That's kind of a bum deal, hopefully they will continue to work towards getting it to support the handoff to the mobile network. If there's no support for it in the chipset, then I guess that's the way it will always be, but hopefully it can eventually handle UMA just like the older devices did.

2 steps forward, and a half step backwards...
    Gentleman, I'm almost positive the final version will support hand off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sjsplaty and HaTaX like this.
    09-06-11 08:32 PM
    Any chance anyone can enable the functionality via engineering screens?
    09-06-11 08:57 PM
    I have uma on my tmobile branded 9900. Perks of the job . But to confirm, yes november is the expected release date for the software upgrade.

Can you please accidently on purpose leak that OS of yours. We promise to be good tmobile customers if you do! Pinky swear!
    09-06-11 09:21 PM
    Can you please accidently on purpose leak that OS of yours. We promise to be good tmobile customers if you do! Pinky swear!
    To be honest, I have no clue on how to do that even if I wanted to. There are several of us with this os, and if it were leaked it would be VERY easy to identify who do it.
    I appologize, but I simply can't. With that being said, the os I have, has tremendous battery life, but the uma is lacking in consistancy. I'm constantly getting booted off. It works, but when it feels like it, is basically what I'm trying to say

09-06-11 09:33 PM
    To be honest, I have no clue on how to do that even if I wanted to. There are several of us with this os, and if it were leaked it would be VERY easy to identify who do it.
    I appologize, but I simply can't. With that being said, the os I have, has tremendous battery life, but the uma is lacking in consistancy. I'm constantly getting booted off. It works, but when it feels like it, is basically what I'm trying to say

Good to know it's not exactly flawless and needs some work before release, I don't think any of us here would appreciate a leak if it behaved that way. Better you then us in this case. On another note, it seems that 353 has a considerable more amount of UMA relevant code in it, so I'm thinking that the kernels are starting to support it in shipping builds, but the CODs needed for it aren't out in the wild yet.

Thanks again for the info!
    egilpin likes this.
    09-06-11 10:00 PM
    Mine now has no handoff. I move away from the wifi signal or I lose it and I drop the call.
    To the person who asked for pics, umm, not sure I can do that. It would identify me rather easily. I have no reason to lie, nor do I get anything out of lying.

Your Tmobile BB 9900 does NOT have UMA- what did you do? take it to Xzibit & have him "pimp yo blackberry" ? its impossible!!!

The 9900 does NOT come with a UMA antenna & no update will change that- The update will be for WIFI CALLING- VOIP- All carriers are moving away from UMA soon...
    09-06-11 10:20 PM
    LOL - what is a "UMA Antenna"
    09-06-11 10:28 PM
    LOL - what is a "UMA Antenna"
    come on man, abe lincoln called and he wants his 8830 back!
    09-06-11 10:50 PM
    Your Tmobile BB 9900 does NOT have UMA- what did you do? take it to Xzibit & have him "pimp yo blackberry" ? its impossible!!!

The 9900 does NOT come with a UMA antenna & no update will change that- The update will be for WIFI CALLING- VOIP- All carriers are moving away from UMA soon...
    Prove to us that UMA requires hardware.
    09-06-11 11:00 PM
    Prove to us that UMA requires hardware.
    UMA isn't software, its hard ware, Mr 50 Sheqel, dont need to prove anything, its just a fact! Software = VOIP enabled like Androids on Tmobile these days..UMA isn't happening on this phone no matter what you do!
    09-06-11 11:02 PM
    UMA isn't software, its hard ware, Mr 50 Sheqel, dont need to prove anything, its just a fact! Software = VOIP enabled like Androids on Tmobile these days..UMA isn't happening on this phone no matter what you do!
    I really wish I could post a pic of it.

09-07-11 12:18 AM
    I really wish I could post a pic of it.

Nobody is stopping you.
    09-07-11 12:20 AM
    I actually thought the same thing as you, and posted almost as confident as you did. But the reality is that you are wrong and this will have some sort of UMA. On top of that, "iwork4rim" is pretty much on the money with anything hes's said.
    09-07-11 12:21 AM
    tarek307=Troll
    09-07-11 12:30 AM
    Guys the 9900 WILL NEVER EVER SUPPORT HANDOFF... it has an HSPA+ chipset and it will never support handoff. UMA is coming to this phone via a "Soft App" and nothing more. its coming in november. My brother had this phone since june and been testing it all the time. lets just wait till november and we will find out.
    09-07-11 05:32 AM
    I actually thought the same thing as you, and posted almost as confident as you did. But the reality is that you are wrong and this will have some sort of UMA. On top of that, "iwork4rim" is pretty much on the money with anything hes's said.
    Thank you for the kind words. I don't work in IT or software development, so I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to software related issues, but I definetly can comment on hardware, as I have had both the 9900/9930 and 9850 for about 5 months now. I'm glad to share anything with the forum!

09-07-11 07:40 AM
    In my experience the so called hand off with UMA was never that great. My calls would usually get dropped when I left my home. I just treated my cell as a home phone and ended my calls before I had to go. Now I gotta stand in the right corner of my house by the windo to make a call without it dropping. Cant wait for UMA or wifi calling. Its the same crap as far as I am concerned.
    grover5 likes this.
    09-07-11 07:49 AM

Generally speaking, I tend to put much more faith in iworkforrim, who, in the past has been pretty accurate with his posts, considering, um, he WORKS FOR RIM, than I do with someone who references Xzibit and "pimping you blackberry" Time will tell, but my money is on UMA showing up at some point.
    09-07-11 08:04 AM
    Generally speaking, I tend to put much more faith in iworkforrim, who, in the past has been pretty accurate with his posts, considering, um, he WORKS FOR RIM, than I do with someone who references Xzibit and "pimping you blackberry" Time will tell, but my money is on UMA showing up at some point.
    Why thank you. Lol. Unfortunately I'm very low on the todem pole, but I do get to hear and see 90% of whatgoing on internally here at rim.

09-07-11 08:08 AM
    Why thank you. Lol. Unfortunately I'm very low on the todem pole, but I do get to hear and see 90% of whatgoing on internally here at rim.

Well I seriously hope you dont have to change your name to "iworked4rim" due to the layoffs! Those are never good for anybody!
    MrVeda likes this.
    09-07-11 09:23 AM
    Thank you for the kind words. I don't work in IT or software development, so I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to software related issues, but I definetly can comment on hardware, as I have had both the 9900/9930 and 9850 for about 5 months now. I'm glad to share anything with the forum!

Then maybe you can confirm something from your device...do you have the mobile network option to select wi-fi preferred / wi-fi only / Mobile Network Preferred / Mobile Network only?

It's noticeably absent from the Mobile Network option screen in the 9900, and while you say UMA functionality is coming, I think it would be good to know that the option for this is also coming.
    09-07-11 10:39 AM

I can get for free from work either a 9900 or 9930. Which would you get and why? I'm in the USA but do travel abroad. I would probably go with tmo or sprint but all are free to me. Will all carriers have wifi calling? Your help much appreciated. Others too. Thanks.
    09-07-11 06:57 PM
    Then maybe you can confirm something from your device...do you have the mobile network option to select wi-fi preferred / wi-fi only / Mobile Network Preferred / Mobile Network only?

It's noticeably absent from the Mobile Network option screen in the 9900, and while you say UMA functionality is coming, I think it would be good to know that the option for this is also coming.
    That's exactly what it says. Along with the usuall 4g/3g 2g toggle.

HaTaX and sjsplaty like this.
    09-07-11 07:09 PM
    I can get for free from work either a 9900 or 9930. Which would you get and why? I'm in the USA but do travel abroad. I would probably go with tmo or sprint but all are free to me. Will all carriers have wifi calling? Your help much appreciated. Others too. Thanks.

I prefer gsm devices. The tmobile 9900 is 4g as well compared to the cdma versions.

09-07-11 07:11 PM
    I have uma on my tmobile branded 9900. Perks of the job . But to confirm, yes november is the expected release date for the software upgrade.

I'm holding out for UMA to upgrade from my 9700. I was super disappointed as many others were regarding the lack of UMA when I walked in to T-mobile to purchase the 9900 on 8/31. Thankfully, the subject came up and the rep was kind enough to disclose this missing feature.

I live in an area where my cell service drops anywhere from 1/2 mile to within 5 feet of my home. I've had engineering surveys done and no plans to install a tower in the area. I rely on UMA and like one gentleman pointed out, use it like home phone, end the call before jumping in the car. So handoff isn't as important to me as it may be to others.

My 9700 is having lots of locking up issues, especially when I use my camera and send an MMS. I'm an IT professional so a T-mobile rep suggested I re-load the firmware. Ugh...like that's a project I want to do in my spare time.

Long story to get to this question... what are the odds that I, like many, hold out until Nov only to find out that it's pushed to a Q2 or Q3 release?

I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to 9780 and be done with it. Touchscreen is nice but I have the PlayBook so when it comes to email and other apps, I can use that.

Thanks so much for all the information you've shared!!!
    09-13-11 02:40 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD