oops....it went down the pan...literally

was in its pouch, so I grabbed it back quickly, removed any surface water, all was ok, then the call hang up key started producing mnmnmn when pressed, so Ive switched it off, put face down in a bowl of rice in the oven at 40C for a few hours......
    09-15-11 04:50 AM
    In the oven? Is that safe?
    09-15-11 05:02 AM
    In the Oven?? where did you get that idea? well I'd strongly recommend you not to do that because exposing the device to extreme temperatures is not a good idea. leave it in a bag of rice (uncooked) overnight and it should be fine.
    09-15-11 05:10 AM
    The oven at 40c is not a wise idea

The whole idea of the rice is negated if you are cooking your phone!
    Jake2826 and dani-b like this.
    09-15-11 05:13 AM
    It depends...

Is it a gas or electric oven?

Did you pre-heat it?

Make sure you use a wooden spoon to stir it.

---
    Sorry, bro. Hope your phone lives long enough to laugh about all this with its grand kids!
    Dugganm, joju58, DannyJK and 3 others like this.
    09-15-11 06:28 AM
    You know.. i actually tested my 9650 underwater at a swimming pool.

Aka plastic bag and stuff.

loses all bars. lol
    09-15-11 06:35 AM
    oops....it went down the pan...literally

was in its pouch, so I grabbed it back quickly, removed any surface water, all was ok, then the call hang up key started producing mnmnmn when pressed, so Ive switched it off, put face down in a bowl of rice in the oven at 40C for a few hours......
    mmmm sounds delicious. I want my 9900 spicy please with extra HotSpot added...thanx.
    09-15-11 07:10 AM
    The oven at 40c is not a wise idea

The whole idea of the rice is negated if you are cooking your phone!
    Maybe he was hungry and wanted to kill two birds with one stone

Rice overnight works great. My daughter dropped her phone in water, completely submerged, and the phone went haywire. Pulled the battery, riced it, left it, two days later, voila. Working phone.
    09-15-11 07:14 AM
    I prefer the microwave! Hahaha! Make sure and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    joju58 likes this.
    09-15-11 07:18 AM
    It depends...

Is it a gas or electric oven?

Did you pre-heat it?

Make sure you use a wooden spoon to stir it.

---
    Sorry, bro. Hope your phone lives long enough to laugh about all this with its grand kids!
    Flat out best comedy so far!!!
    09-15-11 07:22 AM
    40C is only 104F so it's not going to cook anything.
    NursingNinja likes this.
    09-15-11 07:23 AM
    This thread is awesome. I see a new web series coming from this: "Will it bake".
    telefonique and anguuusss like this.
    09-15-11 07:59 AM
    Thank you! I was hoping a mathematically bilingual individual would translate that!
    09-15-11 08:17 AM
    40C or 104F is still higher than what MOST electronic sensors, capacitors, ICs and resistors can stand. So, it WILL cook some of the silicon and other bi-metals that melts or deform around or under that temperature. Most electronics are only designed to work at max temp of 35C or less for more than 1 hour under that condition. In other words if you keep your phone at constant 40C for an hour or so, the phone will most likely break or bake LOL

Just because of silicon melting point is 1410 �C doesn't mean you have pure silicon in the phone. The impurities have much lower melting temps.
    09-15-11 08:28 AM
    lmao at all the experts who thing 40C will bake the phone.

your body's temperature is 37C..a phone in your pocket on a hot day will exceed 40C easily

4 hours in the oven in bowl of rice @ 40C just turned it on and all functioning perfectly
    09-15-11 08:43 AM

your body's temperature is 37C..a phone in your pocket on a hot day will exceed 40C easily

4 hours in the oven in bowl of rice @ 40C just turned it on and all functioning perfectly
    Good to hear that.... But in general, it could screw things up...
    09-15-11 08:48 AM
    a lot less than drowning it will do lmao

the drying out method is perfectly safe when we're talking an electric fan oven which maintains the temp exactly at 40C and with the phone submerged inside a bowl of rice....its hotter inside my pants

its amazing how some people think theyre experts yet blatently know nothing.
    09-15-11 09:02 AM
    I've done the oven trick quite a few times for friends and it's always worked great. Set the oven to "warm" (110F) and let that puppy have a short bake to help get the water out.

Don't think they put these phones in environmental chambers for testing? Here's an example of a little box made just for that purpose: Weiss Umwelttechnik GmbH � Environmental Simulation Systems Remember, people leave these things on the car seat in a closed up car on a hot day. Also, the air temp in some areas of the globe easily exceed 110F, it's a realistic temp for a device to endure with no worries.

Now the battery? Better make sure that bugger is kept away from heat, that will seriously shorten it's life span. But at those temps you won't even make the plastic soft...
    09-15-11 11:35 AM

Relieved to hear it!

Now, about the grand kids thing... A friend of mine has a cute young Curve I can introduce your phone to...
    09-15-11 12:12 PM
    Can I have a Playbook and a Bold 9900 Medium Well spicy with some potatoes and rice please? hahahahah
    09-15-11 12:33 PM
    top it off with cheese and flour. bake it for 3 hours, and tadaaaaa, blueberry cheesecake.
    09-15-11 06:03 PM
    Just don't answer the phone if it rings while in the oven! Could literally be a hot line!
    joju58 likes this.
    09-15-11 06:36 PM
    I'm surprised how many BlackBerry users don't know about putting your phone in the oven. If done correctly, it actually will evaporate the water and salvage your phone.
    09-15-11 06:43 PM
    You should wrap it in bacon to keep the flavor in... Mmmmm, bacon.
    ShaneN. likes this.
    09-15-11 07:06 PM
    I would think someone who would put their phone in the oven would be in awe of how water comes out of a faucet.

#justsaying ....
    09-15-11 09:48 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD