T-Mobile 9900, when 4G is not available will it go to 3G/2G?

Just wondering because i never had a 4G phone and i remember someone telling me that the MyTouch 4G goes to EDGE if 4G is not available. That person clearly stated it cannot do 3G.
    Anyone know?
    08-20-11 06:35 PM
    4G on T-Mobile and AT&T is not exactly "4G", ... to keep it simple, i'll say it's a souped up 3G. So if you have no 3g, you won't have 4G so vice versa, no 4G = no 3G. So only thing left is 2G/Edge.

Verizon's 4G is LTE based, if you don't have 4G on verizon, you'll get 3G on Verizon, no 3G, you'll get Edge.
    Last edited by n19htmare; 08-20-11 at 06:48 PM.
    08-20-11 06:45 PM
    You've already asked this question... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ilable-632479/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 07:26 PM
    On mine it goes from "4g" to edge.
    08-20-11 10:17 PM
    A somewhat similar question I have is this: Do you experience better coverage at all from 4G in comparison to 3G? (although I assume not because it is, essentially, just faster speeds of the same service)
    08-21-11 02:00 AM
    T-Mobiles 4G is HSPA+ which is faster than 3G but no where near as fast as LTE. T-Mobile marketing the 9900 as a "4G" BB is ridiculous. That being said, I'd take any boost in speed I could get my hands on. I don't want an LTE device until they get it on the same chip. Battery drain is ridiculous.
    08-21-11 02:41 AM
    T-mobile and AT&T 4G is a sham.

AT&T bugged the crap out of me when I put my sim in a 4G phone, they wanted me to subscribe to a 4G plan, and get rid of my unlimited data plan.

uh, yeah, I'll do that when you offer real 4G AT&T, you ****** bags.
    08-21-11 03:02 AM
    I love how NO ONE has answered my question. Why would it go from 4G to EDGE? What happened to 3G? Obviously there is more 3G than there is 4G, so why revert from semi-4G cover to immediately EDGE? I'd rather have 3G then have it go immediately to EDGE. Anyways, i cant wait for the 9900. I got the 9930 today, but my phone has 1 signal bar to none in my apt, so i am sticking with T-Mobile.
    08-21-11 03:29 AM
    N19ghtmare, i am shocked AT&T would make you do that. They are so ridiculous. I hope this AT&T/T-Mobile merger NEVER goes through. GOD knows what their mins/data plans will be if this merger does go through. Even though HSPA+ is better than 3G, there is no need to take advantage of consumers and charge more. Especially since AT&T doesnt even advertise their 4G network at all. It is never mentioned in the stores at all. There are no pamphlets that show one AT&T's 4G coverage either.
    08-21-11 04:06 AM
    I love how NO ONE has answered my question. Why would it go from 4G to EDGE? What happened to 3G? Obviously there is more 3G than there is 4G, so why revert from semi-4G cover to immediately EDGE? I'd rather have 3G then have it go immediately to EDGE. Anyways, i cant wait for the 9900. I got the 9930 today, but my phone has 1 signal bar to none in my apt, so i am sticking with T-Mobile.
    The first person who replied answered your question completely!

Plus, as stated, you asked this question in another thread... stop making new threads for the same problem/question...
    08-21-11 04:08 AM
    That answer doesn't make sense. Someone needs to reply: If the 4G is not there than the 3G icon will appear and if the 3G icon isnt there than EDGE will appear. No one has said that yet.
    08-21-11 04:12 AM
    T-Mobile users are really going to get the shaft if this merger goes through.

AT&T execs are saying that T-Mobile customers will have to replace their current 3G/4G phones once the merger is completed. This will be a mandatory upgrade unless of course you want your phone to work on edge only.

....ouch.
    08-21-11 04:19 AM
    That answer doesn't make sense. Someone needs to reply: If the 4G is not there than the 3G icon will appear and if the 3G icon isnt there than EDGE will appear. No one has said that yet.
    Nobody has said that yet because that can't happen. Why would someone lie to you by telling you something you want to hear that isn't true???

From what I gather, ATT/T-Mobile's HSPA+ 4G network replaced their 3G network on those phones. So 4G/3G is the same thing. 4G is really like 3.5G.

So, if you don't have the 4G (which again, is just their 3G network with a booster) you will have EDGE.

Basically, on those networks 4G=3G. They are the same exact thing. The carrier calls it 4G, but its just a 3G phone with a booster in the hardware or something that makes it a bit faster.

Not sure how else to explain it, n19htmare explained it perfectly...
    orlandoroman likes this.
    08-21-11 04:21 AM
    4G is HSPA+ or 3G+ as people say. If the 4G isn't there...it's going to be Edge. You won't see a 3G icon because HSPA+ is 3G+ but T-Mobile's marking is calling it 4G.
    08-21-11 04:28 AM
    I like the last 2 responses. It makes sense now. Phonedog.com said this while reviewing the MyTouch 4G: This phone can't do 3G. It goes from 4G to EDGE. This was said during a phone review, so it must have been said because the reviewer was not fully aware, but the last 2 responses made perfect sense.

I know T-Mobile customers are gonna get screwed over cause when AT&T merged with Cingular, they made all customers get new handsets and they refused 2 help me cause my phone was branded AT&T and not with a Cingular logo

08-21-11 04:36 AM
    I think T-Mobile is doing a disservice to its customers by saying the 9900 is the "first 4G BB on T-Mobile". Very misleading. I think in the end Verizon's LTE is going to be the standard. I live in Boston, have an LTE data card and I'm topping out at 25mbps down and spiking to almost 35. I'm hoping RIM will have an LTE BB out by next Spring.
    08-21-11 04:47 AM
    I'm sure they'll have an LTE BB in 2012. I think Sprint and AT&T all mentioned they are doing LTE as well, but from the sounds of it, having decent 4G LTE coverage on those carriers won't be happening till 2013 cause stuff like this takes time. I don't mind that T-Mobile is advertising BB Bold 9900 as the first 4G Blackberry cause HSPA+ promises 4G like speeds. I thinkAT&T is the last carrier 2 get into the 4G gamei just hope this merger doesn't go through because AT&T is awful on soooo many levels and soooo expensive.

08-21-11 05:18 AM
    I think T-Mobile is doing a disservice to its customers by saying the 9900 is the "first 4G BB on T-Mobile". Very misleading. I think in the end Verizon's LTE is going to be the standard. I live in Boston, have an LTE data card and I'm topping out at 25mbps down and spiking to almost 35. I'm hoping RIM will have an LTE BB out by next Spring.
    I'm sure they'll have an LTE BB in 2012. I think Sprint and AT&T all mentioned they are doing LTE as well, but from the sounds of it, having decent 4G LTE coverage on those carriers won't be happening till 2013 cause stuff like this takes time. I don't mind that T-Mobile is advertising BB Bold 9900 as the first 4G Blackberry cause HSPA+ promises 4G like speeds. I thinkAT&T is the last carrier 2 get into the 4G gamei just hope this merger doesn't go through because AT&T is awful on soooo many levels and soooo expensive.

The disservice comes at the hands of the approving entity - they agreed to call HSPA+ "4G". Can't fault the carriers for adhering to that (admittedly mushy) standard.

Is it bogus? Yep. Did carriers lobby for it? Yep. Will any consumers understand it? Maybe sometime down the road....after they've bought their handsets.
    08-21-11 05:26 AM
    As a follow-up to this question (because I was wondering the same thing), the mobile network options are 3G/H+; 2G; or 3G/H+ & 2G.

So the radio should cycle like this: GSM > GPRS > EDGE > H+

And if it cannot lock onto an H+ signal, it should drop to EDGE. 3G is not handled as its own separate "band". I think that is what you were asking.
    08-23-11 06:14 AM
    And I haven't seen any screenshots from a T-Mobile 9900, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use a 4G icon instead of H+

Marketing. Pffft.
    08-23-11 06:15 AM
    As a follow-up to this question (because I was wondering the same thing), the mobile network options are 3G/H+; 2G; or 3G/H+ & 2G.

So the radio should cycle like this: GSM > GPRS > EDGE > H+

And if it cannot lock onto an H+ signal, it should drop to EDGE. 3G is not handled as its own separate "band". I think that is what you were asking.
    Correct

And I haven't seen any screenshots from a T-Mobile 9900, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use a 4G icon instead of H+

Marketing. Pffft.
    They are.
    08-23-11 09:03 AM
    Something I noticed yesterday. My 4G signal dropped down to "EDGE" and it was plenty fast. I had my 3G iPad next to me and browsing was just as fast. I then noticed that it dropped down to "edge" it then the speeds went to a crawl.
    08-23-11 09:22 AM

Marketing. Pffft.
    That is right. My T-Mobile bold shows 4G. No H.
    08-23-11 09:23 AM
    Thanks guys.
    08-23-11 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD