11-07-11 08:07 AM
55 123
tools
    so the 4g icon is OS related ? how can i get that on my rogers 9900
    I think it may be as much carrier related as it is OS related. I remember a while back ago when I had a Tour 9630 on Sprint I installed a leaked OS 5 which displayed a 3G icon on Verizon branded Tours but would still only display 1XEV on Sprint.
    11-06-11 03:38 PM
    If they were to charge for NFC use (which I believe the companies that Bla1ze mentioned are). What would they tell people the charge is due to?

I personally would switch to a carrier that wasn't charging for it since I think it's complete crap they would do that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I am having an issue trying to figure out how they would even charge for it. Is there a monitoring system built into the OS that would tell the carries that you "scanned" something?

Why not charge for Bluetooth?
    11-07-11 07:32 AM
    NFC is enabled on Verizon as of the latest OS release from Verizon (and before that if using another carrier's OS). Doesn't seem like Verizon has a problem with NFC at all.
    The fact that NFC is enabled on the 9930 through VZW (And the 9900 on TMO if I remember correctly) does NOT mean that Verizon is perfectly cool with allowing users to take free advantage of NFC in the future. The truth is that NFC is a very new technology (at least in this application) and the advanced abilities (such as mobile payments, etc) are just not available at this point. While you may be able to use NFC to access smart tags, and eventually data transfer using the BlackBerry Tap or whatever it's called, I would be shocked if the more advanced features, once developed, wouldn't be controlled directly by the carriers, and didn't come with some sort of charge. So while you can use NFC now to do virtually nothing, I would think that once things are farther along, carriers will charge for some portion of the service.

I am having an issue trying to figure out how they would even charge for it. Is there a monitoring system built into the OS that would tell the carries that you "scanned" something?

Why not charge for Bluetooth?
    It's possible that it could be via a service book, like ifarlow said, the truth is we just don't know yet. It could be via an application that you have to get from your carrier, or your credit card provider. It's possible that the carriers could enable NFC (like Verizon has already) to allow you to scan Smart Tags and transfer data (similar to Bluetooth) but control the mobile payments, and advanced services of NFC.
    11-07-11 07:52 AM
    If you google ISIS online you can find that AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile had plans to charge the merchants for each payment transactions (like credit card companies do when we use our card to pay for things).
    However, they have given up on that because of infrastructure changes that needs to be done before they could run their own credit card company.

But they can still charge the banks when you "download" your "credit card" to your BlackBerry.
    That is a huge money there for carriers.

I don't think they can charge us.
    Last edited by Vijik; 11-07-11 at 08:09 AM.
    11-07-11 07:56 AM
    @elvin1983, the application you mentioned in your post could well be the Wallet application every one is talking about.

If it is a wallet app from carriers, and "credit cards" are sent to SIM card then carriers know when you download the card and they can charge the banks for the downloaded card.
    Banks still save money on this comparing to the cost they pay today for plastic cards and the cost of abused stolen/lost cards.
    11-07-11 08:07 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD