So I REALLY need a smartphone. I had one, and then I went abroad and didn't have one, and now I'm back in the states, school is starting, and I need a smartphone to keep myself all together. Was going to go WebOS, but obviously that's out. So I'm courting BB. Played with the 9930, it's a beautiful phone and I'm pretty sure it's what I want out of a smartphone. Only wrinkle is that I'm with AT&T. Obviously with AT&T dragging their feet, I need something that will "get me by" without too many bugs until then (or when my early release becomes available... whichever comes first at this point). So my question to the general BB community is this:

What is the most inexpensive, least buggy BB I can get off contract to hold me over?

Thanks for your help!
    09-05-11 07:52 AM
    Look for a 9000 or a 8900 on ebay both of those will be fairly cheap, and both have excellent support from RIM in terms of available OS's

RIM has the "Trade up" plan so any torch owner who moved to the new Torch will "trade up" if they are not selling it for a good chunk of change.
    Ammunet91 and TVObsessee like this.
    09-05-11 08:32 AM
    There's also the Torch 9810 for AT&T.

It was 50 bucks on contract. Not sure how much it is off contract.

Edit: Oh wait, you wanted something to hold you over til the 9900. You can get a Curve 8900 to hold you over til then. If you need something really cheap.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 09-05-11 at 04:35 PM.
    09-05-11 04:33 PM
    I have seen the 8310s for cheap.... however maybe you can consider the 9810?
    09-05-11 06:43 PM
    use anything at this point.it doesn't have to be blackberry.use one of those flip phones for the time being lol.
    09-05-11 07:43 PM
    The Curve series. It cannot get any better than that.
    If canada is right across the lake from you, a simple trip across to the nearest Rogers, Telus or Bell store can get you one at a low off-contract cost. $200-$350 for the curve. Or you could get it from craigslist/kijiji and meet up with the person at the carrier store to verify if it's not stolen/lost and just being sold for profit. You could also make sure it's not damaged before you exchange the cash.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TVObsessee likes this.
    09-05-11 09:18 PM
    Oh I have one of those, but since my first cellphone was an iPhone (as I'm embarrassed to say) it is absolutely killing me not having a smartphone. Not having the ability to check my emails every second of the day is driving me nuts, and my laptop is 17.3". Definitely not convenient for carting around.
    09-08-11 06:15 PM
    The Curve series. It cannot get any better than that.
    If canada is right across the lake from you, a simple trip across to the nearest Rogers, Telus or Bell store can get you one at a low off-contract cost. $200-$350 for the curve. Or you could get it from craigslist/kijiji and meet up with the person at the carrier store to verify if it's not stolen/lost and just being sold for profit. You could also make sure it's not damaged before you exchange the cash.

Great idea about meeting at the carrier store. I hadn't thought of that. I have been hooked up with a 9000 for $80 on Craigslist and am meeting the seller this week.

Thanks for all the recommendations, and I can't wait to be part of the CrackBerry revolution (despite the fact that I used to make fun of you guys... I have since discovered that it's more fun to poke fun at the iPhone users).
    09-08-11 06:18 PM
    That money you're going to use to buy a phone, which you will eventually sell or keep (by selling you will lose value), you might add a little extra and buy the 9900 off contract from eBay if you weren't planning on going with a 2 year contract.
    09-08-11 08:41 PM
    That money you're going to use to buy a phone, which you will eventually sell or keep (by selling you will lose value), you might add a little extra and buy the 9900 off contract from eBay if you weren't planning on going with a 2 year contract.
    Ebay is risky. I would use caution on new devices.

09-08-11 08:46 PM
    At&t is a GSM carrier, you can get a 9900 from other carrier and unlock your blackberry, then use it with your att SIM card.
    09-09-11 04:57 AM
    At&t is a GSM carrier, you can get a 9900 from other carrier and unlock your blackberry, then use it with your att SIM card.
    Yup, that's what I've been doing to random people on CrackBerry! I've shipped 5 9900s for att clients so far and everything seems to be working just fine!
    09-09-11 05:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD