Considering that, what I have understood from many posts on this forum regarding at&t's 4G (which is more like 3G.1) and therefore not really 4G, when I arrive in Rome next week, if there is a 4G network available (at least H+) will this be recognized by my 9900 or will it just show 3G, or even limit the connection to 3G?

My first 9900 was an unlocked Telus that only showed H+ when connected to at&t and did not show 4G on the network.
    01-28-12 09:17 AM
    Your AT&T device will only ever show 4G when connected to a 3G network, just like your Telus one would only ever show H+.

3G is 3G wherever you are, only the North American carriers decided to market it as something it isn't.
    01-28-12 09:24 AM
    Phill is correct but to answer your underlying question your 9900 should pick up UMTS 2100 from TIM,H3G,Vodafone, and WIND.

AT&T

I'll leave it to my European friends here to enlighten as to who's is better as I don't know...

PG
    01-28-12 09:42 AM
    Most European networks are now HSPA+ so you won't notice much, if any difference to what you're currently getting with AT&T.
    phonegeek#AC likes this.
    01-28-12 09:47 AM
    When I arrive on Thursday I will see what each carrier displays and make a note here on what I experience.

Thanks!
    01-28-12 12:29 PM
    I have been in Rome for a week and I have no wifi access so I depend on my BlackBerry bridged to my PlayBook for all internet access. It has been great thus far.

Considering a previous thread regarding 7.1.0.205 (and other 7.1 updates) where the 2G option is no longer available, once roaming, then the manual switch appears under Mobile Network and i am offered these options:

vodafone IT 3G/4G
    vodafone IT 2G

I TIM 3G/4G
    I TIM 2G

Wind Telecom SpA 3G/4G
    Wind Telecom SpA 2G

Set to automatic, vodafone IT is predominant and has been consistent at 3G. A few times it has been at 4G and inside large buildings it has switched to EDGE.

I have tried Telecom and Wind, but I seem to get better coverage and better speed on the automatic setting.
    02-07-12 02:14 AM
    I use my bold 9900 on a 4G network [it shows as a 4G].
    I live in Israel, not sure about "real" Europe.
    02-07-12 03:31 AM
    In Rome and in Northern Italy it mostly showed 3G but every now and then would switch to 4G. Strangely, my data speed would drop to 24kbps and would take forever for web pages to open. I would reset and it would switch back to 3G and everything would be fine.

Last few days in Rome, vodafone just died and data would not move. Manually switched to Wind Telecom and everything was fine.
    02-15-12 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD