i've been a loyal bb user since '05 staring out with the 8700.
    im currently using the 9900.

my wife is about to make the switch to the iphone and honestly they only thing keeping me is bbm and the keyboard. one of the features i can't stand is the camera.
    i have twin boys and can't sit still and our of 20 shots ill have 2 that are good.
    i dont think i can wait anymore for bbx.

thoughts anyone?
    emirozmen likes this.
    11-29-11 02:53 PM
    bon chance

here is the appropriate forum for you
    http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...t-here-260887/
    11-29-11 02:58 PM
    Same feelings, will wait for iPhone 5 though...
    ardew likes this.
    11-29-11 03:03 PM
    If you think the iphone4s camera is going to save you, think again. High end Android phones also have 8m decent cameras, but in all cases, a $200 point and shoot camera can do better than that. I have a 4s and the quality of the pictures didn't impress me at all.
    Agreed the 9900 is not the best phone for its camera. The Torch 9810 with sliding keyboard has autofocus.

Now, if you want incredible pictures, it's better to invest your money in a decent DSLR camera with video recording.

My 2

Edit: I can guarantee you that the iphone5 camera will be no better. The smaller the sensor the crappier the photograph.
    Last edited by thecsman; 11-29-11 at 03:15 PM.
    11-29-11 03:10 PM
    If you think the iphone4s camera is going to save you, think again. High end Android phones also have 8m decent cameras, but in all cases, a $200 point and shoot camera can do better than that. I have a 4s and the quality of the pictures didn't impress me at all.
    Agreed the 9900 is not the best phone for its camera. The Torch 9810 with sliding keyboard has autofocus.

Now, if you want incredible pictures, it's better to invest your money in a decent DSLR camera with video recording.

My 2
    i agree.
    i use my d90 for "real photos" but i can't keep that in my back pocket and whip it out when my kid makes a cute face. the shutter speed really slow on the 9900 and the 9810 (my wife has this) its just frustrating. im surprised you're not impressed with the i4s cam the f2.8 lens isnt so great?
    11-29-11 03:18 PM
    Good luck. My wife got the 4s and likes the camera but hates the touchscreen for typing and the e-mail handling.

Personally I think it's a matter of if you are a heavy business-user or consumer.

PS- Congrats on the twins. I have a 10month old too and can relate about the pics.
    11-29-11 03:19 PM
    BTW - if you are interested in a trade let me know. My wife has until Dec 4th with ATT. It's in perfect shape.
    11-29-11 03:24 PM
    Don't do it if you text/message often. I have been using Blackberry since '00, and had an extra iPhone 4 lying around after the wife upgraded to a 4S so I activated it and tried out the iPhone for a good 3 weeks.

What a disaster. Granted, iPhone has some really cools apps - no argument there. Was nice to have United Airlines app on my phone so I could check in on the way to the airport and scan the code. I used Skype a couple times. But messaging was a complete nightmare. If you have time to sit down, undisturbed and concentrate on "typing on glass", yeah, iphone is ok. But I realized how efficient i was with the Blackberry - I could wip it out during red lights and get off a text or email under 5 seconds. That is impossible with the iPhone. I'm not sure people realize this, but you have to actually LOOK at the iPhone in order to type - this was a big pain in the *** for me.

I also realized, that while the Blackberry apps pale in comparison to the iPhone apps, all the apps I really use are available on the Blackberry - email, texting, whatsapp, kakaoTalk, Shazam, Tapatalk, Google Maps, Facebook, etc. It was nice having the Economist on the iPhone, but honestly, I don't really have time to use this app, and if I do, I want to do it on a bigger screen!

If you really really like quick, accurate, efficient typing and communication, you will hate the iPhone. If you find yourself with a lot of time (IE: at doctors office) and want to be entertained, then iPhone will be great. I personally, hated it.
    Last edited by Wangta; 11-29-11 at 03:27 PM.
    ardew likes this.
    11-29-11 03:24 PM
    Yeah, I had the same impression when they introduced the 4s. (2.8 glass, not bad, I said). It's not much better than other mobiles in low light. I'd say you can pull out decent 4x6 photos, you won't notice how grainy it gets.

As other folks are saying here, it's not just the camera. It's how much you lose compared to how much you gain.

Oh, and there's something else. People who try to be creative like the barista in the Samsung commercial. I love it when I dwarf them with my D700+battery grip and professional grade glass. Now you're taking pictures, yeah! =P Sorry for the digression.
    ardew likes this.
    11-29-11 03:48 PM
    The twins are adorable congrats!

For quick shots only I can see your point on the camera. For quick on the go shots I think the iphone is great. I can't count how many times I've been hanging out with friends, the kids are playing, someone goes to take a pic and then says "Hey you take it with the iPhone."

I will say that you should be sure to weigh what you feel you are losing with what you feel you are gaining. I wouldn't purchase the iPhone just for the camera. I love plenty of other features, but your OP was specific to the camera so I'll save my critiques and praise of anything else. Play with your wife's for a while. That should help you make the decision.

Good Luck!
    11-29-11 04:48 PM
    Good luck. My wife got the 4s and likes the camera but hates the touchscreen for typing and the e-mail handling.

Personally I think it's a matter of if you are a heavy business-user or consumer.

PS- Congrats on the twins. I have a 10month old too and can relate about the pics.
    thx
    im more consumer these days.
    i know the touch is gonna take some time to get used to it.

congrats to you as well.
    i cant tell you how many times i missed a shot and had my dslr with me.

pm sent.
    11-29-11 06:56 PM
    Don't do it if you text/message often. I have been using Blackberry since '00, and had an extra iPhone 4 lying around after the wife upgraded to a 4S so I activated it and tried out the iPhone for a good 3 weeks.

What a disaster. Granted, iPhone has some really cools apps - no argument there. Was nice to have United Airlines app on my phone so I could check in on the way to the airport and scan the code. I used Skype a couple times. But messaging was a complete nightmare. If you have time to sit down, undisturbed and concentrate on "typing on glass", yeah, iphone is ok. But I realized how efficient i was with the Blackberry - I could wip it out during red lights and get off a text or email under 5 seconds. That is impossible with the iPhone. I'm not sure people realize this, but you have to actually LOOK at the iPhone in order to type - this was a big pain in the *** for me.

I also realized, that while the Blackberry apps pale in comparison to the iPhone apps, all the apps I really use are available on the Blackberry - email, texting, whatsapp, kakaoTalk, Shazam, Tapatalk, Google Maps, Facebook, etc. It was nice having the Economist on the iPhone, but honestly, I don't really have time to use this app, and if I do, I want to do it on a bigger screen!

If you really really like quick, accurate, efficient typing and communication, you will hate the iPhone. If you find yourself with a lot of time (IE: at doctors office) and want to be entertained, then iPhone will be great. I personally, hated it.
    you're right.
    i do message a lot and that's really what's holding me back.
    i only have 3-5 apps on the bb that i use regularly, but i would def use a lot more on the iphone. im also thinking about whats coming as far as bbx seems like it's going all touch. am i right? not sure what to do yet...
    11-29-11 07:03 PM
    Yeah, I had the same impression when they introduced the 4s. (2.8 glass, not bad, I said). It's not much better than other mobiles in low light. I'd say you can pull out decent 4x6 photos, you won't notice how grainy it gets.

As other folks are saying here, it's not just the camera. It's how much you lose compared to how much you gain.

Oh, and there's something else. People who try to be creative like the barista in the Samsung commercial. I love it when I dwarf them with my D700+battery grip and professional grade glass. Now you're taking pictures, yeah! =P Sorry for the digression.
    i just got rid of my kit lenses and picked up a 17-55 tamron f2.8
    i wish i could carry that with me all day.
    11-29-11 07:06 PM
    The twins are adorable congrats!

For quick shots only I can see your point on the camera. For quick on the go shots I think the iphone is great. I can't count how many times I've been hanging out with friends, the kids are playing, someone goes to take a pic and then says "Hey you take it with the iPhone."

I will say that you should be sure to weigh what you feel you are losing with what you feel you are gaining. I wouldn't purchase the iPhone just for the camera. I love plenty of other features, but your OP was specific to the camera so I'll save my critiques and praise of anything else. Play with your wife's for a while. That should help you make the decision.

Good Luck!
    thank you!
    no you're right i should be more specific. it's def not just the camera. i'd love to have bank apps, sports apps, and other without going to the a mobile website to do it.
    i'll def play with my wifes first.
    11-29-11 07:09 PM
    nothing wrong in picking up an iphone 4s.siri attracts a lot of folks.
    11-29-11 07:25 PM
    I left my Bold 9900 for the same reason.

I sold my 9900 for $420 on craigslist after tinkering with it for two weeks. I'm a mac user and couldn't upload the new OS's for the life of me (see my other posts for that). I finally had access to a friend's PC and was able to install the new OS without a problem. The batter life issue had been resolved,

BUT....

when the time came to take a picture, I had enough. Coming from the Bold 9700, I couldn't believe this 600 dollar device hadn't better features. I quickly listed it on craigslist with plenty of pictures and sold it the same day.

I needed a phone that would eliminate my need for a digital camera and there are plenty of phones that can do that, the Bold 9900 not being one of them.

I also needed a keypad and so I searched for the best camera phone/4G/keypadded phone out there and discovered the HTC Mytouch 4G slide.

I am so happy with this phone! It has the best of both worlds with the touch screen and keypad.

As a mac user, I still wouldn't get the Iphone. THere are far better phones out there than the coveted iphone.

It seems like apple takes features that have already been released on other phones and then makes them more fun. My new HTC has voice text and voice search without all the stupid Siri responses.

Blackberry is falling behind on phone features, and this 9900 was the deal breaker. It seems like the only advocates for the 9900 are the business users who use it mainly for email. The keypad on the BB's are the best, I'll admit! I can type without looking, but that's about the coolest thing you can do with those phones.

My two cents...
    ardew likes this.
    11-29-11 07:38 PM
    Yes, I agree with what most users say here..
    That's why 2 phone's are best. One for work, one for play.
    ardew likes this.
    11-29-11 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD