I've been considering losing the Otterbox Commuter case and going naked with my 9900. I always carried my 9700 naked and never ran into any major problems doing it. I know the carbon fiber look back cover does get fine scratches in it very easily just from putting it down even on clean surfaces, but I'm more worried about how easily the camera lens/flash panel scratches. The touchscreen is very difficult to scratch...and I wonder if maybe the camera lens/flash panel might be as scratch resistant. Can anyone comment on this? The little glass covers on my 9700 camera lens and flash got very scratched, and I don't want the same thing to happen to the 9900.
    01-17-12 11:22 PM
    I am naked all the way. Sometimes when I put it in my bag i place it in a hooster, then when I'm done the holster dissapears And when i am with more than 6 7 friends and when I know they will be tossing aroud the phone or when they have chance to hit the phone by accident. Anyways you get the idea: 6 days a week it is naked, one day I take my hard shell case. Super setup for me.
    01-17-12 11:35 PM
    After about a week of using my 9900, i noticed some noticeable scuffs on the rubbery parts in the back. I think they came from my keys cause i always put them in the same pocket. Havn't had any more scuffs since i got a leather holster.

If you're worried about scratching the camera, some screen protectors come with the camera portion as well. I got a martin fields one myself.
    01-18-12 01:05 AM
    I have mine naked 99% of the time. I originally used a case but found the phone is too beautiful when its without a case and the convienance and lock button on the top are harder to press with a case on the phone.

I love the metal band around the phone and people often ask if its an iPhone because of it. Why cover the metal band with a case?

I think the high end look of this phone is best achieved without a case. Although it's sometimes slippery, I still say no case!
    01-18-12 01:37 AM
    After about a week of using my 9900, i noticed some noticeable scuffs on the rubbery parts in the back. I think they came from my keys cause i always put them in the same pocket. Havn't had any more scuffs since i got a leather holster.

If you're worried about scratching the camera, some screen protectors come with the camera portion as well. I got a martin fields one myself.

Only problem with that is that the screen protector WILL scratch, its just a plastic covering. And I assume the OP is more concerned with scratches on the camera glass covering messing with picture quality, but not sure.
    01-18-12 01:50 AM
    Yeah I go naked as well. I purchased the commuter case with my phone and that lasted about 2 weeks... the 9900 is just to sexy looking to hide under a case. Plus my super thin blackberry wasn't so super thin in a case...

After watching the video of keys getting scrapped on the playbook glass without it scratching i took the protectors off both my playbook and 9900 gotta say no marks yet...

I am careful not to put my keys in the same pocket as my phone (why tempt fate) but other then that I don't really take any precautions
    01-18-12 01:52 AM
    Naked ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
    01-18-12 02:07 AM
    holster all the time...just that...no other case or skin..works for me
    01-18-12 02:08 AM
    I've been considering losing the Otterbox Commuter case and going naked with my 9900. I always carried my 9700 naked and never ran into any major problems doing it. I know the carbon fiber look back cover does get fine scratches in it very easily just from putting it down even on clean surfaces, but I'm more worried about how easily the camera lens/flash panel scratches. The touchscreen is very difficult to scratch...and I wonder if maybe the camera lens/flash panel might be as scratch resistant. Can anyone comment on this? The little glass covers on my 9700 camera lens and flash got very scratched, and I don't want the same thing to happen to the 9900.
    Easy, Just get those "Full body amour(transparent)" film to wrap up most parts of the phone including the battery door and the camera/flash panel. Im using it too, but is equipped with Otterbox Defender case. So my phone is fully protected.

Thought of losing that bulky case too..But accident do happen at times...So better be safe than sorry.
    01-18-12 02:41 AM
    Naked 24/7
    01-18-12 02:47 AM
    Naked mostly, leather pocket holster when in my backpack or purse.
    01-18-12 03:08 AM
    Yeah I only have a case for my phone for when I am working or when I don't like to carry it on my pocket but then I usually like to use my phone naked it feels so much nicer and yeah I do take the risk of incase I drop the phone or something but I like to hold my phone when no case or anything
    01-18-12 03:47 AM
    Oops... took this totally the wrong way and was looking for pics! ;-)

Really though, my 9900 has been mostly naked since day one around Thanksgiving. I occasionally slip it in to the provided holster. I really enjoy the feel of it bare... However, I'd like a sleeve or "pocket" to slip it in before putting it in my jeans.
    01-18-12 04:04 AM
    I use mine naked but very occasionally keep it in the holster, depends how I feel. It's 2nd hand (belonged to my cousin) and AFAIK has always been used naked, which you can see from the back, the rubber area is scuffed and dented in several places and there is a deep scratch on the camera area plastic (above the flash so it doesn't affect anything), doesn't bother me especially because it's the back, the front is fine. I've been considering getting the OEM hard shell but I'm not sure if it would scratch the metal band when putting it on or taking it off.
    01-18-12 04:10 AM
    Do it! The otterbox case just takes away from the look of the phone. I've been using the BB leather pocket pouch. Love it. Get to use my phone naked but slip it into a pouch when carrying it around.
    01-18-12 05:07 AM
    I am too conservative to go naked. However, I have to admit that mine does look really good naked!
    01-18-12 05:11 AM
    If camera lens scratches you can buy a new one.They are 4 bucks on ebay and are only stuck on with double sided tape.
    melander likes this.
    01-18-12 06:10 AM
    I use mine naked but very occasionally keep it in the holster, depends how I feel. It's 2nd hand (belonged to my cousin) and AFAIK has always been used naked, which you can see from the back, the rubber area is scuffed and dented in several places and there is a deep scratch on the camera area plastic (above the flash so it doesn't affect anything), doesn't bother me especially because it's the back, the front is fine. I've been considering getting the OEM hard shell but I'm not sure if it would scratch the metal band when putting it on or taking it off.
    I have the OEM hardshell, and I can tell you that it is made of two different types of plastic. The back of it is a harder plastic, and the part that goes around the metal band is a softer, more rubbery type of plastic. There is no way it would ever scratch the metal band! Right now, I am actually using the hardshell because my camera lens/flash panel is recessed with that and protected from scratches. The hardshell is almost like going naked....I guess for me it's like a halfway house from the Commuter to just pure nakedness. I'm still hoping that someone who goes naked can comment on whether their camera lens/flash panel is still pristine, or is it all covered with fine scratches? I am enjoying all the replies....thanks!
    Last edited by sulcopete; 01-18-12 at 06:48 AM.
    royeight likes this.
    01-18-12 06:41 AM
    I prefer the Seidio active . It gives me a better grip and looks awsome! Naked is great but too slippery and thin. I need some meat on my Blackberry! haahah
    01-18-12 06:49 AM
    I've had mine naked for the past four months. Although I do use the OEM leather pocket pouch for carrying around in my pocket. I have not had any problems with scratches on camera portion or the screen.
    sulcopete likes this.
    01-18-12 07:35 AM
    Naked here except for a pocket pouch it goes in before going in the pocket.
    01-18-12 07:41 AM
    Naked here except for a pocket pouch it goes in before going in the pocket.
    Same for me. The only problem I have with the holster is that it scratches the stainless steel band around the phone. Very lightly though.

Anyway, I don't baby the phone and it has fallen quite a few times and the stainless steel has taken a knock on a few edges but it is hardly visible.

Does anybody know if the screen scratches easily or not?
    01-18-12 08:02 AM
    If camera lens scratches you can buy a new one.They are 4 bucks on ebay and are only stuck on with double sided tape.
    The was the only reason I hesitated to go naked. I had noticed small scratches on the lens cover and, just like the OP, thought it may not be glass. I just bought a replacement on ebay for 4 bucks and free shipping.
    01-18-12 08:25 AM
    Does the white one get too many scratches on the battery door? Or does it get dirtier (blackish color) like the white 9700/80?
    01-18-12 08:27 AM
    Nude berries
    That film protector is more like "see-through" clothing
    sulcopete likes this.
    01-18-12 08:41 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD