Well, the only reason why Blackberry is living is BBM ! Without that , there's no RIM , no blackberry , nothing !
    And Apple lives for its wide variety of cool and useful apps ! And some other features , which honestly , Blackberry doesn't have .
    But then Apple decided to make an alloy of BB and Apple by adding "iMessage" to their new iOS 5 coming this fall , and I really don't know if they're gonna succeed in this imessage . But its clearly taken from BB , because no other phone has such a way of messaging and chatting in this easy way ! In this case , I guess Apple is gonna have even more sales , after iPhone 5 comes out and we still don't know anything precise about how iphone 5 will look like or what even new features it will have !
    I suggest RIM to expand their work on the appworld and their apps ..
    My Opinion !
    09-16-11 02:24 PM
    They all copy whatever is best and not strongly patent-protected. The new Bold has a very awesome stainless steel band around it that is similar to the iPhone's trim.

I say copy away. Copy and improve. RIM should do the same. It is good for us all.
    Mikey112, dani-b, zephryn and 4 others like this.
    09-16-11 02:54 PM
    rim is a lot more than just bbm....besides, there are already apps like whatsapp, gchat, kik, etc. imessage wont make too big of a difference.

even with imessage, i wouldnt consider switching to an iphone. when apple 'invents' a homescreen, a keyboard, a menu button, and a back button, then ill look at apple products.
    09-16-11 03:06 PM
    Right, except iPhone doesn't have the keyboard. It's not just BBM. It's the ease of sending messages through it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    big_time2 and dani-b like this.
    09-16-11 03:28 PM
    The "ease" of sending? Do explain.
    09-16-11 03:42 PM
    You don't know if iMessage will succeed? Let me help you out: It will succeed.

It's built-in to the message app itself unlike BBM, therefore there is no way in which it will not succeed as the only way for that to happen is if people stop using their phone for text based messaging altogether. It's not a matter of copying so much as it is a matter of execution; if a company can do something similar and execute better, they will probably succeed more, it's simple. Steve Jobs even said it himself(a quote of a quote) with something like "good artists copy, great artists steal." I'm sure people will/would jump on this and say something like "yeah Apple and Steve Jobs never did anything original and copied everyone else." But that's a completely different argument.
    09-16-11 03:55 PM
    Who comes up with an idea first only matters for a short period of time. After that it's all about who has the most money to pour into R&D, figuring out how to make the idea better.

So, Apple will probably take the cake on this one.

...In my extremely humble, barely out of high school, opinion
    09-16-11 04:49 PM
    Let me tell everyone how iMessage works to begin with. It is not a separate app like BBM it is integrated into messaging like Dalton mentioned above. When the iPhone "sees" another iPhone the SMS changes automatically to iMessage. And from what I have learned by running iOS 5 since beta one it does not count against any text messaging counts. You don't have to sign up for it, ask another person their PIN or any info. It just happens and works quite well.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-16-11 at 05:09 PM.
    09-16-11 05:06 PM
    The "ease" of sending? Do explain.
    Simple. I find it easier to type on a physical keyboard, especially one as good as the Bold's. I also find it very easy to reply to messages. Once I see that LED blinking, I press my convenience key to take me straight to the inbox. The point is, it's not just the BBM software itself, but also the hardware that is becoming more and more exclusive to BlackBerrys.

09-16-11 05:12 PM
    Let me tell everyone how iMessage works to begin with. It is not a separate app like BBM it is integrated into messaging like Dalton mentioned above. When the iPhone "sees" another iPhone the SMS changes automatically to iMessage. And from what I have learned by running iOS 5 since beta one it does not count against any text messaging counts. You don't have to sign up for it, ask another person their PIN or any info. It just happens and works quite well.
    You're right. you just have to ask them for their phone number.
    09-16-11 05:18 PM
    Simple. I find it easier to type on a physical keyboard, especially one as good as the Bold's. I also find it very easy to reply to messages. Once I see that LED blinking, I press my convenience key to take me straight to the inbox. The point is, it's not just the BBM software itself, but also the hardware that is becoming more and more exclusive to BlackBerrys.

Got it... you meant ease of using a physical keyboard for YOU. It wasn't clear in that first post. I almost took you for one of the close-minded BB users who cannot fathom that some people actually prefer virtual keyboards and can be just as productive as they are.
    09-16-11 05:42 PM
    Well, the only reason why Blackberry is living is BBM ! Without that , there's no RIM , no blackberry , nothing !
    And Apple lives for its wide variety of cool and useful apps ! And some other features , which honestly , Blackberry doesn't have .
    But then Apple decided to make an alloy of BB and Apple by adding "iMessage" to their new iOS 5 coming this fall , and I really don't know if they're gonna succeed in this imessage . But its clearly taken from BB , because no other phone has such a way of messaging and chatting in this easy way ! In this case , I guess Apple is gonna have even more sales , after iPhone 5 comes out and we still don't know anything precise about how iphone 5 will look like or what even new features it will have !
    I suggest RIM to expand their work on the appworld and their apps ..
    My Opinion !
    You can't be serious! BBM is the ONLY reason RIM exists!!!??? What a laugh.
    dani-b and nikolas4129 like this.
    09-16-11 06:06 PM
    Disagree. I came back to BB after using 5 top of the line android devices and BBM is certainly not one of them. I only have 1 friend that has BBM. You can't just go making assumptions based on your beliefs. You have to take an unbiased approach when trying to make generalizations or they will be flawed.

Things that BB has that no one else does.
    1. Great keyboard
    2. LED notification (Decent number of Android devices don't even have it and if they do they are just single colored now. The X had multiple color, Thunderbolt had only 1, Charge had none, and Incredible 2 has single color).
    3.Battery life is much better on BB. With my last Droid Charge, I had brightness on 20%, bluetooth and wifi off, forced to 3g, and I get 14 hours max on light use. On the BB 9930 I get 18-20ish on moderate to slightly heavy usage.
    4. Call quality was subpar on average on the Android platform. The TB had great call quality and the X had acceptable call quality. All the other 3 that I had did not fare so well.

There are more I am sure but hey I doubt you'll be reading this anyways so why bother writing any more?
    dani-b and lostOzone like this.
    09-16-11 06:06 PM
    Got it... you meant ease of using a physical keyboard for YOU.
    Yes... When I say that a physical keyboard is easier to type on, it should be implied that I'm speaking on my behalf, unless someone hacks my CrackBerry account for some reason and posts without my consent. Adding in "in my opinion", or "I think" is redundant and only makes me sound unsure of myself.
    Furthermore, that does nothing to address my point that "in my opinion", BBM is much more than just a social messaging platform. It's the epitome of all the standard features of a BlackBerry that makes it excel at messaging, "in my opinion". These features include the physical keyboard (along with keyboard shortcuts), the convenience key, the LED notification light (yes, I'm aware that the iPhone 5 may be getting something similar, and it's about time), the push technology for security and battery life, the trackpad for easy editing of errors, the various sound profiles, etc... I think...
    09-16-11 06:13 PM
    how can human chat on a touchscreen? yes you can type/email but no way you can do constant chat without physical keyboard.
    09-16-11 06:25 PM

Most companies seem to have unlimited text plans and a really low one that has 500 or so text messages. Most of us that text alot have those unlimited plans so "BBM" and "iMessage" aren't helping us save text message uses. And like "BBM" it only works with the iphone. How does that help when there are so many people with so many different phones. Let's be honest if Android did this it would be a much bigger deal. I see androids all over the place. Iphones not so much for how well they're apparently doing.
    09-16-11 06:36 PM
    I am just so impressed by this new social dynamic that apple has invented with iMessage. It is really innovative, I cant see why nobody thought of it before. They should sue RIM for trying to copy them with BBM!
    09-16-11 06:43 PM

How does that help when there are so many people with so many different phones. Let's be honest if Android did this it would be a much bigger deal. I see androids all over the place. Iphones not so much for how well they're apparently doing.
    Google actually has a BBM-like variant, I forget what it's called but I don't think it was/will be received with as much fanfare as iMessage. You see 'androids' all over the place because Android offers any manufacturers their OS -- which is what Android is, an OS, not a specific phone -- so there are many more phone manufacturers using Android because that's the only choice unless they want to make their own OS themselves and face a huge uphill battle against already established operating systems like Android, BBOS, iOS, Windows etc. It's safe to say through research that as an operating system Android does outnumber iOS, but as a phone manufacturer Apple crushes all others(Samsung, HTC, RIM, LG, Motorola). With that, you may also draw the conclusion that Apple is leading the pack in smartphones, but you can also say this is my opinion as Android has somewhat successfully diluted the market through offering their OS for free use.

EDIT: it is useful not only because it is an iPhone-iPhone service, but also because you have the opportunity for group chat, delivery receipts, read receipts etc. which will make messaging much 'better.' BBM is a success even though so many people have different phones, so I think iMessage will be a success for the same reasons. Personally, of the 4 or 5 people who I am very close to and talk with on any sort of basis, all but one of them have an iPhone and he plans on getting one when the new one is released.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 09-16-11 at 07:34 PM.
    dani-b likes this.
    09-16-11 07:31 PM
    Did we really need ANOTHER thread for this OP?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-16-11 07:44 PM
    Google actually has a BBM-like variant, I forget what it's called but I don't think it was/will be received with as much fanfare as iMessage.
    Do you mean Google Talk? I only have about three people on my list for that application, and unfortunately one of them is a close friend so I have to keep it on all the time. Haha.
    09-16-11 07:55 PM

Cool story bro

Uhmmmm so does BBM....LoL I prefer the added feature of blocking someone.

It just works.....Dude! Thanks for laugh!!!
    09-16-11 08:03 PM

So true and a hard send and end key is way more important than I thought.
    09-16-11 08:24 PM
    It really makes me laugh when nowadays someone said "They copy me ...". Don't you ever hear the word "globalization" and the phrase "the world is flat"? Let me read to you these lovely words: "whatever can be done, will be done. Either by you or to you".
    dani-b likes this.
    09-16-11 10:21 PM
    One good thing about iMessage is it'll probably be incorporated into iChat. I can now iMessage someone on their iphone using my macbook pro. Sweet! Beats having to fumble between typing on a phone and the computer in the midst of doing work.
    09-16-11 10:37 PM
    Everybody keeps saying the only reason people is buying a blackberry now is because of BBM. I've own a couple, but I've yet to use BBM. None of my friends uses a blackberry, maybe like two...
    09-16-11 10:45 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD