With all the work they put into the back end architecture and all the money spent on marketing the new video chat product - i think that their top end flagship bberry should be able to use the service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 06:11 PM
    Most of the people i know with iphones hardly use facetime and they have a big screen. I doubt id use it if it was on a small screen like the bold. Just doesnt interest me much. Dont get all the love for front facing cams
    05-03-11 06:17 PM
    I've got an iPhone 4 as my daily driver and honestly when I first heard about FaceTime I was stoked but literally have only used it TWICE.
    brava27 likes this.
    05-03-11 06:25 PM
    I have used my TB front camera sooo many times.... zero times a day.
    05-03-11 06:32 PM
    front cameras are fun for the first day. After that, you forget it is even there.
    Blackberry knows what it is doing.
    05-03-11 06:52 PM
    We've had front facing cameras on 3G smart and dumb phones since 2003 in the UK.
    I don't know anyone who's ever used theirs more than once... just for a laugh

Nothing more than a gimmick IMO
    05-03-11 06:57 PM
    Can't say I agree with any of this. I use it at least once a month, if not more for a few days when away on business to chat with my kids. I bring along our ipod touch 4, and facetime with our MacBook at home or with my son's notebook through skype....it's used by many people i know.....it's all about individual preference and perspective...I think at least 50% of users think it's important..
    05-03-11 06:58 PM
    I think at least 50% of users think it's important..
    50% based on what though... And it's not just a matter of if it's considered important (at all) or not, it's whether or not it influences phone purchases significantly...
    05-03-11 07:01 PM
    I think at least 50% of users think it's important..
    ...and the remaining 95% of users think it's a waste of space
    05-03-11 07:03 PM
    ...and the remaining 95% of users think it's a waste of space
    i don't blame you.. considering smart or dumb phones in europe using video chat on 3G were crap 5 years ago....the wifi experience post 2010 is very cool

vive la diff�rence.....to each his own....
    05-03-11 07:10 PM
    Whether used or not, it's a mistake IMO for RIM to leave out a front facing cam on the 9900/9930... Even for business video conferencing it could be useful, let alone people that Skype or video chat...

Perhaps RIM will wait and include once they have an LTE blackberry...
    05-03-11 07:27 PM
    Whether used or not, it's a mistake IMO for RIM to leave out a front facing cam on the 9900/9930... Even for business video conferencing it could be useful, let alone people that Skype or video chat...

That's like assuming it's a mistake not to include NFC on any phones released now, which isn't really proven yet...
    05-03-11 07:31 PM
    I got the HTC Evo and have only used it a handful of times
    05-03-11 07:32 PM
    eh, its not a deal breaker for me. dont care for voice calling. it would just rack up my data usage, which id want to keep below 200mb
    05-04-11 12:52 AM
    I used it on my iphone like 3 times for actual FaceTime. The best use I've found for it is to check yourself when you're out and about. A discrete mirror so to speak.
    05-04-11 01:01 AM

I agree.... I think it is a stupid decision that RIM decided to go with no front facing camera because even business users use them.
    05-04-11 01:06 AM
    A front facing camera would have been nice. I live abroad and all my family members have Blackberry, so it would have helped keep us connected instead of relying on Skype.

But will that stop me from buying the phone the second it comes out? NO.
    05-04-11 08:11 AM
    I agree.... I think it is a stupid decision that RIM decided to go with no front facing camera because even business users use them.
    the fact RIM put one on the Playbook, means they buy into it... and I think it makes more sense on a phone than a tablet, but having front facing cams on both means all these devices could video conf together, or skype, or whatever... but nope, RIM omitted that from the 9900 for some reason... I suspect it might be an OS limitation (OS 6.1/7 vs QNX on PB), and possibly them waiting for LTE before doing it... since on the PB, most often (and all of them right now) you'd be on WiFi, but on a BB, most often you'd be on cellular... and video over 3G frankly sucks... so LTE inclusion for front facing cams on BBs makes sense...
    05-04-11 10:03 AM
    50% based on what though... And it's not just a matter of if it's considered important (at all) or not, it's whether or not it influences phone purchases significantly...
    I gotta agree with Papped on this one. All in all I think that should be included as RIM does need a powerhouse of a phone with tons of features for a september launch in order to compete with the pending doom of the iPhone 5. As someone who works for Rogers down here in Canada IMO, the more features of the new bold we can push to customers the better sales that will occur which will obviously benefit RIM. Me and a friend were discussing this entire topic and he made a good point in asking how much will the possibility of video calling on the new bold affect software speed and battery life? Now we can all honestly say that while BB's have good batteries, alot of the time the more apps we use and put on these devices the more juice we lose. Please don't go and flag me as a RIM hater cause i'm farrrrrrrrrr from that. I love all my BB's but we gotta be a little realistic people. Just Saying in my opinion.
    05-04-11 10:50 AM
    a front facing camera would have been nice. I live abroad and all my family members have blackberry, so it would have helped keep us connected instead of relying on skype.

But will that stop me from buying the phone the second it comes out? No.
    my thoughts exactly lol! Same situation for me!
    05-04-11 10:51 AM
    Must have as IPhone, IPad and Driods will have it soon.

People want the option of having them, even if they don't use them.

We need cutting edge items not follow the leader as RIM is doing now.
    Its like buying a Vet, you may not use all the power and speed it has but it adds to the cool factors. Something RIM has been missing for sometime.

Tim
    05-04-11 11:58 AM
    It would have been really interesting to have one on the 9900, the possibility of its integration with BBM would have been amazing. BBM would be the ultimate messenger app.
    05-04-11 12:07 PM
    I dont buy the whole "business users would use it" complaint. You really think they are going to have meeting on a handheld phone? RIM made a device for this called the Playbook. Put it in the dock, connect it via HDMI to a big screen. Perfect. If business users are dying for video conferencing, they will go get a real solution, not a Blackberry. This is strictly for personal use. Ok, I could possibly see a "on the go" business call...

I think RIM is just waiting for Tech to mature to make sure they release something the networks can handle. 4G/LTE seems like the right time.
    05-04-11 12:07 PM
    Main reason I think it should have been included is that these devices are primarily sold on 2-year contracts and I'm guessing most people will come to embrace video calling during that time. It might not be widespread today, but once most of your coworkers and friends/family on android or ios have front cameras, you're going to wish this one did. While this device is a good upgrade from any BB today, in two years it will seem like a dinosaur, as the current BB's today feel to me.

I use video calling almost daily with my family since I travel quite a bit, and I don't even have a front camera. I use a mirror....
    05-04-11 12:11 PM
    That's what the Playbook is for. Buy it and use the HD cameras on it.
    05-04-11 01:39 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD