The biggest issue is that many user's Blackberries are on their last thread and literally need new phones not because it's cool but because of necessity... And of course we are so loyal there are no other options than to wait!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 08:24 PM
    If and I know that's a big IF the 9900 has a smooth field testing and gets TA within 30 days, do you see a late september launch at all?

Is it possible, yes however I give that possibility about .001% chance at this point.

I just don't understand why AT&T would do this to its customers. Every other service provider streamlined the 9900 and has it ready for release, yet AT&T holds back the most anticipated Blackberry since the 9000, and pushes the Torch 2 forward.

Now I have to wait another 2 months to get a 9900.
    Because to be truthful we have nothing better to do than withhold devices we know customers really want (9900) and instead force them to have devices they don't like (9810 and 9860).

Its because AT&T has an exclusive on the Torch 2 and made that a priority and apparently AT&T is so complex the 9900 had more issues with testing versus with other carriers. There's almost no hype for the torch 2 versus the 9900 I don't understand AT&t thinking either the 9900 is easily going outsell the Torch 2 it won't even be close.

It's AT&T being their usual self. Nobody can figure them out.
    So to be brutally honest I am not conviced yet that is a big deal. If I look at this from a marketing perspective (which hurts me to do because I am not a marketing guy...) I see the 9810 which has a love hate relationship with customers. People either really like that form or they really hate it, there isn't much middle ground. So that leaves the 9860 and the 9900, sales VPs may have made the leap that the 9860 with OS7 will be a much sexier device than the 9900. Having used the 9860 for a week now I can understand how that conclusion would be drawn. Lastly the 9900 is slightly larger but generally looks like a blackberry and while RIM is calling this a flagship device general customer perception may be that this is just another blackberry...

I don't usually defend all the garbage my company does but in this instance I am not entirely certain they are wrong. Once I get my hands on the 9900 I will say for certain....

PG
    08-06-11 08:31 PM
    Is it possible, yes however I give that possibility about .001% chance at this point.

Because to be truthful we have nothing better to do than withhold devices we know customers really want (9900) and instead force them to have devices they don't like (9810 and 9860).

So to be brutally honest I am not conviced yet that is a big deal. If I look at this from a marketing perspective (which hurts me to do because I am not a marketing guy...) I see the 9810 which has a love hate relationship with customers. People either really like that form or they really hate it, there isn't much middle ground. So that leaves the 9860 and the 9900, sales VPs may have made the leap that the 9860 with OS7 will be a much sexier device than the 9900. Having used the 9860 for a week now I can understand how that conclusion would be drawn. Lastly the 9900 is slightly larger but generally looks like a blackberry and while RIM is calling this a flagship device general customer perception may be that this is just another blackberry...

I don't usually defend all the garbage my company does but in this instance I am not entirely certain they are wrong. Once I get my hands on the 9900 I will say for certain....

PG
    The 9900 has been the most sought after form factor for quite some time now, there has yet to be a preumim device on the market that combines a touch screen with a great keyboard. Releasing a device 2 months after every other carrier in the US releases it is a BIG deal in my opinion as well as most of the people who are on AT&T eagerly awaiting this device.

Last edited by blanc71; 08-06-11 at 08:50 PM.
    08-06-11 08:46 PM
    apple being apple.telling at&t to let them strike first.with the rumored iphone 5 to be a huge upgrade and not comparable to going from iphone 3gs to iphone 4,apple would be in the driver seat take high strides in their business sales and leaving rim to pick up what may or may not be left.the iphone 5 is going to sale like crazy all of this and next year.even im considering the iphone.blackberries coming after the iphone only serves at&t best.at&t's loyalty to apple is clearly shown.the iphone is always going to be their A1 tier device.its the holy grail for them.so its leave rim with a bad taste in their mouth because right now a lot folks are moving to apple/android.i could see a clash between rim and at&t in the near future if things remain like this.
    Last edited by chetan1285; 08-06-11 at 09:26 PM.
    08-06-11 08:50 PM
    Hmmm common no not really. By the time a device makes it to field trial we usually don't see many deal breakers on the hardware side. Once it a while one will sneak through the lab but since the debacle in 2008 with the 9000 the lab guys on our side are usually good at weeding out the HW issues. Most smartphones get 2 or 3 updates of SW during field trial, more if there are more issues found but 2-3 is the avg...

That doesn't mean that carriers will rush the testing part with the mindset that we can push updates to customers or that customers will update their device. You have to realize that the people that spend time here and know how to readily update their device SW makeup about 2% or the smartphone users. IMO the other 98% are not intelligent enough to handle it without screwing it up...

hope that answers your question...

PG
    PG, Thanks for your input here. From a hardware perspective in the lab testing. Does AT&T have slightly different hardware or exactly the same has rogers?

Based on what i reading, unless hardware bugs are uncovered during the field testing, it should be identical to Rogers right?
    08-06-11 09:32 PM

PG
    AT&T already seems to be forcing people to buy the Torch, they don't sell the 9780 for some reason.
    08-06-11 09:51 PM
    Its because AT&T has an exclusive on the Torch 2 and made that a priority and apparently AT&T is so complex the 9900 had more issues with testing versus with other carriers. There's almost no hype for the torch 2 versus the 9900 I don't understand AT&t thinking either the 9900 is easily going outsell the Torch 2 it won't even be close.

Exactly! All the Blackberry hype recently has been about the 9900, not the Torch 2. The 9900 will outsell the Torch 2 tenfold, yet AT&T holds it back so it will get less sales? Terrible.
    08-06-11 11:05 PM
    More customers will then buy an iPhone. Simple, really.
    08-06-11 11:10 PM
    RIM thought that AT&T's Torch was the Flagship Device of 2010 and figured the Torch 2 would do well in sales....Frankly WE the consumers are right and they are wrong. We know already what the Flagship Device is, and hopefully AT&T will know better the next time.
    08-06-11 11:52 PM
    ATT is busy putting "MoneyTraps" in the firmware.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-06-11 11:56 PM
    I'd roll in asking for the 9900, then threaten to switch to Verizon for the 9900 to get a reduced price on the 9900.

I mean, honestly, why is that AT&T has to be last? Some say it's because of the iPhone 5. It's quite ridiculous when Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile will all have the 9900 by the end of August.
    08-07-11 07:45 AM
    Unbelievable how rim can mess this this release up so bad
    LMAO this honestly makes me laugh....do you honestly think RIM tell teh networks when and how to launch their phones??...they dont, the build the phones and send them out to the network then its down to the network to release for their subscriber base...

RIM has absolutely no part in networks release date, thats something i learned from someone here a few mths ago....RIM doesnt control networks launch date.

Of course if im wrong then someone please correct me.
    08-07-11 08:08 AM
    LMAO this honestly makes me laugh....do you honestly think RIM tell teh networks when and how to launch their phones??...they dont, the build the phones and send them out to the network then its down to the network to release for their subscriber base...

RIM has absolutely no part in networks release date, thats something i learned from someone here a few mths ago....RIM doesnt control networks launch date.

Apple does!
    08-07-11 08:12 AM

Nope, you're right. RIM builds and ships the devices then it's up to each carrier to release them when they see fit.
    08-07-11 08:13 AM
    apple being apple.telling at&t to let them strike first.with the rumored iphone 5 to be a huge upgrade and not comparable to going from iphone 3gs to iphone 4,apple would be in the driver seat take high strides in their business sales and leaving rim to pick up what may or may not be left.the iphone 5 is going to sale like crazy all of this and next year.even im considering the iphone.blackberries coming after the iphone only serves at&t best.at&t's loyalty to apple is clearly shown.the iphone is always going to be their A1 tier device.its the holy grail for them.so its leave rim with a bad taste in their mouth because right now a lot folks are moving to apple/android.i could see a clash between rim and at&t in the near future if things remain like this.
    Apple isn't telling AT&T anything. It's not like the 9900 will sell more units than the iPhone 5 in all honesty.

AT&T already seems to be forcing people to buy the Torch, they don't sell the 9780 for some reason.
    Because it's too much like the 9700. Very little difference between the two is the reason.

I agree completely, RIM has no say so in when carriers release. They try and put pressure on them, but ultimately it's up to the carriers of course.
    08-07-11 08:16 AM
    From a hardware perspective in the AT&T lab testing. Does AT&T have slightly different hardware (9900) or exactly the same has rogers?

Based on what i reading, unless hardware bugs are uncovered during the field testing, it should be identical to Rogers right?
    08-07-11 10:27 AM
    The 9900 has been the most sought after form factor for quite some time now, there has yet to be a preumim device on the market that combines a touch screen with a great keyboard. Releasing a device 2 months after every other carrier in the US releases it is a BIG deal in my opinion as well as most of the people who are on AT&T eagerly awaiting this device.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point...

not sure how many times I have to say this is not true but its not true...

PG, Thanks for your input here. From a hardware perspective in the lab testing. Does AT&T have slightly different hardware or exactly the same has rogers?

I haven't seen the 9900 hardware yet, its due out of the lab this week I believe but I believe it should be the same hardware as Rogers.

Absolutely correct.
    Apple does!
    Apple is the only carrier allowed to control the release date of its product. As much as we may want RIM to be the top player Apple is the fact remains that they are not.

I also agree that 9900 will outsell 9810 but it won't be anything like ten fold. And I will say now that I expect 9860 to outsell 9900 on at&ts network...

PG
    purijagmohan, 3migo and data77 like this.
    08-07-11 10:31 AM

I also agree that 9900 will outsell 9810 but it won't be anything like ten fold. And I will say now that I expect 9860 to outsell 9900 on at&ts network...

PG
    Why? What does the 9860 offer that all the other slab pohones do no(?

08-07-11 11:35 AM

PG
    Wow ... Love it , that's a real bombshell there and considering that PG already has used 9860 hands on I have to defer to his good judgement there ...

Let's await the release date!!!
    08-07-11 11:46 AM
    That's shocking the 9860 could outsell the 9900!

08-07-11 11:48 AM

I don't think there's any way that's going to happen, if people want an all touch screen phone there going to buy a iphone 5 not a 9860. The 9900 offers what many are saying the best physcial keyboard on a device I think it will outsell Torch 2 and 9860.

08-07-11 11:53 AM
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this point...

not sure how many times I have to say this is not true but its not true...

I haven't seen the 9900 hardware yet, its due out of the lab this week I believe but I believe it should be the same hardware as Rogers.

Absolutely correct.

Apple is the only carrier allowed to control the release date of its product. As much as we may want RIM to be the top player Apple is the fact remains that they are not.

PG
    Thanks for the great information. I would agree that the 9860 will outsell the 9900.
    08-07-11 11:56 AM

It will if they don't bother to sell the 9900

08-07-11 12:38 PM
    It will if they don't bother to sell the 9900

If they don't sell it, move to T-Mobile or Verizon. They will love that.
    08-07-11 12:45 PM
    If they don't sell it, move to T-Mobile or Verizon. They will love that.
    T-Mobile coverage sucks in my experience. Verizon would be possible but I would rather stick with a GSM phone.

I won't ever buy a 9860 and I am not to fond of the 9810 so if AT&T don't want me to have a proper Blackberry, I will probably just buy an iPhone 5.

08-07-11 12:56 PM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD