a lot less than drowning it will do lmao

the drying out method is perfectly safe when we're talking an electric fan oven which maintains the temp exactly at 40C and with the phone submerged inside a bowl of rice....its hotter inside my pants

its amazing how some people think theyre experts yet blatently know nothing.
    yea just take a look at the Stocks down threads today, lotta stock experts know that rIM is doomed, a few even know how long it will take
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-15-11 10:00 PM
    I would think someone who would put their phone in the oven would be in awe of how water comes out of a faucet.

#justsaying ....
    now THIS is one of the few posts that have made me laugh out loud, thanks
    09-15-11 10:02 PM
    oops....it went down the pan...literally

was in its pouch, so I grabbed it back quickly, removed any surface water, all was ok, then the call hang up key started producing mnmnmn when pressed, so Ive switched it off, put face down in a bowl of rice in the oven at 40C for a few hours......
    The problem here is that you didn't pull out the battery as soon as you pulled it out of the water. Instead, you waited to see if anything was wrong with the phone first. Water takes a little time to seep into the phone, and any short circuits will not happen right away. That's why it's important to remove the battery and cut off all the current before too much water covers the circuit board. Your phone might be toast, otherwise.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-15-11 10:20 PM
    The problem here is that you didn't pull out the battery as soon as you pulled it out of the water. Instead, you waited to see if anything was wrong with the phone first. Water takes a little time to seep into the phone, and any short circuits will not happen right away. That's why it's important to remove the battery and cut off all the current before too much water covers the circuit board. Your phone might be toast, otherwise.
    exactly right....my son did all those rice steps but forgot to get battery out, so long story short..it worked but for only next two weeks, then screen went all black and never recovered
    09-15-11 11:31 PM
    40C or 104F is still higher than what MOST electronic sensors, capacitors, ICs and resistors can stand. So, it WILL cook some of the silicon and other bi-metals that melts or deform around or under that temperature. Most electronics are only designed to work at max temp of 35C or less for more than 1 hour under that condition. In other words if you keep your phone at constant 40C for an hour or so, the phone will most likely break or bake LOL

Just because of silicon melting point is 1410 �C doesn't mean you have pure silicon in the phone. The impurities have much lower melting temps.
    So, if I understand you correctly, BlackBerry's should not be sold in Cali/Arizona/Texas and Florida? Is that about right? Because, frequently in these states, temps can rise well over that, with much more humidity. You had better call RIM and let them know that their phones will fail in those states...please!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though...you need to go back and reread - or take a course on electronic components, particularly on the myths /fallacies and so-called expert opinions surrounding them...because from your post, I'd gather that cars, trucks and a million other things will not operate in these temps....without serious risk of failure.

104 degrees will "cook silicone"? Really? So...silicone hooters would cook in those temps too? Better let my G/F know, cuz she has an appt to get some nice silicone man-made's real soon! Wow...

Dude, you haven't got a clue...really.
    09-16-11 12:00 AM
    Did you use the rice afterwards lol
    09-16-11 12:19 AM
    40C or 104F is still higher than what MOST electronic sensors, capacitors, ICs and resistors can stand. So, it WILL cook some of the silicon and other bi-metals that melts or deform around or under that temperature. Most electronics are only designed to work at max temp of 35C or less for more than 1 hour under that condition. In other words if you keep your phone at constant 40C for an hour or so, the phone will most likely break or bake LOL
    Where I live (AZ) it gets over 110F everyday in the summer and got to 118F several times this summer. Thats measured in the shade. My work phone frequently stayed in the truck all day. It can get to over 150F in a closed vehicle. Everybody's phones still work fine here. I once saw a nokia that had gotten run over after someone dropped it in the street. The asphalt was so hot (about 180F) that the tire pushed the phone into the soft tar asphalt. Any phone that can't take temps over 110F at least is not worth having.
    I'm working on moving someplace cooler btw. LOL!
    If it gets to hot they have to close the airport since the tarmac gets sticky. We get some serious heat here.
    09-16-11 12:35 AM
    Did you use the rice afterwards lol
    Throwing out rice is heresy!
    09-16-11 12:37 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD