I know it voids in some countries including US. But in many EU nations and Japan, unlocking a phone which customer paid in FULL is a right. In other words, it will not void the warranty because the phone is NOT modified illegally.

The question is our big greedy cooperate loving not so democratic Canada, what is the CRTC legal documents says on this? I Googled it and can't seems to find it.

Like in Japan, do I have the right to unlock a phone after paying for the phone in FULL price and it won't void the warranty? Or our government bent over to get raped by Robbers, Billus and other phone companies?
    08-11-11 11:50 AM
    If you buy a device for full price, then AT&T will provide the unlock code and thus keeps the warranty in tact. I'm not sure about other carriers, but I don't think anyone can void the warranty if you paid full retail price for the device.

I would assume (I know......it makes an......haha) that Canada will follow suit.
    mssca likes this.
    08-11-11 11:52 AM
    This is what I found on wikipedia: "In Canada, there are no laws regulating SIM locking or unlocking. As of March 22nd, 2011 No Canadian wireless service provider sells unlocked phones, However, Wind Mobile offers the unlock code for free after 90 days of paid service. On December 15, 2010 Rogers Communications started offering to unlock their full range of mobile phones for $50, after purchase, in response to public pressure on the issue brought to bear from the campaign associated with Bill C-560. Bell Mobility now unlocks phones, though not their full range of handsets, however this is for $75 and only under special circumstances. As of June 2010, the iPhone also became available unlocked when purchased for full price directly from Apple in Canada. Changes to the Copyright Act proposed by the Canadian government in Bill C-32,[10] introduced on June 2, 2010, would maintain the legality of unlocking mobile phones,[11][12] but include no measures to encourage unlocking.

On June 17, 2010, Member of Parliament Bruce Hyer (Thunder Bay-Superior North) introduced Private Member's Bill C-560,[13] called the Cell Phone Freedom Act, which would prohibit carriers from selling SIM locked phones in Canada without first informing the consumer of the existence of such a lock. C-560 bill additionally mandates that phone companies selling new phones must unlock customer phones, without charge, at the end of contract or upon purchase of phone outright, when requested by the customer."

SIM lock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is this means in legal terms?
    bbquincar likes this.
    08-11-11 12:24 PM
    So I would suggest getting a US or overseas unit that is unlocked so you don't have to deal with the BS up north. It is amazing how draconian the laws are in Canada on certain matters like blank media, cellphones, etc.
    08-11-11 09:42 PM
    If you buy a device for full price, then AT&T will provide the unlock code and thus keeps the warranty in tact. I'm not sure about other carriers, but I don't think anyone can void the warranty if you paid full retail price for the device.

I would assume (I know......it makes an......haha) that Canada will follow suit.
    Not sure what you mean by paid in full, I think it may did you renew you contract or buy it from an authorized places (Best Buy, Walmart, AT&T store)

AT&T has given me the unlocked code for my 3 times. One LG and 2 blackberries (lost my first 8900 soon after unlocking). I bought my first 8900 on Amazon and it cost me a penny. So that was my full price. I did wait a year to get it unlocked though just in case they were hesitant.

However, they did ask me if I got my phone discounted or whatever. Not sure if I was not supposed to get it. My bill is less than $100 a month so no special treatment for me.
    08-11-11 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD