I got thinking about the seeming lack of organization involved in the release of the 9900 and it got me thinking that this had been done on purpose by RIM.

If there is an big official release, like the Torch or the Playbook, the press sits in wait and invariably runs stories about how the product is such a failure because there is no iPhone-esque overnight line-ups. As we have seen, the bloggers have already condemned the phone without even having tried them out. The message to the public/shareholder is to steer clear of RIM - don't buy the phone or the stock.

If you release the phones in dribs and drabs, without super-biased reviews from the Apple-loving blogs, you allow the product to speak for itself and don't write off a segment of the consumers who believe the unfounded negative hype.

Just a thought.
    08-09-11 04:20 PM
    Ehh.. I don't think people expect iphone like releases... I'm pretty sure the public understands that it only happens for apple products...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 04:24 PM
    My theory is that everyone who will IMMEDIATELY get the 9900/9930 knows the phone is being released soon. But (Verizon?) by holding-out to the last minute to announce the date, you give the competition the impression that your release date will be later-rather-than-sooner.

Now (Verizon!!) can release the phone this week (it could still happen), taking ATT by suprise and perhaps nabbing subscibers who will opt for the earliest release date -- whether on ATT or on Verizon.
    Last edited by Mykl; 08-09-11 at 05:06 PM.
    08-09-11 04:24 PM
    I don't think they planned for that to happen but it might still work to their benefit.

I really think the success of the bold 9900/9930 will depend on word of mouth and not what tech bloggers are saying, since like you said, they've already condemned it before even using it.
    08-09-11 04:26 PM
    Lack of organization? The device is already starting to show up in certain places. The carriers release the devices when they see fit. RIM has already been getting the devices to the carriers. So when your carrier is done adding their stuff to the new phones and their staffs are set, that's when you'll see your release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-11 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD