So i just killed my bold 97...80? whatever it is, the old one. Been looking at the 9900 because i dont want to spend 200 dollars on a q10. Read all the reviews and it seems to be fairly reliable with the most up to date OS and dont run any social networking sites, which is fine, because i dont.

In the things you should know/problems with the 9900 thread it constantly mentions problems with telus phones. Is this still the case? It makes it sound like telus versions of the phone are made somewhere different then the rest of the blackberrys. I'm in canada so my options are pretty much rogers/telus/bell.

Thoughts? Opinions? Naked pictures of your girlfriend? (but only taken on your BB of course)

aaand post!
    05-22-13 04:53 PM
    So i just killed my bold 97...80? whatever it is, the old one. Been looking at the 9900 because i dont want to spend 200 dollars on a q10. Read all the reviews and it seems to be fairly reliable with the most up to date OS and dont run any social networking sites, which is fine, because i dont.

In the things you should know/problems with the 9900 thread it constantly mentions problems with telus phones. Is this still the case? It makes it sound like telus versions of the phone are made somewhere different then the rest of the blackberrys. I'm in canada so my options are pretty much rogers/telus/bell.

Thoughts? Opinions? Naked pictures of your girlfriend? (but only taken on your BB of course)

aaand post!
    I had my 9900 on the rogers network, the only quirk I had with the device is that for some reason the auto screen brightness sensor wasn't playing nice. Indoors it was fine, however in direct sunlight the screen would pretty much turn off but was still on because I could very faintly make out what was on the screen and saw things happening as I moved the trackpad.
    05-22-13 05:27 PM
    Good to know. I think i've settled on dealing with the 9900s minor problems, my biggest question is there something inherently wrong with the telus version of the phone? Something about it being made in mexico? (and i guess other brands arent? or....)
    05-22-13 05:49 PM
    My Telus 9900 has been more or less fine; doubt there are any real hardware differences between the carrier models up here; everyone is on the same type of network now.

Just out of curiosity why did you decide to get a 9900 at this point, rather than one of the newer phones?
    05-22-13 06:28 PM
    I had a Telus 9900 for over a year and a half with no problems at all (aside from slow OS releases). Two friends had the same. I don't know where you got the idea, but I think you're von the wrong track.
    05-22-13 07:03 PM
    Just out of curiosity why did you decide to get a 9900 at this point, rather than one of the newer phones?
    Q10 is 200 dollars on a 3 year contract, bold 9900 is free. And i want keyboard. I figure the 200 dollars spent i'm better off buying a tablet and tethering to it for internet surfing.

I had a Telus 9900 for over a year and a half with no problems at all (aside from slow OS releases). Two friends had the same. I don't know where you got the idea, but I think you're von the wrong track.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...utions-648306/

"8. Light bleeds from the bottom plate, at the USB connector or on the top lock button
    Cause: MADE IN Mexico 4/5 and most likely Telus Mobility unit

Solution: Return it asap and if you can find a phone that is NOT Mexico made, go for it!"

"16.-If you are on Telus Canada and the phone is Made in Mexico 4/5, spend at least an hour (LOL) looking for hardware defects at the store before you walk out."

"Here in Calgary BestBuy Mobile, 5/10 all issues came out of Telus Made in Mexico 4 or 5 units. Rogers with Made in Mexico had about 2/10 issues or so."

what does mexico 4/5 units mean? Thats where the questions come from
    05-22-13 07:38 PM
    It's hard to say. I'm sure that more often than not Telus BB 7 phones are fine. I think they got a bad batch of the early BB 7 phones though. I had a nightmare of an experience when I upgraded to the 9790 with Telus. I went through three phones and the problem was never resolved. Looking back I think it was due more to the OS. Telus was very slow to roll out 7.1 and I think that would have fixed it. The hardware seemed fine though. And prior to that I had a 8530 with Telus and that thing was a work horse and is still working to this day.

I have an unlocked 9900 from Rogers now and it has been prefect so far.
    05-22-13 08:29 PM
    I have an unlocked 9900 from Rogers now and it has been prefect so far.
    Telus is kind of making me angry anyway. I'm probably going to walk into a rogers store tmw and get a 9900
    05-22-13 08:48 PM
    Telus is kind of making me angry anyway. I'm probably going to walk into a rogers store tmw and get a 9900
    Call their Customer service and retention line. Voice your complaints.
    If you've been with them a few years, they will give you a better deal/plan
    I've been with telus for 2 years, and I prefer them to the other 2.
    The Q10 should be the better choice in this case, because it will be receiving major updates, etc. The $200 is definitely worth it
    The hardware should be identical, all of the 9900 I know of are made in Mexico, branded Mexico 4-6 (Pretty sure the numbers stand for the company/factory. The 2/10 or 5/10 are fractions or percentages)
    Here's something for thought. For the same service, Telus is usually $3-$5 cheaper than the other 2 companies.
    05-22-13 11:12 PM
    Only drawback I have with a 9900 on Telus for last 2 years is no 2G fallback.

If I am low on battery power I fallback on 2G when I was with Rogers.
    05-23-13 01:52 PM
    Call their Customer service and retention line. Voice your complaints.
    If you've been with them a few years, they will give you a better deal/plan
    I've been with telus for 2 years, and I prefer them to the other 2.
    The Q10 should be the better choice in this case, because it will be receiving major updates, etc. The $200 is definitely worth it
    The hardware should be identical, all of the 9900 I know of are made in Mexico, branded Mexico 4-6 (Pretty sure the numbers stand for the company/factory. The 2/10 or 5/10 are fractions or percentages)
    Here's something for thought. For the same service, Telus is usually $3-$5 cheaper than the other 2 companies.
    At the moment i'm not sure thats the case. Just picked up my 9900 with rogers, unlimited minutes and 2 gig for 70 bucks, an extra 10 for unlimited long distance. Plus first month free. I'm happy. Also telus wants 50 dollars for a 9900 on a 3 year plan where as its free with rogers. I think the best i could do with telus is bargain for the same deal rogers would give me, at which point i'll just switch to rogers. I was actually going to give them the opportunity to do that but the guy at the telus store was SO obnoxious i ended up just leaving the store. Biggest apple fanboy ever, was unrelenting that i wanted an inferior phone and that i should be getting an Iphone. Even made the comment when i said i wanted to stick with my keyboard "you know even BB is going away from keyboards. Technology isn't going to change for you, you're going to have to change for technology". He was a special case, but i digress.

Seems my questions to do with build quality applied to the first batches of the 9900 that were made, current ones are mostly fine.

My argument against the Q10 being "better" is that a tablet can do everything better then the q10, so i'm going to spend that 200 dollars on a phone towards a samsung tablet. Also random funny thing, rogers offered me a free iphone4s on a 3 year contract, basically a "better" phone then the BB for the same cost. Took me about 10 seconds to come up with 3 reasons not to get the iphone. No google maps, no keyboard, itunes. My requirement for a phone is google maps, keyboard for texting especially in noisy environments, light browsing, and wait for it....calling people. Thats all folks.
    05-23-13 08:51 PM
    It sounds like you've already decided to go with Roger's, but here's my two cents anyway.

i have two 9900s, one on Telus and one on Bell (the Bell 9900 is locked down for work). Of the two, I far prefer my Telus phone, but much of that probably comes down to just how locked down my Bell phone is.

I did have a pixel death problem with the Telus phone but it was pretty easy to get the phone repaired while it was still on its one year warranty. It took about 3 weeks for the repairs, but there was no issue with getting a loaner phone in the meantime.

So, other than the pixel death issue (for which I was satisfied with the resolution), I have not had any hardware or support issues with either of my 9900s (Bell and Telus).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-23-13 10:27 PM
    I had two 9900 and both drained batteries. I used 3 full batteries a day. Q10 now and haven't drained one battery in a single day yet (Telus). Other than drain issue, no other problems! Lol

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    05-23-13 10:38 PM