You're not the only one with battery woes. I'm on my second one (the first drained within half a day while I was at work and the phone was IDLE in my bag).

Yesterday, I wiped the OS completely and manually installed apps (Twitter and CaptureIt). Battery pulled and everything.

I've had 7.1.0.205 for 2 weeks prior and the battery life was the same as it was when I was on OS 7.0... Battery KO in less than 10 hours. I'd have to bring a charger to work and to school. It's sad!

I always have the default 5 running, Twitter only refreshes every half hour, only my radio on, I don't make calls, I do minimal to moderate BBM, no browsing if I can help it, and I get e-mail every so often. And I fully charged my phone at 2pm yesterday and it's at 40% right now. It was just yesterday that I had to transfer some pictures via Bluetooth to my mother's phone; otherwise, it would be off. Backlight settings are at 10% and automatic dim at 20 seconds.

If you'd like to compare, here are screenshots of the analyzer details:

Battery is ok right now (refer to the "normal" discharge rate), but that's because it's been idle since 1am when I went to sleep. But the drain has been steadily dropping. Isn't it supposed to be less if I don't freaking touch the damn thing? -_- Geez. Anyway.

Don't know if these are "normal" values, but I'm just trying to re-establish a baseline again to see if it'll take a while for the OS to finally settling in. My friend who has the same phone and same carrier as I do has at most 30 hours on her phone with minimal BBM and similar settings. I don't know, after having 4 Blackberrys, this is by far the most trouble and irritation I've had.
    02-14-12 08:01 AM
    After letting my OS settle for 3 days, the battery is getting slightly better, just checked Device Analyser and it says battery drain is about 7.61% an hour, so let's hope as the week progresses, I can get to 5% or less
    02-14-12 08:16 AM
    My office at work opens onto a small courtyard with two story high building surrounding it. My signal is usually 3g with3 - 4 bars showing, but the buildings sometimes interfer with the signal and it drops to 2g. MOst days are fine but occasionally on bad days the phone is constantly seeking back an d forth between 2g and 3g. This kills the battery even if sat idle all day. If I set it to 2g only it's fine. The point is that I can't see the phone doing this as it is searching in the back ground.

Have you tried to use 2g only to see if this is happening to your phone? The battery is not that good compared with the 9700 but it is usable.
    02-14-12 08:28 AM
    My 9930 was completly drained on newest software from 90% to 0% in a 7 hours on stand by gps is off, facebook and tweeted deleted I'm on 2g speeds phone is brand new I only have 3 gmail aCcounts sync in gmail java aplication I'm desperate how can I downgrade to previous software??
    02-14-12 08:53 AM
    9930 on Sprint and device works perfect with pretty good battery life. I do charge daily but I also Bridge all day and use around 4 GB of data per month... or should I say 4 GB of free data!
    02-14-12 09:12 AM
    ...delete MeterBerry, MB was causing quite a bit of drain on my 9900...
    Start with a bunch of negative commentary about battery life, people get nervous and load an app to find out for sure, and the app makes it happen. Priceless.
    02-14-12 09:31 AM
    yesterday i note that my 2g signal is always low, like 1 or 2 lines, so i decide to swich to 3g (i have a full signal always) and my battery life increases, i have 10 hours of moderate/medium use and i have 70% left....
    sound that the battery life depends on too much things... each one needs to find his own better
    02-14-12 09:34 AM
    My 9900 battery usage is acceptable only when I don't use the device for much at all. If I spend a couple hours driving back and forth to a destination using BBT, cruise the internet for a couple hours, read FB, send a few emails & text, the device will be ready to be charged within 8 hr or less.

However, my typical day is to use the 9900 bridged to my Playbook for my morning & evening commute which is an hour of reading the latest news from websites. My day has the 9900 only on Edge and sometimes in and out of the service area (not by choice). I also keep BlueTooth on. When I get home, I will have better than 60 percent of my battery left.

As has been noted, if you use all the transceivers on the device continuously even without tasking the processor, the battery is inadequate.

Another couple of tips: I would recommend that you lock the screen when you're done with the device and turn off all location aiding on all your apps.
    Last edited by dagerlach; 02-14-12 at 09:50 AM.
    02-14-12 09:42 AM
    I always lock the screen when I am not using it and Locaton is always off, just checked again and it is back up to 10% drain an hour, this is starting to annoy me.
    02-14-12 11:34 AM
    Died an hour ago, so today it lasted about 8 hours.
    02-14-12 02:59 PM
    Same story here with draining battery. Went to the AT&T store to get another battery if they had one for this phone, no spares but he swapped mine with the one on a 9900 on display, he said, "if this one doesn't work to satisfaction, next time bring me the box and all that came with the phone, I'll give you a brand new phone altogether".
    He did today at about 10:15 am or so, 4:20 pm now......2 phone calls, about 20 minutes each with bluetooth on my car, just a few email and text messages plus a little of web surf, lost only 22%, a lot better now.
    On another note, in Canada there is a recall for the batteries on the 9900, why not here?
    02-14-12 03:21 PM
    On another note, in Canada there is a recall for the batteries on the 9900, why not here?
    There is no recall.
    02-14-12 03:24 PM
    Nellisere, I just upgraded to OS 7.1 last night on my Verizon 9930 and I'm having awful battery life today. I haven't thought about downgrading or anything since it's only day 1 but it's really annoying. I have the exact same apps and settings as I did yesterday on OS 7.0 but I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life. I'm hoping it will normalize after a couple days, otherwise I'll have no choice but to downgrade since my battery life has never been outstanding but at least made it through the day.
    02-14-12 03:46 PM
    I don't want to risk downgrading, because like people have said, 7.1.0.205 seems to have fixed the bricking issue, hopefully a new leak will be out soon that fixes the battery issues.
    02-14-12 03:52 PM
    can i download the device analyzer on the first page to my 9930 that is running 7.0? or do i have to be running 7.1?
    02-14-12 05:42 PM
    There is no recall.
    I went back to the article I read, just read a few lines the first time. Turned out to be another piece of equipment with the 9900 model # that had a battery recall, sorry for the misunderstanding.

M
    02-14-12 06:50 PM
    can i download the device analyzer on the first page to my 9930 that is running 7.0? or do i have to be running 7.1?
    Yes you can... it works fine on OS7
    02-14-12 08:09 PM
    Charged battery fully @ 1pm, and now it's effing dead. I was at school, so how in the world does it get owned? Seriously, what the heck.
    02-14-12 09:38 PM
    Although you don't ever mention Google Maps as an app you have, in your message you say it is one of the biggest power users. If your GPS is constantly running with Google Maps, you'll definetly kill your battery in no time! Shut off the map app and you'll do a lot better!

What is net_rim_bb_ribbon_app? That is using the most so far, and so is Googlemaps, when I only used it for like 2 minutes this morning, have deleted googlemaps though.
    02-14-12 09:57 PM
    I ran the device analyzer on my 9900 running .205 and so far within the first hour, the battery drain rate is at 4.98%. Is that real bad? Ive simply been texting, messaging, tweeting, and rarely calling folks through out the day.
    02-15-12 12:29 AM
    I ran the device analyzer on my 9900 running .205 and so far within the first hour, the battery drain rate is at 4.98%. Is that real bad? Ive simply been texting, messaging, tweeting, and rarely calling folks through out the day.
    That's not bad. Texting, messaging, and tweeting (and updating your Twitter feed) all use the radio and display heavily. The radio, display, and CPU are the three things that use power (audio too, come to think of it). These activities don't use as much CPU as action games do, but they keep the radio going and the display is lit up all the time you're reading and writing. So 5% in an hour isn't terrible if you've been keeping the display lit up for a lot of that hour, and the radio busy sending and receiving.
    02-15-12 07:20 AM
    where is the DEvice Analyzer? i just dl'ed it to my .374 9930and cannot find it.
    02-15-12 07:54 AM
    How long does it take for you guys to fully charge your battery?
    02-15-12 08:58 AM
    My radio usage is at 98% and my discharge rate is 13.4% per hour

I guess that's bad, any suggestions?
    02-15-12 09:11 AM
    How long does it take for you guys to fully charge your battery?
    An hour I'd say. But it rarely gets below 40%.
    02-15-12 09:17 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD