I believe they said that it would be available for business users the following day.
    11-04-11 02:48 PM
    First, you have no idea that AT&T will ever enable NFC. Second, the way that they have disabled NFC suggests that an OS update won't ever bring back NFC. I fully expect a line-item to appear in users' accounts to enable NFC for a charge. That's as bad as AT&T charging for Bridge data.
    AT&T might as well charge for bluetooth use.

Sorry sir but you can't use your speaker phone in your car. That is an additional charge.
    Sorry sir but you can't use your phone in your house on your wifi network. That is an additional charge.
    Sorry sir but you can't download your address book to your car. That is an additional charge.
    11-04-11 02:53 PM
    to summarize the thread so far:

ATT BLOWS
    11-04-11 02:59 PM
    If NFC will require a service book, does that mean that people that buy unlocked Rogers phones with NFC will have their NFC deactivated?
    11-04-11 03:13 PM
    I don't think NFC is Service Book controlled. I've checked all of mine and there's nothing new there that wasn't on my 9780.

I believe it's Vendor ID controlled, in the same way 3G/H+/4G symbols are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jcp007 and elvin1983 like this.
    11-04-11 03:35 PM
    I don't think NFC is Service Book controlled. I've checked all of mine and there's nothing new there that wasn't on my 9780.
    This may be true, but the end result is the same. AT&T will have control over NFC as to when it is enable or not, just as they have control over Bridge, BlackBerry Maps, etc.
    11-04-11 03:37 PM
    Our procurement company confirmed that it will be available to business users on November 7th although they got a little upset since their system does not support pre-orders.
    11-04-11 04:25 PM
    nfc was the problem all along over the past few months.no wonder at&t disabled it.its going to be no problem for at&t since none of the other new bb's have nfc either.qnx devices will.
    11-04-11 07:26 PM
    Yeah, I bet with QNX NFC will be enabled...
    11-04-11 09:07 PM
    Does it have the NFC battery cover? If not, then I waited for nothing I guess.

Edit: Well, since it will never have NFC, where can we get unlocked ones that will work on ATT 3G+ network. I really don't want to risk getting an unlocked T-Mobile version of the phone.

If my memory serves me correctly, a Rogers or a Telus unit will work perfectly!
    Last edited by pilot-leo; 11-05-11 at 12:37 AM.
    11-05-11 12:30 AM
    i like how .440 brought us the 4G icon vs the H+ one. looks better.
    I think the 4G icon is simply misleading...
    11-05-11 12:32 AM
    So AT&T 9900 shows 4G icon (3G/4G: Bands 1,2,5,6)
    -vs-
    AT&T 9860 shows H+ icon (3G/H+: Bands 1,2,5.6)
    Why AT&T don't keep the same icon for their BB network ?
    Real 4G is doesn't exist, its completely Fake.. Like Tmo do..--'
    Last edited by alunkkk; 11-05-11 at 02:44 AM.
    11-05-11 02:40 AM
    Hey guys let us not forget,there IS a working Blackberry maps workaround.There IS a Bridge workaround.I am completely confident there will be a NFC workaround as well.ATT has apparently made it their goal to cripple devices.Hence the 3 month lag to release the Bold 9900.My guess is they have been hard at work figuring out what they can control and disable,the entire time it has been released on the other carriers.The good news is the great minds here at Crackberry work just as hard(harder) to give the devices back full capabilities as shipped from RIM(thank you,thank you,thank you!!!)I'm getting my Bold 9900 tomarrow as planned.Bla1ze,thanks for the heads up on this.C'mon people we all knew ATT would never release it untouched.You can plan on it from here on out if your on ATT like me and you want a BB.
    11-05-11 07:38 AM
    Congrats to getting the 9900 AT&Ters
    11-05-11 03:46 PM
    No, not via an OS update. I expect NFC will arrive only with a service book, once the user has paid for the privilege to use NFC.
    As a matter of fact, I'm confident that AT&T is in the minority (and may be the only one) when it comes to disabling NFC, at least the way that it appears that they have.
    Confidence based on ignorance? *eyeroll*

From a few reliable sources (N4BB.com and a few of my own sources) T Mobile requested that RIM block NFC on their branded devices via the OS....so, I'm sure, it's safe to assume AT&T could make the same request.

** After digging through service books from diffrent carriers from around the world I have yet to find one thats tired to NFC and its functionality...
    11-05-11 07:00 PM
    Just a reminder: AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon are all a part of ISIS. No coincidence that those 3 carriers have all had issues with enabling NFC on BlackBerry.

(Which basically confirms what I've been saying all along -- they'll continue to mess with NFC until they can figure out how to profit off of it directly -- anyone who thinks they're working on contactless data transfer or otherwise making your life easier through NFC is disillusioned, all abt the $$ and how to get more from you without you even noticing.)

*puts on tinfoil hat*
    elvin1983 likes this.
    11-05-11 10:56 PM
    Just a reminder: AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon are all a part of ISIS. No coincidence that those 3 carriers have all had issues with enabling NFC on BlackBerry.

(Which basically confirms what I've been saying all along -- they'll continue to mess with NFC until they can figure out how to profit off of it directly -- anyone who thinks they're working on contactless data transfer or otherwise making your life easier through NFC is disillusioned, all abt the $$ and how to get more from you without you even noticing.)

*puts on tinfoil hat*
    Oh no, it's only AT&T because they're the devil. You know...
    11-05-11 11:09 PM
    nfc was the problem all along over the past few months.no wonder at&t disabled it.its going to be no problem for at&t since none of the other new bb's have nfc either.qnx devices will.
    What problem are you referring too? Thanks.
    11-05-11 11:45 PM
    DadaThePanda,
    I also have a Bold 9930 and use NFC quite a bit. I know the Bold is pretty sweet with speed dial and other shortcuts but NFC takes it to the next level.

I have an NFC tag in my car's cradle and I don't need to type an e-mail to my wife that I'm leaving work, turn off wifi, turn on blue tooth, and launch and turn on drivesafe.ly (thanks RIM) all automatically.
    If you blend NFC Launcher with SCM you can do anyting. Certainly there are tasks that are just not worth it but just to watch my occasional passenger flip out when all that happens automatically (free marketing for BlackBerry and fun for me, not to mention functional and efficient) is worth it.
    That is an example of what it can do now, what is even cooler is what it will be able to do in the near future.
    To each his own, the phone is awesome with or without it but it sure is efficient for me.
    11-06-11 12:09 AM
    Meh thought some of these banks would get on it and make some app in which we can merge our bank cards through NFC.

*sigh*

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-06-11 01:26 AM
    NFC is enabled on Verizon as of the latest OS release from Verizon (and before that if using another carrier's OS). Doesn't seem like Verizon has a problem with NFC at all.
    11-06-11 06:17 AM
    Confidence based on ignorance? *eyeroll*
    Nope. Confidence based on my history with AT&T, but nice try being clever.
    11-06-11 06:18 AM
    If they were to charge for NFC use (which I believe the companies that Bla1ze mentioned are). What would they tell people the charge is due to?

I personally would switch to a carrier that wasn't charging for it since I think it's complete crap they would do that.

11-06-11 06:52 AM
    Nope. Confidence based on my history with AT&T, but nice try being clever.
    You proved my point with that reply - you have no idea what you're talking about in that previous post...

11-06-11 12:32 PM
    I like th 4G one as well, even though I know it's kind of a farce.
    so the 4g icon is OS related ? how can i get that on my rogers 9900
    11-06-11 03:32 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD