Hello all,
    I have seen variations on this issue addressed in parts elsewhere, but always with twists that don't seem to apply to my specific situation, which is:
    1. Currently using a Bold 9930 on Verizon, and Outlook 2007 on my desktop, connected via an Exchange Server.
    2. My company uses BES Express with the Exchange, but the box on which BESXpress resides is reaching the end of its lifespan, and throws off an increasing number of error messages. The IT person is spending more and more time on fixes.
    3. I am the last person in the company using a BB (most others are on iPhones), and the IT person has informed me that she can't justify all that work just for me, so has given me fair notice that something will have to change.
    4. I rely upon my calendar a great deal, and also use ToDoMatrix Professional for task management which does a great job of interfacing with my Outlook tasks. I have a Google account, but the Outlook calendar is my bread-and-butter.
    5. I am considering simply calling Verizon and going to BIS, but want it to be as seamless as possible. Should I use the latest version of BIS, or use a Google app and sync my calendar that way?
    6. Finally, I bought a 32gb Playbook while on sale in anticipation of some news from DevCon about OS 2.0, but in the absence of anything promising there I am seriously considering returning it and looking at one of the Android tablets, especially if I am going to be syncing everything through the Google app.

Any advice? Thank you for any help you can provide!
    10-20-11 01:59 PM
    Since your company is able to support other phones with Calendar, I'm assuming that those phones are using EAS. EAS is available natively for all other smartphones (WebOS, iOS, Android, even symbian) but not BBOS.

Without BES, you would have to pay every year a license cost to have EAS support using NotifySync or Astrasync. Both of these are rental programs that require you to disable security features that protect you on your phone. If you want real sync, without middleware and the price is OK for you, and you don't care about the content protection, this is the option.

Personally, I don't rent software, not even Windows. So I used Astrasync once to get all current Calendar entries. I closed the app and removed it from my phone. Then I changed my work password and setup a BIS account to login to my work email. Meeting invites and updates from Exchange 2007 come to my inbox and are tentatively accepted and updated by the BB correctly. If I need to respond to or decline a meeting invite, I use OWA.

There are some that sync to their desktop with Outlook running, but that requires that desktop to be on in the first place, which limits OTA to the BB. Perhaps there are some good examples of this use that others have had. For example, can the IT give you a dedicated PC or Virtual Machine with Outlook running and always on, then have the Google Sync plugin installed on the Desktop and then you would google sync on the BB? Thus, that Desktop becomes a middle man.
    Last edited by melander; 10-20-11 at 02:43 PM.
    currentuser likes this.
    10-20-11 02:27 PM
    Thanks, melander. Yes, our company is using Exchange Active Sync (I think that's what EAS stands for). As I'm not trained in IT, I have a few other questions:
    What is OWA?
    What is excluded from BIS 2 (i.e., what will BIS 2 NOT sync)?

I have my desktop on and running Outlook almost all the time already, so using Desktop Manager is a possibility, but I am away from my desk most of the time, so it would be less than ideal.

Thank you again for your help.
    10-20-11 02:50 PM
    Thanks, melander. Yes, our company is using Exchange Active Sync (I think that's what EAS stands for). As I'm not trained in IT, I have a few other questions:
    What is OWA?
    What is excluded from BIS 2 (i.e., what will BIS 2 NOT sync)?

I have my desktop on and running Outlook almost all the time already, so using Desktop Manager is a possibility, but I am away from my desk most of the time, so it would be less than ideal.

Thank you again for your help.

Yes, EAS Exchange Active Sync allows Synching Mail, Contacts and Calendar from the Exhange server directly to the phone. All the other kids are doing it.

OWA is Outlook Web Access which is just a webmail version of your Inbox Contacts and Calendar. If you are licensed for it, you can have a feature rich, almost Outlook like experience if you have IE or a stripped down experience on other browsers. There is a webserver that runs in front of Exchange to enable this and in many environments, the EAS url that you supply the phone is the same as the OWA url.

BIS cannot sync Calendar, Contacts, or Tasks on Exchange without a third party tool. Exchange email can be downloaded via
    - Logicmail if secure IMAP or POP is enabled
    - Those third pary apps via secure IMAP or POP or OWA url
    - BIS store/forward via secure IMAP POP or OWA url

Note that Logicmail and the third party apps work a little better with regard to email sync since they are accessing IMAP or OWA directly and you don't have to wait for a reconciliation back to the RIM store/forward servers (sometimes referred to as RIM NOC, but NOC generically refers to any large IT organization's Network Operations Center)

Note, that even though BIS can download mail through the OWA/EAS url, it will not do
    Calendar or Contacts, which seems strange but not really since older versions of Exchange supplied Calendar via an IMAP folder but this was removed in 2007.

BIS can sync Google Contacts and Calendar through Google Sync phone app,
    or BIS can sync Google Calendar through a BIS account.
    Last edited by melander; 10-20-11 at 03:49 PM.
    currentuser likes this.
    10-20-11 03:47 PM
    Ok, I think I get it. I really appreciate your time and information.

I'll have to chat again with our IT person to see what she's recommending. I really like the simplicity of much of the BB system (especially keyboard shortcuts), but without the BES it may be a draw in terms of time saved...

Thanks again!
    10-20-11 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD