So my 9900 definitely is not useable outside in sunlight. Starts going nuts moving on its own, but if I cover the sensor it stops moving. Works fine indoors. Two of my son's have brand new 9360, and they work fine in the sun held side by side with the 9900 going nuts, so that rules out the technology not working in sunlight because otherwise the 9360 would go nuts too. Could be a bad run of 9900 or they used a different part on the 9900 that is inferior.

So my question is has anyone switched out there T-Mobile 9900 because of this issue, and if so does the new one not have this issue? Could this be an issue with the 9900 software and an update might fix it?

Bought two 9900's and two 9360's from Costco on October 5. The T-Mobile store says I can do a $5 Warranty swap, but could get a refurb (phone is only a month old). Going to see what Costco says as they said they had a 90 Day return policy when I bought it. Both 9900's are from Mexico 4 plant and I'll test the wife's when she gets home. And please don't respond with a link to #4 on a list that "RIM never said that you can use your phone in direct sunlight" because that is not acceptable and if a Curve works fine then the flagship bold should work better.
    11-05-11 03:20 PM
    Can you notice if they look a different color or something? Maybe the one that freaks out doesn't have as thick of a coating? Just guessing here.
    11-05-11 03:37 PM
    RIM have never said that you can't use your phone in direct sunlight... that was #4 in a BS list!

Have you tried updating your OS? TMO's .250 was a bit of a joke, and already way outdated at release.

I had a similar problem with my original OS .269 where the trackpad and lower screen were overly sensitive.
    Both issues were fixed in .353 and the phone worked fine in direct sunlight in Spain during the summer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-11 03:56 PM
    The T-Mobile store says I can do a $5 Warranty swap, but could get a refurb (phone is only a month old)..
    IMO - They've only had the device a couple months so the chances are you won't...

**Speaking as someone thats had tons of device issues over the years: I prefer a refurb BlackBerry...
    11-05-11 07:12 PM
    I've never had an optical trackpad BlackBerry work 100% in sunlight
    11-05-11 07:14 PM
    RIM have never said that you can't use your phone in direct sunlight... that was #4 in a BS list!

Have you tried updating your OS? TMO's .250 was a bit of a joke, and already way outdated at release.

I had a similar problem with my original OS .269 where the trackpad and lower screen were overly sensitive.
    Both issues were fixed in .353 and the phone worked fine in direct sunlight in Spain during the summer.

Yeah I'm running .250, waiting for official release sometime this month that should have the UMA functionality. Don't want to start running hybrids. Haven't had any issues with the software except maybe this. Maybe I'll hold on for the next release.

I've never had an optical trackpad BlackBerry work 100% in sunlight
    Yeah I've read a few people on here have it, but definitely doesn't sound like the norm as I think most people would take back a phone that behaved this way. Also the 9360 phones working perfectly makes me believe it is a Bold or my device issue.

I'll need to test the wife's tomorrow in the sun. Costco gave me a number to call and said that I would just need to tell them what's wrong and I should be able to get a new phone(s).
    11-05-11 07:21 PM
    Yeah I'm running .250, waiting for official release sometime this month that should have the UMA functionality. Don't want to start running hybrids. Haven't had any issues with the software except maybe this. Maybe I'll hold on for the next release.
    Nobody suggested running hybrids, and if you think OS7.1 will release anytime soon...

You can use a leaked OS, or any official release from another carrier on your phone.

TMO are notorious for slow releasing OS updates, so why wait?
    Uppdate to OS .474 now from the sticky at the top of the page, and see if it cures your problem.

11-05-11 07:31 PM
    Sorry for the delay. Got a replacement a couple weeks ago and it works flawless outside and in direct sunlight and the new one is also .250 software. Cursor doesn't go crazy and move on its own. Definitely a defect in the phone I returned. Very happy now with 9900!
    11-28-11 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD