I know CX or PG might already be playing with their AT&T 9900 test unit. I was wondering if anyone had any updates to the AT&T release.

I can speak for a bunch of AT&T users who are eagerly waiting to shell money on this new beast...definitely (at least for me) if AT&T brings this device out before the iphone 5 gets delivered...
    08-16-11 01:18 PM
    to however is testing the device on att. I use a Rogers 9900 on att and it is working perfectly. h+ in almost every location, couldn't be better....
    08-16-11 01:27 PM
    I know CX or PG might already be playing with their AT&T 9900 test unit. I was wondering if anyone had any updates to the AT&T release.

I can speak for a bunch of AT&T users who are eagerly waiting to shell money on this new beast...definitely (at least for me) if AT&T brings this device out before the iphone 5 gets delivered...
    Still looks like Nov 22nd......or close to that date.
    08-16-11 01:33 PM
    Apple isn't telling AT&T anything. It's not like the 9900 will sell more units than the iPhone 5 in all honesty.

Because it's too much like the 9700. Very little difference between the two is the reason.
    Actually there are two very significant differences between the 9700 and the 9780. One is the 9780's camera which is still the best that RIM offers, the other is BB OS 6.0 which is pre-intalled on the 9780 and works reasonably well. It's an "upgrade" for the 9700 and barely works on the 9700.

Then there is the cool black chrome bezel of course.
    08-18-11 08:35 AM
    Actually there are two very significant differences between the 9700 and the 9780. One is the 9780's camera which is still the best that RIM offers, the other is BB OS 6.0 which is pre-intalled on the 9780 and works reasonably well. It's an "upgrade" for the 9700 and barely works on the 9700.

Dont forget the 9780 has 512MB RAM vs 256MB on the 9700.
    08-18-11 08:37 AM

I'm just telling you why AT&T didn't pick up the 9780. In their eyes, and others, there weren't enough differences to warrant carrying it. While the average CrackBerry user would/did upgrade to the 9780 from 9700, the average customer didn't see much of a reason to. Hence the decision to not carry it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 08:42 AM
    I'm just telling you why AT&T didn't pick up the 9780. In their eyes, and others, there weren't enough differences to warrant carrying it. While the average CrackBerry user would/did upgrade to the 9780 from 9700, the average customer didn't see much of a reason to. Hence the decision to not carry it.

The average customer wasn't given the opportunity to upgrade. Retail customers can't even buy a 9700. All so AT&T can push the Torch.
    08-18-11 11:06 AM
    ive been rocking my 9000 for a long time, im a die hard blackberry fan, but the fact that waiting till november for att to release the 9900 was taking its toll on me... so i went to best buy two days ago, just to look, ended up buying an Atrix "4G" now this is my first non blackberry smartphone device... i must say i enjoy it thus far

now the reason i went with this phone, is i was able to get it for free, and with my 2nd line i can upgrade to the 9900 when it drops, if i want

just needed a new phone
    08-18-11 11:12 AM
    ive been rocking my 9000 for a long time, im a die hard blackberry fan, but the fact that waiting till november for att to release the 9900 was taking its toll on me... so i went to best buy two days ago, just to look, ended up buying an Atrix "4G" now this is my first non blackberry smartphone device... i must say i enjoy it thus far

now the reason i went with this phone, is i was able to get it for free, and with my 2nd line i can upgrade to the 9900 when it drops, if i want

just needed a new phone
    And AT&T just isn't selling a decent BB right now and possible won't be until November.
    08-18-11 01:15 PM
    And AT&T just isn't selling a decent BB right now and possible won't be until November.
    But they have the Torch 1.5
    08-18-11 01:26 PM
    Hey PG,
    I was suppose to back after I would hear from you or CX but I am back anyways! How are you doing? You must have been playing with the 9900 already or probably your Iphone 5 by now. Anything you can share? I am hoping AT&T is going to get us very smooth 9900 whenever that is coming out. Any input would be appreciated!

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point...

not sure how many times I have to say this is not true but its not true...

I haven't seen the 9900 hardware yet, its due out of the lab this week I believe but I believe it should be the same hardware as Rogers.

Absolutely correct.

Apple is the only carrier allowed to control the release date of its product. As much as we may want RIM to be the top player Apple is the fact remains that they are not.

I also agree that 9900 will outsell 9810 but it won't be anything like ten fold. And I will say now that I expect 9860 to outsell 9900 on at&ts network...

PG
    09-29-11 03:56 PM
    Hey PG,
    I was suppose to back after I would hear from you or CX but I am back anyways! How are you doing? You must have been playing with the 9900 already or probably your Iphone 5 by now. Anything you can share? I am hoping AT&T is going to get us very smooth 9900 whenever that is coming out. Any input would be appreciated!

Don't know if this is what you want to hear.....

Both the 9900 & 9860 are as of now delayed on AT&T beyond October. Both devices have received two hardware changes and the 9900 is set to have another HW swap. Neither device has had a firmware update for a while. I have been been aware of this for a little bit but have been hesitant in posting it. PG is aware of the exact same thing & is in total agreement.

I know this sucks for AT&T users but it's almost like the 9000 all over again. Of course most will blame AT&T for this, but it's really not their fault. Their committed to giving customers a fully functional device with minimal to no problems and the current devices have many of them.
    09-29-11 04:28 PM
    Thanks for the info RoseBud.

damn...that news broke my heart..
    09-29-11 11:22 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    my Rogers Bold 9900 has been flawless since i started using it August 10th...

Is there something unique to ATT...or perhaps too busy looking to disable some bb features so they can make more money?....

just wondering .....
    09-30-11 06:43 AM
    When a company keeps something like this under wraps it makes it impossible for me to apply any trust to their motivations. Even if they are making improvements, it can't matter to me since its all hush hush. Yeah I know some of the guys have implied "improved network compatibility but if you read what they said closely you will realize what they said is "Hardware Changes to be implemented and no Firmware Changes as of lately". That could mean anything. For all I know it could be a battery door without an NFC antenna.

Yes I know the missing antenna is extremely unlikely, just illustrating my point.

I'm under the impression the 9810 released in August is using the same hardware except for the camera, WiFi adapter, and NFC module so letting us think network compatibility is the issue makes me trust the rumors even less. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Say, NFC when it gets rolling, will be a big deal right? NFC is the only REAL difference between the 9900 and the 9810 right? It is also a potential source of income for greedy corporate swine right? The US is the perfect place for charging people for features that should be included right?

Just thinkin out loud.

Or could they be working on future LTE compatibility? That would make sense because the 9860 is also being held up and both the 9900 and 9860 will be full price devices unlike the Torch 2 9810 that is practically free by today's standards. You can't bltch about not having LTE with a simple firmware update later on down the road when you paid $30 or $50 balloons for your phone.

Last edited by olblueyez; 09-30-11 at 09:39 AM.
    09-30-11 09:20 AM
    Yes I know the missing antenna is extremely unlikely, just illustrating my point.
    Remove the antenna? Probably not. Tweak NFC controls to permit AT&T to remote enable/disable based on service charges? Probably so.
    09-30-11 09:26 AM
116 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD