I have a Bold 9930 which is bricked. I loved the phone except for the fact that it bricked within two months and was unable to be repaired. My question to you is if the newer firmwares such as 7.1 and higher still have the bricking issue or is it something of the past. I am getting a 990 for around $200 and want to know if to take it or not ?
    03-02-12 12:36 PM
    It's a thing of the past.

We haven't seen a bricking post for a couple of days now, so there's your proof.
    03-02-12 12:42 PM
    Had mine for over a week and new OS to boot (upgraded the day I got it) and no bricking issues.
    03-02-12 12:45 PM
    I have mine for 4 months now n I started using it with 205 as a first thing n never bricked. I even let battery drain completely
    03-02-12 12:48 PM
    I haven't had one brick yet and I am on my forth 9930 for various reasons. I personally feel that its a manufacturing issue more than a general hardware failure in all bolds.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-02-12 12:48 PM
    Right there has been less threads because of this 7.1 built
    03-02-12 02:15 PM
    03-02-12 02:21 PM

We haven't seen a bricking post for a couple of days now, so there's your proof.
    Maybe more like a few hours... someone always sneaks a brick issue in somehow.

You'll get a kick outta this... this morning I went to go grab mine off the charger and a big WTF was said out loud. It wasn't charged, it was sitting at 35%. I slapped myself to make sure it I wasn't dreaming.

Yeah.. the charger was unplugged from the wall. Who's the dumb*** now?

Not too bad though. When I thought I put it on the charger it was under 45% and it was only at 35% this morning.
    Last edited by dustanh; 03-02-12 at 02:37 PM.
    03-02-12 02:33 PM
    Not at all... I charge my phone overnight too... I think it was a OS issue in the past builds that cause these issues. I am happy....
    03-02-12 03:08 PM

You'll get a kick outta this... this morning I went to go grab mine off the charger and a big WTF was said out loud. It wasn't charged, it was sitting at 35%. I slapped myself to make sure it I wasn't dreaming.

Not too bad though. When I thought I put it on the charger it was under 45% and it was only at 35% this morning.
    Bricking is most likely caused by combination of many different factors. I think a combination of OS, the type of apps and how the phone is used (extensive web browsing during the day for example). This is why it is so hard to pin point what's the problem.
    03-02-12 03:10 PM
    Bricking is most likely caused by combination of many different factors. I think a combination of OS, the type of apps and how the phone is used (extensive web browsing during the day for example). This is why it is so hard to pin point what's the problem.
    Yeah my post was more of a "funny" dumb moment... not regarding bricking.
    03-02-12 03:13 PM
    Had my 9900 for about 4 months and no bricking. For those that it's happened to, did it just stop working or was it when you went to turn it on?

(I still have 7.0)
    03-02-12 03:53 PM

Lol! I've done that before too.
    03-02-12 03:56 PM
    I've had my 9900 for about 4 months or so, not a single issue. I loaded the leaked 7.1.0.267 and it seems to be for the best, just my 2 cents lol
    03-02-12 04:49 PM
    Hi all did Virgin Mobile release the 7.1 update? I ordered a 9900 from them today.
    Thanks in advance.
    03-02-12 05:06 PM
    Now that you ask this question... there is not 1 thread on the main 99xx page about bricking.. wow.. it actually will go away by itself without an explanation from RIM...
    Looks like RIM is gonna get away with it
    Regardless of the way they handled the PR of it. Good job to RIM.
    03-02-12 08:06 PM
    And no, no bricking for my 9900 after updating many times and charging in cars, at night etc.
    03-02-12 08:08 PM
    I'm on my 3rd that came with 7.1 installed. I won't be happy anywhere else so I told Vz to "just keep them coming". The tech support girl said they are fully aware of the issue and don't have a problem replacing them for me. She did let me know what we see as numerous bricking is nothing compared to the new Droids bricking epidemic. So far 7.1 seems very stable. As long as BB 10 drops, I'll use my upgrade when it does.
    03-02-12 10:21 PM
    Thanks Guys ! As soon as I get my new 9900/30 I will definitely make sure it's on 7.1 or later. But just one more question. What is the most stable software out right now with the least bugs.
    03-03-12 08:49 AM
    Thanks Guys ! As soon as I get my new 9900/30 I will definitely make sure it's on 7.1 or later. But just one more question. What is the most stable software out right now with the least bugs.
    7.1.0.267 is the latest leaked OS and has just been made official by Sprint for the 9930.

Seems to be fairly bug free, I have been running on my 9900 since the day it leaked with no issues.
    03-03-12 08:56 AM
    It is a little early to really know. There are also less users.

Phill . . . . . is this REALLY proof?

Now that you ask this question... there is not 1 thread on the main 99xx page about bricking.. wow.. it actually will go away by itself without an explanation from RIM...
    Looks like RIM is gonna get away with it
    Regardless of the way they handled the PR of it. Good job to RIM.
    I am still from the old school and think there is a hardware problem and RIM has provided software to work around the defect.

What? After all of the above and everyone bragging about 7.1, you are asking which software is more stable????

03-03-12 10:48 AM
    Phill . . . . . is this REALLY proof?
    3 days without a bricking thread now... that's proof enough for me Greg
    03-03-12 10:52 AM
    Hi all did Virgin Mobile release the 7.1 update? I ordered a 9900 from them today.
    Thanks in advance.
    Most companies take a long time to release updated OS versions. So, I would just load the leaked OS version because most of the time, not always, the leaked OS versions are better than the official OS.
    03-03-12 11:45 AM
    I'm on my 3rd that came with 7.1 installed. I won't be happy anywhere else so I told Vz to "just keep them coming". The tech support girl said they are fully aware of the issue and don't have a problem replacing them for me. She did let me know what we see as numerous bricking is nothing compared to the new Droids bricking epidemic. So far 7.1 seems very stable. As long as BB 10 drops, I'll use my upgrade when it does.
    I'm sorry you've been having this problem, Albee1, but you seem to be taking it in stride. Just keep 'em coming! I'm sure it will all be ironed out eventually, and maybe it is already. In any case, enjoy the new Bold. I handled one in the Sprint store for the first time the other day and loved it. If my 9650 is a ten on a scale of one to ten (and it is), the 9930 is an eleven as far as keyboard and form factor are concerned! I'm sure the performance blows away that of my 9650, too. Interesting what they told you about the android bricking ...
    Last edited by T�nis; 03-03-12 at 12:12 PM.
    03-03-12 12:09 PM
    Think maybe it's a little too soon to say for sure. Definitely looking promising tho.
    03-03-12 12:37 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD