Self explanatory, and no -- loading a leaked OS does not enable it. Tested on WIND .464
    11-03-11 11:50 PM
    NFC? No

Bloatware out the a--. With pleasure.
    11-04-11 12:01 AM
    Does it have the NFC battery cover? If not, then I waited for nothing I guess.

Edit: Well, since it will never have NFC, where can we get unlocked ones that will work on ATT 3G+ network. I really don't want to risk getting an unlocked T-Mobile version of the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mathrin; 11-04-11 at 12:51 AM.
    11-04-11 12:36 AM
    does this mean att is getting this phone sometime soon? i would really much rather have this than another iphone but i don't want to give up att.
    11-04-11 12:56 AM
    where can we get unlocked ones that will work on ATT 3G+ network. I really don't want to risk getting an unlocked T-Mobile version of the phone.
    An unlocked Telus or Rogers works fine on at&t, look on ebay or the classifieds here on CB
    11-04-11 12:58 AM
    does this mean att is getting this phone sometime soon? i would really much rather have this than another iphone but i don't want to give up att.
    Dude where have you been? ATT gave a release date it's the 6th, this Sunday. online And in Stores.
    11-04-11 01:03 AM
    i like how .440 brought us the 4G icon vs the H+ one. looks better.
    11-04-11 01:31 AM
    Does it have the NFC battery cover?

Yes, components are there -- just not enabled.
    11-04-11 01:51 AM
    I like th 4G one as well, even though I know it's kind of a farce.
    11-04-11 01:52 AM
    has anyone been able to find out what the hardware changes were, if any, as previously reported? im curious to compare to the prototype that i have that was made 6/21/11.
    11-04-11 02:21 AM
    Does it have the NFC battery cover? If not, then I waited for nothing I guess.

Edit: Well, since it will never have NFC, where can we get unlocked ones that will work on ATT 3G+ network. I really don't want to risk getting an unlocked T-Mobile version of the phone.

Yes, components are there -- just not enabled.
    I'm sure that NFC will come to the AT&T 9900 via an OS update sometime in the future. Let's all not forget that the VZW 9930 also launched with NFC disabled, and was later added with the updated OS. Let's remember, these carriers all ponied up big bucks to buy into NFC, and I'm sure that they would like to be able to control certain aspects of the technology to get a return on their investment. Sure, you'll probably be able to access NFC Smart Tags for free when they're not attached to a mobile payment system, but I'd be surprised if the carriers (ALL of them, not just ATT) didn't charge some sort of fee to use certain aspects of NFC, especially with concern to mobile payments. Let's not go blasting AT&T for disabling it upon launch, it can be re-enabled at a later date. Like Bla1ze said, the hardware is there, just needs to be enabled.
    11-04-11 08:07 AM
    I don't see why people are unhappy AT&T is restricting NFC, what does it do anyway? RIM has NO apps to make it useful, 3rd party apps don't exist, it is a useless feature. At least Google pushed their "wallet" out and have some partners, what did RIM do? They put NFC on so they can charge more money, it's like putting a rocket engine on a car, but you can not go above the speed limit anyway.
    11-04-11 08:44 AM
    I don't see why people are unhappy AT&T is restricting NFC, what does it do anyway? RIM has NO apps to make it useful, 3rd party apps don't exist, it is a useless feature. At least Google pushed their "wallet" out and have some partners, what did RIM do? They put NFC on so they can charge more money, it's like putting a rocket engine on a car, but you can not go above the speed limit anyway.
    Third party apps don't exist? Have you looked at NFCLauncher?
    anon1496273 likes this.
    11-04-11 12:23 PM
    NFC LAuncer? HA! that's useless, I mean after buying the app one has to buy tags and give them a purpose? Geee! I can't press the dial button to call my mom, I better get a NFC tag to do it for me. Or, I can't lock my phone and turn on Vlingo when I get in teh car, let me buy a tag and set it up so it does it for me. LAME! what about real functionality like the Google wallet, or pass key for access into buildings or to log on at work?
    11-04-11 12:32 PM
    NFC LAuncer? HA! that's useless, I mean after buying the app one has to buy tags and give them a purpose? Geee! I can't press the dial button to call my mom, I better get a NFC tag to do it for me. Or, I can't lock my phone and turn on Vlingo when I get in teh car, let me buy a tag and set it up so it does it for me. LAME! what about real functionality like the Google wallet, or pass key for access into buildings or to log on at work?
    Might be useless to you, but not others... and it IS still another use for NFC. Works great for me when I'm on the road driving and I need to call someone. Tap a tag and it activates voice dialing for me. Without it I'd have to either pull over to make the call or risk lives by activating voice dialing while juggling driving.
    CalClay and Terrigno like this.
    11-04-11 12:38 PM
    I don't want to get into an argument on how useful this app is but it seems to me that you area still distracted when looking for your phone to tap on the tag. Also, since you are so safety-minded I assume you have a head set or a car speaker to use while driving and those have a voice dialing feature, therefore the NFC tag is rendered useless.
    11-04-11 12:43 PM
    IF your phone doesn't say 4G installing this OS won't change it will be H+ or 3G stil...
    11-04-11 01:17 PM
    This logic makes no sense.... Maybe they should include a LTE chipset, then disable the LTE because most people won't have LTE coverage on AT&T. You shouldn't care because you wouldn't have LTE coverage anyways...
    11-04-11 01:49 PM
    IT was a hardware revision needed or not for ATT???
    11-04-11 02:01 PM
    I'm sure that NFC will come to the AT&T 9900 via an OS update sometime in the future.
    No, not via an OS update. I expect NFC will arrive only with a service book, once the user has paid for the privilege to use NFC.

Let's all not forget that the VZW 9930 also launched with NFC disabled, and was later added with the updated OS.
    However, the difference here is that if you load a newer OS on the AT&T 9900, NFC is not enabled. When the Verizon 9930 was released without NFC, an OS from any other carrier would enable it. Therefore, it strongly suggests that AT&T has blocked NFC via a service book, not by tweaking the OS. That points to AT&T charging users to enable NFC in the future. Just like they did with Bridge.

Let's remember, these carriers all ponied up big bucks to buy into NFC, and I'm sure that they would like to be able to control certain aspects of the technology to get a return on their investment.
    Are there any carriers other than AT&T that block and/or charge for NFC? I can tell you Verizon has no problem giving me NFC capabilities free of charge, and I'm sure others do the same. As a matter of fact, I'm confident that AT&T is in the minority (and may be the only one) when it comes to disabling NFC, at least the way that it appears that they have.

Let's not go blasting AT&T for disabling it upon launch, it can be re-enabled at a later date. Like Bla1ze said, the hardware is there, just needs to be enabled.
    First, you have no idea that AT&T will ever enable NFC. Second, the way that they have disabled NFC suggests that an OS update won't ever bring back NFC. I fully expect a line-item to appear in users' accounts to enable NFC for a charge. That's as bad as AT&T charging for Bridge data.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 11-04-11 at 02:06 PM.
    11-04-11 02:03 PM
    No, not via an OS update. I expect NFC will arrive only with a service book, once the user has paid for the privilege to use NFC.

However, the difference here is that if you load a newer OS on the AT&T 9900, NFC is not enabled. When the Verizon 9930 was released without NFC, an OS from any other carrier would enable it. Therefore, it strongly suggests that AT&T has blocked NFC via a service book, not by tweaking the OS. That points to AT&T charging users to enable NFC in the future. Just like they did with Bridge
    Well I can see your point on the Service Book being used to enable/disable NFC, and honestly did not think about that.

Are there any carriers other than AT&T that block and/or charge for NFC? I can tell you Verizon has no problem giving me NFC capabilities free of charge, and I'm sure others do the same. As a matter of fact, I'm confident that AT&T is in the minority (and may be the only one) when it comes to disabling NFC, at least the way that it appears that they have.
    While there are other carriers who have enabled NFC on their 99XX's, that doesn't automatically mean that they won't start charging users to take advantage of NFC once the ability to make full use of it is put out there. AT&T may be monitoring things a little more closely at the initial launch, but that doesn't mean that other carriers are just going to let NFC be free. Like I said, I can't see these major carriers ponying up the money they did to invest in NFC and not charging some sort of fee for users to use the service once it becomes more common.

First, you have no idea that AT&T will ever enable NFC. Second, the way that they have disabled NFC suggests that an OS update won't ever bring back NFC. I fully expect a line-item to appear in users' accounts to enable NFC for a charge. That's as bad as AT&T charging for Bridge data.
    See, neither of us know if AT&T will enable NFC, it's all speculation whether I say it or you say it. I never stated anything as fact, I just stated what I thought, and what I believe. I think that all carriers will charge to use NFC once the services are out there for users to take full advantage of the technology. I want to be wrong, I hope I am wrong about this. I think it'd be great if it was a free service for all to use fully. I don't think that's what's going to happen, and I was fully convinced of it when I saw the article stating that the major wireless carriers invested a large sum of money into NFC. They aren't going to do anything for free. Your service book theory makes a lot of sense to me, and like I said, I hadn't thought about it. I'm just saying that we shouldn't chastise AT&T for disabling a feature that was disabled by another major carrier for a period of time when we don't know exactly how things are going to pan out in the future regarding NFC. If AT&T charges for it and no other carrier does, then we can jump all over AT&T, but until then it's not really a big deal IMO.
    11-04-11 02:34 PM
    ^^ Except that AT&T has a history with the bridge, so it's not all simple speculation across the board.
    11-04-11 02:38 PM
    ^^ Except that AT&T has a history with the bridge, so it's not all simple speculation across the board.
    That's true, I haven't said that AT&T isn't going to charge for NFC, I've been saying all along that I thought that they would, along with Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. I'd be shocked if they didn't charge.
    11-04-11 02:44 PM
    I ordered one for work on ATT. How soon will it be available for business users once it is released on Sunday?
    11-04-11 02:44 PM
    Well people that have private fuel stations, parking gates, etc. will be happy when they can use their phone instead of carrying another card that they can loose.
    11-04-11 02:47 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD