. I love the 9900 but I should be able to load all my compatible apps which I've used on my 9780 and expect my 9900 to last me almost as long as my 9780 did.
    02-09-12 03:19 PM
    Having jumped from a 9700 to the 9900 (love this device), loaded same apps - where I could go a more than a day, its down to 3/4 day.
    I agree, RIM should give us a stronger power packs for this device.
    I can also agree with what was said, limiting social media apps (FB, twitter, social feeds) to update 3 hourly did help me. Am on WiFi most of the day (strong signal), and to disable the WiFI is a faster battery drain situation. Curious to test what was said regarding the BBM Groups, will delete the 3 I have now and report back on findings in a day or two.
    02-09-12 03:41 PM
    I don't think it's bad phones as much as it's weak batteries, which is out of RIM's control. At least for some of the cases of poor battery life.
    Why wouldn't RIM have control of batteries that are shipped out with thier devices?

And here is why I disagree with what you are saying. I ordered 2 extra batteries and none made a difference on the phones battery life. But finally when I switched out the device the issue was resolved. I'm still using the battery that originally came with my phone. So that is why I'm not buying thats its the batteries and not the phone. RIM definitley meesed up on some the phones they produced.
    02-09-12 08:02 PM
    @Dustanh.....why don't you name those apps and help out your fellow 9900 mates? Are you scared of getting sued or something? Also, we shouldn't have to 'limit' or 'watch' our apps for fear of our batteries not lasting us a full working day. This crap should be sorted and working out of the box. I love the 9900 but I should be able to load all my compatible apps which I've used on my 9780 and expect my 9900 to last me almost as long as my 9780 did.
    Exactly. why dont people get that? The phone should be able to do the social apps, 4g, wifi ect... Thats the point of buying a 4g phone in 2012. All this worked fine before on previous models (9700) and now that it doesnt on the 9900 without huge battery drain, instead of calling out RIM for producing a sub standard phone they actually have the nerve to blame the consumer for installing the apps in the first place.
    02-09-12 08:08 PM
    um...seriously...
    those facbook, twitter, social, and other app is sucking the juice out...

i wiped my device yesterday night and just install few apps and deleted all the games, and i am not sure if that is it but the battery did last a day...@.@...
    usually i have to charge it half of the day
    02-09-12 08:23 PM
    I'm not saying that thier not sucking the juice out, they probably are. All it took me was a phone replacement and now it lasts the whole day with all those apps installed. The point is you shouldnt need to delete them in the first place.
    02-09-12 08:44 PM
    Totally agree that it's sad some of us have to "limit" our apps to save battery life. Never had to do it on my Style (despite the bad press, for me it was a great bb). Never felt the need to hold my breath until the screen lit up every time I did a reboot either. I love this phone but it's sad I'm watching it nervously rather than just enjoying the holy heck out of it. Think I need therapy...
    02-09-12 10:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD