i have always loved the 9930. my favorite "feeling" phone. and my favorite messaging phone. BUT. the lack of apps etc always detered me to iphone and android. BUT, i SO SO miss my bb. i had the 9930 the day it came out. returned it 14 days later.

i was wondering. as far as OS updates. what has changed? i was not happy with the battery life, and it seemed a tad choppy and sometimes it froze.

let me know your thoughts on what has improved..

thank you

BTW, i am with Verizon
    Last edited by dvigue; 02-28-12 at 06:52 AM.
    02-28-12 06:43 AM
    i have always loved the 9930. my favorite "feeling" phone. and my favorite messaging phone. BUT. the lack of apps etc always detered me to iphone and android. BUT, i SO SO miss my bb. i had the 9930 the day it came out. returned it 14 days later.

i was wondering. as far as OS updates. what has changed? i was not happy with the battery life, and it seemed a tad choppy and sometimes it froze.

let me know your thoughts on what has improved..

thank you
    OS 7.1 .0.267 has leaked and has improved the 9900/9930 experience considerably for the majority of those who have tried it, loads of new features, better battery life and more responsive.
    02-28-12 06:47 AM
    OS 7.1 .0.267 has leaked and has improved the 9900/9930 experience considerably for the majority of those who have tried it, loads of new features, better battery life and more responsive.
    Thanks for the response. The only other thing that scares me is the "bricking" issues. i have seen so many get bricked. has this been taken care of? was it an OS issue?

is there a list of new features etc for the 7.1 update could read up on?

thanks allot
    02-28-12 06:50 AM
    Thanks for the response. The only other thing that scares me is the "bricking" issues. i have seen so many get bricked. has this been taken care of? was it an OS issue?

is there a list of new features etc for the 7.1 update could read up on?

thanks allot
    http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...-fixes-698223/

As to the "bricking" issue I am a regular reader of this forum and there seem to be fewer and fewer bricks being reported as time goes on.

Could have been a software issue sorted by updates or a hardware one resolved by faulty batch of devices being exchanged out.

Whichever, I would say that you can now get a new 9930 and just enjoy it.
    02-28-12 06:54 AM
    Thanks so much leagal.

have you ever used anything other then a BB?
    02-28-12 06:55 AM
    Thanks so much leagal.

have you ever used anything other then a BB?
    Sure have, the 9900 is my first Berry and I'm loving it. Previously had Nokia's for years and years but regretting not going BB much sooner.
    02-28-12 06:58 AM
    Sure have, the 9900 is my first Berry and I'm loving it. Previously had Nokia's for years and years but regretting not going BB much sooner.
    i have been just afraid that BB was gonna fold.....
    02-28-12 07:01 AM
    I just came back from an experience with the 4s and the Nexus. I loved the 4s . The Nexus was OK a little big and laggy. ICS again was just OK. The Nexus is just too big. Id rather carry my ipad and my bold with me.
    The bold is just great . Not laggy ,does everything a phone should do and gets things done faster than any other phone on the market.
    I think this is one of the most underestimated phones out there!
    02-28-12 07:37 AM
    OS 7.1.0.267 is the best and most suitable OS for this phone. No more lags and everything is smooth. Bricking issues... no words from RIM, but it seems that less and less people have this issue. Go for it. I use Galaxy note as well as bold. If you can have an android and a bb, its a combo I 've been using hapilly.. I'm always using one or the other. Note for browsing and apps and games (running out of memory installing 400+apps), maps, GPS, google earth. 9900 for all other serious tasks
    wouldn't want to use my very compromised android for important stuff
    (you wouldn't believe the kind of permissions android apps are asking.. sending sms, looking through emails.. god knows for what, multiply those permissions by 400 apps.. very2 compromised)
    02-28-12 07:39 AM
    OS 7.1.0.267 is really good...
    02-28-12 07:47 AM
    Depends on what you use a phone for. I too had the Nexus, went to the 9930 for a week and came back to the Nexus. If email is pretty much all you do and you want a phone that does that reliably, then 9930 is your phone. Its build quality is also great...great feeling and looking phone. If you use your phone more like a computer (read news, YouTube, web surf, apps etc) then there is none better than the Nexus. I just realized pretty quickly that I needed my phone to do more than I thought I did, so I made the move back. Both are great phones, they are just at opposite ends of the spectrum and are built for two different things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-28-12 08:00 AM
    7.1.0.267 is the best OS I had so far. I have no isse with battery life. Funny thing, I wanted to calibrate my battery indicator so I try to drain the battery to 10% but it took so long even with Internet radio ON, gave up on it.

As far as bricking goes, it looks like an OS+app issue on older versions of the OS.

In terms of if you should come back from iOS to BB7, it is up to you. I don't like touch screen so I love Bold 9900.
    02-28-12 09:55 AM
    If you mostly spend your time browsing the internet, I'd recommend keeping the Nexus. I have both, nexus and bold, and nexus is just great for web browsing. Unless you send a ton of emails/texts, then there is no need to go back to the bold.
    02-28-12 10:21 AM
    Depending on what you want to use your device for. (Communication/Media Consumption/Browsing) I would stick with the Nexus. If media and browsing are not AS important to you, I would go for a BB.
    02-28-12 10:41 AM
    I just did this, I came back from Galaxy Nexus to 9930. I am now using both 9700 with ATT and 9930 with Verizon, as much impressed as I am with the phone's feel and quality, I don't see the big leap from OS5 to OS7.1 and the functionality, if anything I see some things got worse, more on that in other topics, but yeah, you are not crazy, in fact you are very sane because Galaxy Nexus is not a phone, it is a pocket computer that can do everything very well besides corporate e-mail stuff. It is really an excellent device, but just not a business/communication tool. If you are on gmail chatting up with your buddies or tracking stuff or youtube/facebook, honestly this phone can beat iPhone day and night.. otherwise i love my blackberry
    mralxak likes this.
    02-28-12 10:52 AM
    I am in the exact same boat right now. Went for the Nexus but I am not happy with the call quality, reception, the long period of time it takes to switch between 3G and 4G and the camera quality.

I was a BB use in the past and left for Android. I miss the BB Hardware and simplicity. I do go online a lot though and can see that as a negative with the 9930. I am really not sure what to do.
    03-20-12 11:07 PM
    Yes, you are. It is written Galaxy Nexus* LoL
    03-21-12 12:12 AM
    My son and his wife were Android power users. They moved to Nicaragua where the Claro the service provider didn't support their phones. I sent them a couple of BlackBerry phones I had as spares. The comments I got from them was that they tend to use their BlackBerry phones to get things done rather than entertainment devices the Android were. Which is exactly what I kept telling them when they tried to talk me into getting on the Android bandwagon.
    03-21-12 12:45 AM
    Crazy? Totally but welcome to a crazy forum with crazy blackberry ppl

I love my berry craze and I'm damn proud of it
    Mr.Monty, blue-b and stridr69#AC like this.
    03-21-12 12:49 AM
    I've had a 9930 since the release (now my wife uses it and I have a 9850). On Verizon.

It kicked from day 1 using the stock OS. I upgraded to another version of 7 when VZW released it. Still worked great. Then moved it to 7.1. Still awesome!

Good battery life on all three OS'es. No freezes other than occasional momentary hour glassing (like when installing apps). I'd call that normal anyhow.

And no build issues. It is one killer device. Thinking about picking up a second.
    03-21-12 01:00 AM
    You aren't crazy, come back to the wonderful wacky world of BlackBerry!
    lumos#CB likes this.
    03-21-12 02:12 AM
    I agree that the Bold is really great for texts and emails while the Nexus or any big screen smartphone will give you a better browsing and multimedia experience.

My first bold bricked and my second one has been fine. I haven't upgraded the OS but I will try when I get home. Since receiving my new Bold I get almost 2 days of battery

I have tried the Nexus and it's a great phone but is a little cumbersome and has terrible terrible battery life. Everyone says you can get a days worth of battery life but you have to turn off the radio, shut off pushed emails, etc. In the end your using a 1/4 of the features of the phone.

I too at times want more and better apps but then I remember only about 10% of iphone or android apps are useful (don't tell me angry birds is useful). But in the end I enjoy the fact that I actually get emails texts in seconds, I can type without making mistakes, my battery life is great, and I can make a good sounding phone call. I cam from an iPhone 4 and people forget that phones are suppose to make calls! lol The call quality just wan't good and the antenna gate really did play a factor is call quality.

As for Rim folding, yah that's 50/50. That's my biggest fear since the Playbook is a flop and that was the one device that was suppose to spur on the new OS and RIM. But I don't plan to have my phone for 4-5 years and I don't think Rim will collapse in that time span.

Ask yourself if you really need apps. If not go with the 9900 if you love apps stay with Android or iOS
    03-21-12 11:04 AM
    I dislike stereotypes.

I know it makes BB users feel good to label their devices as business/communication devices and everything else as entertainment devices (as if having a device that can entertain you is a bad thing), but I am able to communicate and run businesses from my touchscreeen device.

It can be done, and it can be done well.

In any case, different strokes for different folks. Devices are what you make of them. I could go back to BB and use it as a highly-functioning mobile hub.
    03-21-12 11:13 AM
    I am now obsessed with the efficiency of BlackBerry. I have been on team bb since last April when I traded a friend my Evo for his Curve 8530 and $150. I was a long time windows mobile guy and have also done a 1 year stint on iPhone. I think all the big names OS's are great tools, but IMO nothing knocks out messaging, tasks, calls, and sexiness like this 99 does. If you can add a PlayBook (what brought my attention to BlackBerry) to your geek arsenal than you will have the ultimate.
    03-21-12 12:24 PM
    I used Galaxy Nexus, returned it, went to 9930, returned it because network speeds were not faster than 9700 on AT&T and when I went back to my 9700 I kept tapping on the screen to go to my mail, or to scroll an e-mail for about a week after I finally adjusted back to 9700.

I want my 9900 back, but this time I will go with T-Mobile. The network speed of 9930 was just unbearable, just like my 9700 on with AT&T. I don't care about apps, fancy screens or thin/light form factor, what RIM needs to do is get their bandwidth bottle necks solved. 124kbps down on 3G? Come on... And don't blame the network, the device is still not fast when using wifi.. But I still love my BB!

PS: The built quality of 9930 may keep people from coming back to a BB especially from some of the finely crafted android/iphone/WM7 phones out there. 9930 felt good but as you played with it, it felt weird and uneven.
    03-22-12 09:32 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD