Hello everyone, I am on my second 9900 and loaded 7.1.0.205 2 days ago, and also installed meterberry, now, all I do is BBM, facebook and twitter, and like 20 minutes of web browsing a day, no phone calls, no texting, this is all on 3G with full signal, and meterberry is telling me I have 17.5% discharge an hour, this is amazingly high and I am constantly having to plug it in to recharge, I don't really want to downgrade because at the minute I am safe from bricking and don't have a reciept to take it back, so I don't want to risk anything, my OS has been shrunk and only had the pure essentials on it, at 10% brightness, bluetooth, wifi, mobile hotspot and nfc all turned off, how can I make my battery last longer? I don't have any money for a spare battery at the minute but will buy one as soon as I have the money.
    02-13-12 01:35 PM
    I have a 9930 with software 7.1.0.163.

I unplugged my BB from the charger at 5:00 AM this morning. Had a day of a few texts, several email responses, some net surfing and research and close to a total hour of bridge browsing and bluetooth & wifi enabled all day long. It is almost 3:00 PM now.

I have 40% left on my battery.

The rest of my day tapers off from a business standpoint so that 40% will carry me until I go to bed at around 9:00 PM.

What you are experiencing is not normal.
    02-13-12 01:45 PM
    i have the same 9900 with the same os 7.1.0.205, my battery stays almost all day long with normal use, only some days i need to recharge in the afternoon...
    02-13-12 02:32 PM
    Maybe all that "social" activity is draining your battery by running the apps in the background.
    02-13-12 02:33 PM
    I was streaming with gps location on which I never do. Ate my battery up in no time. I usually have wifi and gps off and E911 only and my battery lasts all day regardless of heavy use.
    02-13-12 02:37 PM
    I know it isn't normal, that's why I posted, I just want to know what I can do to make it better.
    02-13-12 02:39 PM
    I have GPS off, and everything apart from 3G off, twitter and facebook do not refresh in the background... What could it be?
    02-13-12 02:41 PM
    Here's what I would do.

Delete your facebook and twitter app's. See if your battery is draining at the levels you mentioned. If so then I would go through app world and see what else you have installed that may be some type of "feed". Do what you can to get back to stock OS and work from there.
    02-13-12 02:48 PM
    I don't Facebook anymore but back when I did the app refreshed in the background unless I changed the settings to prevent this.
    I'm assuming you've done this? If you have then I'm sorry but my helpfulness is at an end.
    02-13-12 02:49 PM
    Okay, I will try to delete the facebook app and twitter, but I assure you I have completely disabled background refresh, and they are the only apps I have installed from appworld
    02-13-12 02:52 PM
    Hello everyone, I am on my second 9900 and loaded 7.1.0.205 2 days ago, and also installed meterberry, now, all I do is BBM, facebook and twitter, and like 20 minutes of web browsing a day, no phone calls, no texting, this is all on 3G with full signal, and meterberry is telling me I have 17.5% discharge an hour, this is amazingly high and I am constantly having to plug it in to recharge, I don't really want to downgrade because at the minute I am safe from bricking and don't have a reciept to take it back, so I don't want to risk anything, my OS has been shrunk and only had the pure essentials on it, at 10% brightness, bluetooth, wifi, mobile hotspot and nfc all turned off, how can I make my battery last longer? I don't have any money for a spare battery at the minute but will buy one as soon as I have the money.
    Why don't you use the Device Analyzer to see what is causing it?
    02-13-12 02:54 PM
    After shrinking my OS, the Device Analyser dissapeared, I can't reinstall any OS for the next week because I am away from home used a super slow BT Fon spot, so is there any OTA for Device Analyser?
    02-13-12 02:57 PM
    ...so is there any OTA for Device Analyser?
    Yup... http://rroyy.com/ota/BlackBerry_Devi...ceAnalyzer.jad
    02-13-12 03:17 PM
    17% plus is extremely high. No fan of the battery but that is crazy high. High rate is between 5-8% Either an app is killing it or there is a hardware issue.

Even FB and Twitter couldn't put you up to 17% Score Mobile could kill it though...

Somebody had posted a battery recall thread a week or so ago which covered a very select/small lot of batteries. You might want to check and see if yours was one of these.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...attery-695100/

Can't imagine a 3.5 hour battery being very useful.
    02-13-12 03:20 PM
    Somebody had posted a battery recall thread a week or so ago which covered a very select/small lot of batteries. You might want to check and see if yours was one of these.
    Those batteries are long gone, and wouldn't even power up the phone out of the box.
    drum likes this.
    02-13-12 03:22 PM
    +1 for Devise Analyzer, and delete MeterBerry, MB was causing quite a bit of drain on my 9900. Follow the link in an above post to rroyy.com for OTA of DA.
    02-13-12 03:34 PM
    I have deleted meterberry, battery pulled, and started device analyzer, found an OTA so it's all good, only had 17% battery when I checked, so will report back in an hour or so.
    02-13-12 04:05 PM
    What is net_rim_bb_ribbon_app? That is using the most so far, and so is Googlemaps, when I only used it for like 2 minutes this morning, have deleted googlemaps though.
    02-13-12 04:19 PM
    I think that's the home screen -
    02-13-12 04:28 PM
    I googled it and it is the camera, which is understandable, I am using it alot, well, a random photo every other hour or so, I shall cut down now :P But that has only been running for an hour, so not very accurate, will stop it now, charge it up overnight, and start the battery monitoring in the morning
    02-13-12 04:35 PM
    I googled it and it is the camera, which is understandable, I am using it alot, well, a random photo every other hour or so, I shall cut down now :P But that has only been running for an hour, so not very accurate, will stop it now, charge it up overnight, and start the battery monitoring in the morning
    FBA was correct... the net_rim_bb_ribbon_app.cod is the Home Screen, not the camera.
    02-13-12 05:16 PM
    Why don't you tell us exactly which apps you're running, what's installed etc...then post a photo of the CPU activity. That would be of more help, so we can pinpoint the issues you're having. My 9900's drain at about 2.4% hourly on medium use...and that get's me from 100% to in the 40% range over 12-15 hours, which is fairly good for these devices...

Also, a complete device wipe and partial restore - installing only what you really need, often helps battery life...as there may be things going on in the OS you're not seeing or are not aware of, unless you were looking for them, or knew where to look. I wipe fully on every update...and restore through our BES...my battery life is fine, not a 9780m, but not expecting that in any case. I have not personally bricked any of my devices...have plenty of free memory and have to hesitation in the OS. It runs perfectly, or as perfect as the OS will run anyway...

Grooming your message lists and not leaving tons of unread messages makes a difference in certain ways as well...

Making sure that you only have the 5 basic apps running at all times is a big contributor to better battery life too....

There are many things you can do to improve performance on these devices...and they are all important to conserve battery and keep the devices from going sideways. Meterberry isn't one of them; in fact quite the opposite. The device analyzer is more than enough and provides more information in any case.
    Last edited by FBA; 02-13-12 at 05:40 PM.
    arielius likes this.
    02-13-12 05:32 PM
    The only apps I have downoaded from App world, and therefore the only apps that have installed, Blackberry Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, Trainline and eBay. The apps I use are Browser (more than usual because of not having a laptop available at home for the next week) Camera, just for random photos, so I take about 10 photos a day, Facebook (auto refresh off and refreshing manally about 20 times a day) Twitter (auto refresh off, tweeting about 30 times a day, refresh each time) Haven't used Trainline yet, used ebay for about 5 minutes. Today, unplugged at half 11, have tweeted 4 times, refreshed facebook twice, taken 1 photo, sent no BBM's, used browser for about 15 minutes, I do not call or text at all because this sim has no minutes or texts, and is only used for BIS, and my battery is now at 95.61% and Battery trends in device analyser says 9.21% battery drain an hour. will post a screenshot later today when results are more accurate.
    5.03% cpu, and backlight 2.42%
    02-14-12 07:02 AM
    The saddest part about this is that nobody will just tell the guy rim put out a phone with a 1230mah battery + a 1.2ghz snapdragon processor. Simple math says your battery life is going to be poor. I and a moderate to heavy user with hardly any apps gps off, full signal, latest os and I get 10-12hrs MAX out of my 9900. The battery life isn't great for this model phone end of story. You can sit there ripping our hair out loading 15 different os versions and watching every app but at the end of the day you'll come to realize the battery for the bold 9900 is subpar no matter what the hardcore crackberry elite will tell you is "normal"
    02-14-12 07:21 AM
    You still get a better battery life than me MadMax8778, I get about 6 hours.
    02-14-12 07:32 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD