01-18-12 01:26 PM
34 12
tools
    i purchased from otterbox, to casemate ( i have about 4 cases ) nothing feels better than the 9900 without a case... untill it falls.. then you go looking for the most bulky protected case..

my phone took a fall with the casemate barely there on... the bottom part of the shell is flat now.. i switched back to otterbox impact
    probably the thinnest case i got that provides some protection
    01-18-12 09:47 AM
    I have the OEM hardshell, and I can tell you that it is made of two different types of plastic. The back of it is a harder plastic, and the part that goes around the metal band is a softer, more rubbery type of plastic. There is no way it would ever scratch the metal band! Right now, I am actually using the hardshell because my camera lens/flash panel is recessed with that and protected from scratches. The hardshell is almost like going naked....I guess for me it's like a halfway house from the Commuter to just pure nakedness. I'm still hoping that someone who goes naked can comment on whether their camera lens/flash panel is still pristine, or is it all covered with fine scratches? I am enjoying all the replies....thanks!
    Thankyou this re-assured me and I just got it (on sale for half price!) So far love it and looks great!
    01-18-12 09:55 AM
    I used to run around naked with my BB 9000 because I would simply keep it in a side-loading leather holster when it wasn't in use. It provided ultimate protection from drops and things because normally I'd drop it when it was in the case, never when it was out.

When I got my 9900 I thought I would do the same thing, but there is no decent side-loading case (and not one that uses the magnet sensor, which is key) so I decided to try the Otterbox Commuter and I'm really liking it.

I don't think it detracts from the look of the phone much at all. In fact, in some ways it looks great in its own way! It almost looks like I "blacked out" my phone like people used to do with the old 9000.

My only complaints:
    - No magnet to auto-sleep, so now I have to set my display sleep to 10 seconds and actually use my sleep button. Annoying but I can get used to it.
    - The back of the Otterbox does not have the nice rubber edge like the naked phone so slippage is actually more likely.

What I like:
    - Blacked out Bold. I'll probably take it out of the case after a year when I want to see the normal phone again.
    - Doesn't add too much bulk. Still significantly thinner than any holster solution. I sometimes need to double check if it's still in my pocket.
    - Protects the screen and keys from a flat-on-face fall with raised edges
    - Raised edges makes it easier to grip the phone (from all angles except the back)
    - Awesome build quality. No variations or quirks between the ones I tried, unlike some products... *cough*TheBoldItself*cough*
    01-18-12 11:04 AM
    The day mine goes naked is the day I drop it. It's like insurance, you don't need it until you need it, then your glad you have it.
    01-18-12 11:20 AM
    I don't use a case. I only use the clip that came with my 9930 in the box. That does a pretty good job protecting it. If I have it out, I'm usually sitting down and I'm not so worried about dropping it.
    01-18-12 12:02 PM
    The was the only reason I hesitated to go naked. I had noticed small scratches on the lens cover and, just like the OP, thought it may not be glass. I just bought a replacement on ebay for 4 bucks and free shipping.
    Getting the camera lens scratched is the main reason for me to go caseless for my phones. How difficult is it to replace the camera lens on the 9900?
    01-18-12 12:19 PM
    Well thanks for all the replies...after all that...I don't think I'm ready to get naked just yet. My 9900 is still a virgin (never been dropped) and like another poster said, the day I take that case off is the day the inevitable will happen. But good to know that if that camera lens cover does get scratched, I can get a new one.
    Cheers!
    01-18-12 12:22 PM
    I switch from the commuter case to naked...back and forth all the time. If I knew I'd never drop it again I prolly wouldn't ever cover it back up. It is the classiest looking phone on the market!
    01-18-12 01:05 PM
    i have naked since one without any problems
    01-18-12 01:26 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD