I heard that Verizon will be getting the 9930 soon so I now have a dilemma and need some help!

Ive been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years. But now, Im thinking of switching to Verizon for the new Berry. Is there anything I should know about Big Red? Advantages? Disadvantages? I would be getting to phones, one for me and one for the wife.
    Heres the advantages of each:

If I stay with AT&T
    I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan (for now).
    I get a special discount on my bill because of my profession.
    I have rollover minutes.
    I have to wait until November for the 9900 (I DONT want the Torch)

If I go to Verizon.
    I can get my Blackberry now!

Ive never had an account with Verizon so this is important. What do you think of that carrier as compared to AT&T. No carrier is great, I get that.

Any advice, pros and cons, for the above would be great!
    08-13-11 04:44 AM
    I'm a Verizon customer, and one thing thats great is the service. Worlds better than AT&T in my area.
    But, since you will be a new customer, I don't think you will get the unlimited data plan. Customer Service is average, and sometimes bad (but I haven't had any experience with ATT customer service, so I can't compare... I assume most major cell phone companies have the same type of CS).

You will be able to get your berry soon... pre-order the 15th, stores the 25th. And you will get the CDMA version of the phone obviously, but its a world device, so you can use it in GSM countries.

I can't really say definitely go to VZW... ATT should almost definitely be getting the Bold 9900 as well. Just not sure exactly when
    08-13-11 04:50 AM
    If you apply for service with Verizon, you could be charged 0/125.00/400.00 deposit per line of service. You would not be able to get unlimited data, but could opt for 2gb/5gb/10gb instead. You can check to see if they will offer a similar discount due to your employer, but if so, it could take up to the third billing cycle to appear. I switched in June from Sprint to VZ and so far no complaints. The phone service/signal is much better though.
    Last edited by MRSBROWN2006; 08-13-11 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    08-13-11 05:26 AM
    Verizon is all around the better carrier. The only thing that sucks now is the tiered data plans, but if the 9930 is anything like other BlackBerrys they typically don't use as much data. I'm a heavy use and I used to go thru about 5gb a month. When I switched to an Android I started going thru like 15gb a month. Now I most likely use my Android device to do much more much faster because it does much more much faster so Idk if that's a good comparison. Oh lastly AT&T is the devil lol.
    Last edited by joshua.worth; 08-13-11 at 08:43 AM.
    08-13-11 08:40 AM
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the data speed on Verizon's CDMA network will be slower than AT&T's "4G" network. I've been with Verizon since 2003 and I've never had a problem with service.
    08-13-11 09:24 AM
    I would just go ahead and buy an unlocked one from Rogers and stick to AT&T.
    08-13-11 09:33 AM
    I heard that Verizon will be getting the 9930 soon so I now have a dilemma and need some help!

Ive been with AT&T for 5 or 6 years. But now, Im thinking of switching to Verizon for the new Berry. Is there anything I should know about Big Red? Advantages? Disadvantages? I would be getting to phones, one for me and one for the wife.
    Heres the advantages of each:

If I stay with AT&T
    I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan (for now).
    I get a special discount on my bill because of my profession.
    I have rollover minutes.
    I have to wait until November for the 9900 (I DONT want the Torch)

If I go to Verizon.
    I can get my Blackberry now!

Ive never had an account with Verizon so this is important. What do you think of that carrier as compared to AT&T. No carrier is great, I get that.

Any advice, pros and cons, for the above would be great!
    Data and voice can't work at the same time and VZW data speeds are awfully slow.....I mean snails pace slow compared to AT&T.
    08-13-11 09:35 AM
    cellinator - I am in the same spot - had a 9800, lost it, dropped back to my 9700 which is struggling with memory at this point. I am one of the few who won't buy a phone without nfc so 9810 is out, AT&T in Manhattan sucks for voice but it is killing me not to have simultaneous voice and date on cdma by switching to vzw.

It's like we will need to tread water until a 4gLTE qnx device ships but my 9700 won't get me there. Thankfully TODAY is my end of contract so, for once it's nice timing to make a switch.

Seems like the CDMA/GSM issues cut both ways - voice vs. data
    99XX availability goes to vzw but if an unlocked device would solve the device choice it's just a money issue for the cost of the phone
    Hate for ATT runs high after their behavior on the PB launch
    I don't think vzw is much better on the customer service side, if i remember right form long ago they were much more obnoxious about late or missed payments even if it was just for overages
    In the past ATT was getting the new berries much earlier and this could be the same for qnx devices with the 9930 being the exception
    Your grandfathered data plan might be the key tipping point

I also read somewhere ATT was considering not implementing nfc on the 9900 - not sure if this is just a rumor - most people don't think nfc has value but i think over a two year run it just might. Probably not an issue as long as qnx phones are not a year late from an already pushed back launch date.

I think despite the simultaneous voice/data i am heading to verizon....because at the end of the day it seems my phone should also make phone calls which with ATT in my apartment it is hit or miss if i can hold a call or have a solid connection.

Good luck making your decision...hopefully we'll both have glowing reviews of the 99XX transition. Also remember you have to port your number.
    08-13-11 11:04 AM
    I love rollover minutes and unlimited calling to any cellphone. My wife uses alone over 3000 minutes a month. We have a 700 minute plan and we still get 200 left by the end of the cycle. Call ATT and complain, they gave me free 4000 rollover minutes. No services issues in Montgomery AL. More expensive than t-mo and sprint? Of course but I'll never have any minute overages.
    08-13-11 11:09 AM
    First, I would like to thank everyone for the replies. Great information and points!

I called Verizon today to price out a plan for two phones for my wife and me. The scenario went as follows:

AT&T Family Talk 550 ==> Replace with 700 minute plan for $10 more (no friend or family option with that plan either!)

AT&T Unlimited messaging ==> About the same for Verizon. $30 for unlimited texting including images, video, etc.

AT&T Data Unlimited (grandfathered) ==> 2 GB for a cost of $30 for each phone!

After applying my discount, I would be actually be paying $15 more for Verizon, have no rollover minutes, and no simultaneous data on a slower data network.

During this time, I was looking at our data usage and we never even get close to 1 GB! I was surprised but the Blackberry does compress data nicely. So, even with the grandfathered plan, I can opt for the $25 2GB plan for each phone and save an additional $10 a month for a total difference of $25!

My choice is clear which unfortunately means I will be waiting until November for the 9900 (unless I'm willing to try the 9810 which is highly unlikely!) My 9700 should hold out until then....I hope!

I hope the info provided above is useful to anyone else in my situation. For me, AT&T is the better network despite the shortcomings.
    08-13-11 04:53 PM
    Unlimited data is not a necessity if your are using a blackberry. Even the heaviest users usually do not go over 2gb
    08-13-11 05:17 PM
    Unlimited data is not a necessity if your are using a blackberry. Even the heaviest users usually do not go over 2gb
    It depends on the type of use. I do not tether at all. However, I stream TuneInRadio or Pandora at least 2 hrs/day, and I also subscribe to 5 podcasts which I download using the mobile network.

08-13-11 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD