Hey all, this is just a short story about my adventure with the latest and greatest Smart Phones. This is a good read for anyone thinking of getting a 9900 or something else.
    I'm a cell phone guy, I've owned every popular mobile os and a few handsets that work on each. I use kijiji to facilitate my obsession through trades and about once a month I get a different phone.

This year I went fron iphone 4, to bold 9000 (the old one), to a windows mobile, back to iphone 4, then to a 9900.

The 9900 I had was perfect. Beautiful and different from anything else I'd seen offered. I had the phone for two weeks before I decided I wanted to give the Galaxy S2 a try. I posted my phone on kijiji and found a trade. I instantly felt odd about getting rid of my bold but I went through with the trade anyway.

That giant plastic POS they call the Galaxy S2 was nothing close to special. I instantly regretted my decision and the very next day got back to the 9900.

I can honestly say that this bold has a unique advantage over each of the latest and greatest offerings.

With H+ its faster than the iphone on carrier browsing.

With the keyboard it destroys all others on the typing experience.

With the touch screen and quick processor it kills its own earlier bolds and curves.

All the apps out there are just a waste of time and are rarely used more than once.

Bottom line, consider what is really necessary in your phone experience and choose what's right for you. The 9900 is just right for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 12:48 PM
    ^^^ Very well put.

11-18-11 12:50 PM
    I love the physical keyboard of the Bold 9900 and I cannot stand typing slow on glass surfaces of Android, Apple and Windows phones.

However, I am concerned about all the problems that people are having with their Bold 99xx. RIM was notified by Telus after I show the Telus Mobility people Crackberry.com site. RIM is acting like there is no issues with Bold 99xx series. But even expert BB users have ran in to nuked or bricked devices.

I love BB keyboard so, if you are one of those like me, do not switch to a phone that has no physical keyboard and then regret it for rest of your 2 year or 3 year contract.
    16698624 likes this.
    11-18-11 12:53 PM
    mss-ca,
    I think what you find is that it is mostly the CB experts (or experts wanna be's like me) having problems. Why? Because we can tweak our phones. I have Blown up two perfectly good phones by running macros and downloading beta stuff. I don't mind really. I like tinkering with the things.
    However, most people don't. All my co-workers (yes, all four of us) got Bolds when I did and none of them have had any problems with them. I on the other hand, have blown up mine twice. Is that the user or the phone? In my case, I can tell you it was me.

I have been toying with the idea of becoming a developer for BlackBerry but I have no background. I sure like tinkering with it and the little programming I've done has been great fun. Hmmm... still, to be a great BlackBerry app developer would be so cool.

I would make apps for BlackBerry and Google devices since I would never have to worry about them crippling my app just so they can sell you their stuff, like apple has done to the Kindle app.

Anyone out there developing apps for BlackBerry? Nah. Never mind. I'm not ready to get serious on this and if I made apps I would like them to be awesome every time. Maybe some day.
    11-18-11 01:17 PM
    Nice to hear some pro BB experiences once in a while
    11-18-11 01:31 PM
    Good point guerllamo, it can be a blessing and a curse having the ability to manipulate the bb so infinitely. From what I have read the complaints and issues are far less than previous device releases. I am for once completely left unwanting for anything else now that I am the owner of a 9930, and glad to say I have not suffered anything major for over 3 months. The Bold Touch really ROCKS!

11-18-11 02:14 PM
    I almost forgot to mention. With the OtterBox Commuter on your 9900, it feels like a tank and looks like something Batman would carry around. I like!

11-18-11 02:19 PM
    I really ******* miss my bb. I have a nexus s right now and I really wanted a 9930, but the fixed focus camera and the mediocre apps are a deal breaker. I don't think I could live without my free mp3 download app or an actual youtube player on android.
    11-18-11 02:46 PM
    Yes it is a supreme device that fits comfortably in my hands. The keyboard is smooth... I can type flawlessly.

I have the Otterbox Defenders series and yes it is a tank... but hey... gotta protect by better half.
    11-18-11 02:48 PM
    I almost forgot to mention. With the OtterBox Commuter on your 9900, it feels like a tank and looks like something Batman would carry around. I like!

Great Thread and a Great Post. I've had minor issues with my phone as well, but that's because I have been tinkering around with the phones OS, trying different configurations, and putting leaks onto them. So I can Guarantee that it's Me. I burned my 3G radio out on one of the 9930's I've had.

As for the customization, it's definitely a thin line, but I'd take it anyway. Especially in the wake of the Last Mobile Nations podcast, "The Dreaded F word". It speaks about how upgrades are managed for some platforms, but not BlackBerry. We get updates regularly, and weren't mentioned once.

11-18-11 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD