Hey, I recently moved to Miami from europe, and I got myself the new 9930 from VzW. Overall, the 9930 is pretty cool, works well, but I hate OS 6 and OS 7, I don't really like the 9930's form factor or the touchscreen, and it also kinda pisses me off that we've lost autofocus ... I know this may sound kinda crazy, with the 8GB onboard memory, and all the new cool features, but I'm thinking of downgrading to the 9650. I had a 9700 with OS 5 in europe on a GSM network, and I absolutely loved everything about it. I already bought the last 9650 from the VzW store for someone else, and either they take it, or I keep it and they get my 9930.

Should I downgrade? Which one is better? Pros/Cons anyone? Kinda confused here...
    10-16-11 07:14 PM
    Hey, I recently moved to Miami from europe, and I got myself the new 9930 from VzW. Overall, the 9930 is pretty cool, works well, but I hate OS 6 and OS 7, I don't really like the 9930's form factor or the touchscreen, and it also kinda pisses me off that we've lost autofocus ... I know this may sound kinda crazy, with the 8GB onboard memory, and all the new cool features, but I'm thinking of downgrading to the 9650. I had a 9700 with OS 5 in europe on a GSM network, and I absolutely loved everything about it. I already bought the last 9650 from the VzW store for someone else, and either they take it, or I keep it and they get my 9930.

Should I downgrade? Which one is better? Pros/Cons anyone? Kinda confused here...
    Go with your gut.
    ONLY you can define which is a better phone.

that's the same reason why i stick with a BlackBerry even though i also have an iphone 4 and an ipad 2
    anon(4140245) likes this.
    10-16-11 07:16 PM
    This is strange.. you have reached a point where only you can decide... I mean how many people do you think will tell you to go for the 9650 OVER the 9930, especially as a downgrade??
    10-16-11 07:20 PM

Lolll sorry man, the only thing I can come up with is that yes, you're indeed crazyyyyyy!

I think anything the 9650 can do, the 9930 can do WAY better. Okay maybe it does lack autofocus, but just the efficiency of having both a touchscreen and the best physical keyboard from RIM is enough to balance that off.
    Let me suggest you look up on Kevin's full review of the 9900/9930, it's pretty complete!
    10-16-11 07:20 PM
    seems to me you already made your decision.
    10-16-11 07:23 PM
    You won't have trouble selling it to someone here. And if you want to take close ups of a buga a** then its definitely not for you. I have tried all of the scene modes out and find the camera more than adequate. But to each their own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 10-16-11 at 07:34 PM.
    10-16-11 07:30 PM
    Lolll sorry man, the only thing I can come up with is that yes, you're indeed crazyyyyyy!

I think anything the 9650 can do, the 9930 can do WAY better. Okay maybe it does lack autofocus, but just the efficiency of having both a touchscreen and the best physical keyboard from RIM is enough to balance that off.
    Let me suggest you look up on Kevin's full review of the 9900/9930, it's pretty complete!
    There's a reason why you see some people/enthusiast who still drive muscle cars from the 60's and 70's...although we can argue that cars today can run faster and are more fuel efficient than what they drive.
    maybe the OP is part of that category.
    10-16-11 07:33 PM
    There's a reason why you see some people/enthusiast who still drive muscle cars from the 60's and 70's...although we can argue that cars today can run faster and are more fuel efficient than what they drive.
    I hope you're not serious about the OP's situation being analogous to the muscle car comment.

What now, BlackBerry for daily use, and an iphone for a weekend phone?
    10-16-11 07:39 PM
    That makes no sense whatsoever and is irrelevant to this situation as the hardware that compose the 9930 is better than the 9650.
    10-16-11 07:50 PM
    Muscle cars are unique - that era was unique. I can see why one would want to drive them...having owned them in the past. Today's high performance cars are faster and reach far greater top speeds with handling and braking to boot. They are also safer. 99xx BlackBerry's are the cars of today. I can understand why one would want to downgrade...because they're stuck in the muscle car era -
    10-16-11 07:50 PM
    Given the new options and feature on the 9930 and the processing power. I would go with the 9930. The added touch and size make it much more better then the 9650.

Issues that you may have with your 9650 are gone with the 9930 device and OS7.

But use what you want. I can not decide for you.
    10-16-11 07:56 PM
    This could be the first time I've actually heard a true bb fan say they prefer an older model bb over the 9930. Quite frankly, I think you would eventually regret that decision. I've never owned the 9650, but I've had a few os5 devices...and while I loved them all, there is no way I'd go back to one and give up the new bold.

10-16-11 08:28 PM
    Muscle cars are unique - that era was unique. I can see why one would want to drive them...having owned them in the past. Today's high performance cars are faster and reach far greater top speeds with handling and braking to boot. They are also safer. 99xx BlackBerry's are the cars of today. I can understand why one would want to downgrade...because they're stuck in the muscle car era -
    well, yeah... i'm stuck in that era i don't really like the form factor of the 9930 and the touchscreen is just a nuisance... i'm used to the 9700, and the closest to that on a CDMA network is a 9650.. i'll wait a couple of weeks and then i'll decide

by the way, i'm new to CDMA... how does global roaming work? i have european sim cards, so can i just put one in there and it will work? and if i'm traveling to asia, what do i need to do to activate roaming on a GSM network? do i need to go to verizon and activate something? also, how much will the roaming cost for a one week stay in asia, with heavy BBM usage, two emails with moderate usage, light browsing, some Facebook and twitter usage, and maybe 2 or 3 received calls?

sorry about all the questions, I've only ever had GSM phones and i don't really know what i'm doing here thanks in advance
    10-16-11 08:46 PM
    What is it about OS7 that you dislike? The only thing I didn't like about OS6 was addressed in OS7, and that were the multiple homescreen panes that can now be configured.

10-16-11 08:58 PM
    What is it about OS7 that you dislike? The only thing I didn't like about OS6 was addressed in OS7, and that were the multiple homescreen panes that can now be configured.

i like the simplicity of OS 5. OS 6 is still OK but OS 7 has all these colors everywhere, i just don't like the look of it. someone else might have a different opinion, but then again, we're not all the same :P

it's like BlackBerry went from catering primarily to business/government users to catering to teenagers (who am i to talk, i'm a teenager :P, but i still don't like the look of the new blackberry os)... someone should at least start developing some themes!!!
    10-16-11 09:19 PM
    i like the simplicity of OS 5. OS 6 is still OK but OS 7 has all these colors everywhere, i just don't like the look of it.
    You can...change the display to greyscale in the accessibility menu. Haha.
    10-16-11 09:41 PM
    I was actually thinking of doing the same thing but back to my old Tour 9630 :/

The 9930 is great - but its not _that_ much better for what I use my phone for (email, calendar, texting and facebook) and the lack of autofocus sucks. Its not just noticable in close up shots, even regular snapshots are lacking in focus and are grainy.

Not to mention BBX is around the corner and with RIMs track record and comments about dual core I have a feeling this phone is going to be obsolete pretty fast.

I'll probably keep the phone, but needless to say I'm a bit underwhelmed.
    10-16-11 11:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD