According to news for blackberries the att will block nfc on the bold through the os,that is why the torch is dropping first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 05:41 PM
    I wonder how they intend to do that. Through software? What if you loaded another carrier's OS and bought an aftermarket NFC backplate?
    08-12-11 05:43 PM
    No they won't......good lawd.
    08-12-11 05:44 PM
    According to news for blackberries the att will block nfc on the bold through the os,that is why the torch is dropping first.

You just posted this crap in another thread - why make a new thread for rumors?
    08-12-11 05:44 PM
    ok I thought I was having Deja vu...LoL

Didn't even realize it was the same as the OP from here.
    08-12-11 05:46 PM
    No they won't......good lawd.
    Like your profile says, A suck & suck
    08-12-11 05:46 PM
    Wouldn't be surprised...they're already blocking Bridge Browser so that they can charge you to tether. Leave it to AT&T to figure out how to block the NFC and probably wireless hot spot capability as well.

After the big brother crap they've been pulling lately, I'm switching to Verizon as soon as they get the 9930.
    08-12-11 05:47 PM
    Go to n4bb.com

08-12-11 05:48 PM
    Like your profile says, A suck & suck
    That they do!
    08-12-11 05:49 PM
    You just posted this crap in another thread - why make a new thread for rumors?
    you know cb has a news and rumors section right jabronie?

08-12-11 05:50 PM
    Go to n4bb.com

I guess you didn't see the big red banner that says "Rumor"?????
    08-12-11 05:51 PM
    Here is your breaking news:

"A new rumor is suggesting that AT&T will seek to disable the NFC capabilities of the BlackBerry Bold 9900. The necessary hardware is said to still be available. However, AT&T will supposedly have NFC blocked through the operating system.
    There’s no word as to why AT&T would want to break one of the top selling points for the 9900. This could be one of the reasons the Torch 9810 will release on the carrier first. Nonetheless, you should be able to get NFC to work properly by loading a leaked or official OS from another carrier. Time will tell whether this holds true or not."
    08-12-11 05:53 PM
    you know cb has a news and rumors section right jabronie?

I sure did, high speed - and this isn't the section.
    08-12-11 05:54 PM
    08-12-11 05:56 PM
    08-12-11 08:00 PM
    Something has to be delaying the release of this phone on this stupid network. It would make sense if true...
    08-12-11 08:06 PM
    If the big A is crappy,why do they have so many customers?

08-12-11 08:11 PM
    if at&t does this,they can kiss their customers goodbye.first they delay the device due to hardware unlike the rest of the carriers.and the flagship of rim is not going to be the bold.how on earth can you have an evof camera on your flagship?and no wifi hotspot.give a me break.im going to say it right now,for rim your flagship will be the torch 9860.but the iphone 5 is going to blow away anything rim has to offer.the i5 going to once again be the no 1 smartphone in 2011.
    08-12-11 08:46 PM
    Here is how you get around AT&T.

Block your "checking/savings/wallet/credit card" from AT&T!
    Last edited by johndoe086; 08-12-11 at 10:53 PM.
    08-12-11 10:51 PM
    Ok folks a couple of things.

1) The current field test units being tested at at&t have fully capable hardware but it is disabled in the SW. IMO this is short term only because the support systems on the switch side to make it work are not yet ready.

2) The 9860 also being tested at at&t is similarly capable on the hardware but is disabled in the SW.

3) Will other US carriers be supporting thison day one?, I don't believe anyone has announced they will and would be surprised if anyone did...

lastly stop with the notion that customers will leave in droves if this is disabled. There is not anywhere close to the demand for this feature that some of you think there is.

PG
    08-12-11 11:33 PM
    Everyone knows AT&T goes out of its way to screw their customers over, but blocking NFC when mobile payment systems are starting to take hold would actually be counter productive. I could see them adding an app that would allow charges to your AT&T bill or something like Verizon and AMEX's plans. But I don't see it being disabled unless they plan on shipping a different battery door that doesn't have the antenna.
    08-13-11 09:06 AM
    If the big A is crappy,why do they have so many customers?

If big A is so great, why do they need T-Mo to boost the customer headcount and upgrade their crappy network?
    08-13-11 09:17 AM
    Why are they wanting to block it though. WHY??
    08-13-11 09:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD