Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I currently own a 9650 running OS 6.00.600 and I love it. That said, it has its quirks (like a 6 minute boot time) that make me wish for something newer. I'm jealous of you GSM users that get the 9780, I think the white version is the most beautiful device ever created.
    Anyway, I've been following the 9900/9930 show ever since the leaked shots last year and I've even played around with a 9930 at a VZW kiosk inside the mall near my job. I love the keyboard, higher screen and camera resolution(s), CPU, and new radios (NFC and WiFi-N), I'll admit I even like the touchscreen. I just have three holdouts- autofocus, battery life and third-party app compatibility.
    I've seen some threads on here stating the camera still takes decent shots, but I'm curious if anyone's tried reading QR codes with it? I also sell quite a few items on eBay (right on my Bold, thanks to the newest eBay beta) and since my digital camera was stolen last year, the 9650 is my default point-and-shoot these days. I like to take macro shots of my items so buyers can see I've described my items accurately. I'm afraid with the 9930 not having autofocus, this would no longer be possible.
    As for the battery, I have to charge my 9650 at least once a day, and that's with a brand-new OEM battery. I sometimes also have to carry a spare. I've heard the 9650 treats batteries better when it's running OS5, but I can't go back to that, I have way too many OS6-only apps I use on a daily basis. I was shocked to see RIM announced a lower-capacity battery for the 9930, considering all the new power-hungry features the 9930 ships with. But I figure if worst comes to worst, I can just pick up a PlayBook charger to give my Bold a "jump".
    I know the app compatibility issue is a case-by-case basis and we're seeing more and more developers port their apps to OS7, which is encouraging. So I guess this isn't really a holdout, just a concern.
    Sorry for the lengthy first post, but if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. I'm cautious since I'll be paying the full retail price for the 9930 due to already using my upgrade this year (that's a story for another thread) and while I'm sure I wouldn't have buyer's remorse, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.
    10-17-11 01:54 PM
    Coming from a Curve 8330 to a Bold 9930 is like Dorothy leaving Kansas and landing in OZ the Bold 9930's 1.2ghz processor is a dream (very rarely does it hourglass me) the camera's 5MP is very good, and the video's 720dpi is awesome by far the best Qwerty keyboard for a BlackBerry. The battery isn't up to par with the older BB's, but you gotta relize, it's running a 1.2ghz processor and 768 MB RAM too. Also, doesn't Sprint have NOW a 14 day no questions asked return policy? Bottom line, if you love your 9650...you'll love the Bold 9930
    bakerjoshi4 likes this.
    10-19-11 06:59 AM
    From what I've read the only thing you will be sacrificing is battery life. Overall it's a better phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bakerjoshi4 likes this.
    11-04-11 07:50 PM
    Thanks, I will be getting one in the coming months.
    11-06-11 11:20 PM
    Without getting into lengthy debates about the camera I have found using it a certain way improves the shots immensely. Specifically for close up shots, select the proper scene mode, and most importantly *hold the camera much further from the subject than you would your auto focus type of camera*. So the trick is to take a distant shot, then zoom after the fact.

Same for QR codes. Works great IF you scan from a further distance away than you would normally.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-06-11 11:47 PM
    Personally, I didn't really like the 9930, and am in the process of downgrading to a 9650. Battery life is really awful, I charge it overnight, and with light usage it's on red by 8:30... with heavy usage, it's done by 5. The camera is also not the most amazing thing i've seen on a phone... shots are relatively decent, but the 9650 and 9700's 3.2 MP AF cameras work better for me... the lack of a convenience key is also annoying for me. touchscreen is a nuisance. No apps/themes are available yet. also, it's too wide in my opinion, and it's too thin... I like to leave it on vibrate, and since i don't wear skin-tight jeans i can't even feel it.

then again, that's me. not you. so, i would suggest that you switch to the 9930, use it for a couple of weeks, and then make your final decision to keep it, or to switch back to the 9650 and get a refund. personally, i was underwhelmed by the bold touch.

good luck!
    11-07-11 12:03 AM
    I'm thinking about making this same move, to upgrade my wife's device from a 9650 to a 9930 (mostly because of device lockups and poor battery life), and I have a couple of questions:

1. My wife hates touchscreens with a passion. Can you get to everything on the 9930 by using the trackpad, or is the touchscreen a requirement for some things? Not talking about games or whatever, mostly concerned with messaging and web browsing.
    2. What about the camera? She loves the camera on her 9650, and it does take decent pictures IMO. The BlackBerry Bold 9900 Camera Comparison paints a pretty bleak picture. Is the EDoF camera on the 9930 really that bad, especially in closeups?
    11-28-11 02:47 PM
    Just made this upgrade last week, and the 9930 is so much more phone than 9650. The pictures I've taken with the 9930 are fine. That said, I'm taking quick snap shots and I'm not expecting grand things from any smartphone camera.

The touchscreen is not a requirement for anything. It just makes navigating to, and through, things easier.

No apps/themes are available yet.
    Not sure what you're talking about here, there are plenty of apps that work on the BB7 OS. Theme builder is a ways off, research first then buy. And if you choose a smartphone based on the availability of themes, you probably don't need a smartphone in the first place.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-28-11 at 03:12 PM.
    11-28-11 03:07 PM
    Get one now. You won't be sorry.
    11-28-11 04:05 PM
    The sample pictures at Engadget are a bit more encouraging than those here at Crackberry, and it looks like I can pick up a 9930 today on Amazon at an upgrade price of $120. Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Edit: Ugh.. that Amazon deal looks good on the surface, but if I go through the entire order process, they say my unlimited data plan will be replaced with a limited plan. Think I'll avoid that "deal"!
    Last edited by seanubis; 11-28-11 at 04:12 PM.
    11-28-11 04:06 PM
    Edit: Ugh.. that Amazon deal looks good on the surface, but if I go through the entire order process, they say my unlimited data plan will be replaced with a limited plan. Think I'll avoid that "deal"!
    Can't you just upgrade thru VZW? I was able to keep my data plan.
    11-28-11 04:29 PM
    Can't you just upgrade thru VZW? I was able to keep my data plan.
    Sure, I can (and almost certainly will) go through VZW.

The Amazon deal looked sweet on the surface because the upgrade price for the device was $120 compared to $200 on VZW - but losing the unlimited data plan kind of soured it.
    11-28-11 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD