Good Afternoon,

I currently have an iPhone 4S on Verizon, and want to purchase a BlackBerry Bold 9930.

My question is whether or not it would be possible to switch between the iPhone and BlackBerry at will by swapping the sim card.

I miss my previous BlackBerry, and the Bold looks like a great product.

Thank you!

Justin
    02-06-12 04:12 PM
    Yes, You can simply swap you simcard between the two devices. BlackBerry does have a specific plan vs iPhone etc so I would suggest the first time to call your carrier and confirm there are no issues.
    Two amazing phones you have, Enjoy
    02-06-12 04:17 PM
    Hold on, is this US or Canada? If you're in North America on VZW, you're most likely on a CDMA network which is hardcoded to the phone, not on a SIM. If you're using a SIM for global purposes on GSM, that's another story.

I'd inquire about that first before trying to switch back and forth, because you have different steps for each.
    02-06-12 04:20 PM
    Hi.

Yes, I am in the United States on Verizon Wireless. It is the latest iPhone 4S.

J.
    02-06-12 04:23 PM
    Hi.

Yes, I am in the United States on Verizon Wireless. It is the latest iPhone 4S.

J.
    You won't really be able to swap at will. The devices don't have a SIM for CDMA use, and AFAIK each requires a different data plan on VZW so you'd have to change it from one to the other.
    02-06-12 04:27 PM
    Even if it was GSM I believe the iPhone uses a micro SIM
    02-06-12 04:30 PM
    I didn't know you could plug anything into the iphone at all. I thought it was like in the Wizard of Oz...with the curtain and all....
    02-06-12 04:31 PM
    I have a 9930 and ip4 and you can change at will by calling verizon. They do it for free with no problem, but they claim that that's the way the system is and they can't change it.
    02-06-12 04:35 PM
    Cool! Good to know that I can change it anytime by calling them!

Thanks!
    02-06-12 05:11 PM
    You can do it right on the website when you log into your account. I think you can only change once every 24 hours or something like that. It's not completely unrestricted, so it's not quite as easy as it would be on gsm with swapping the sim. Just be careful. As someone mentions above, vzw has bb specific data plans and if you're on unlimited data, someone will eventually make a mistake and take that away from you.
    02-06-12 05:19 PM
    You can use a micro sim in a 9900. Using one now
    02-06-12 05:26 PM
    The card can be resized with a cutter or a seizer and restored at the original state with the adaptor. As long he has a BB unlimited plus web apn with data would be fine with a gsm device
    Last edited by albertinik; 02-06-12 at 06:01 PM.
    02-06-12 05:55 PM
    I am on O2 here in the uk.
    Today I called up O2 and said I wanted to swop my current idata package to the BlackBerry and they as normal said it will take change around the 2am so I have in front of my my super sexy 9900 all charged up. I have now turned off my wifi on my current iPhone 4s and it is on 3G, basically when I can no longer get emails and it gives me a an error message on the iPhone saying I am not subscribed to a data cellular package then YAAAA HAAAAA, it is time them to pop the micro sim out of the iPhone and insert it into a micro sim cat adaptor into the 9900. I went into my local O2 store today and picked up a couple of micro sim adpators for free.
    I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET A HARD TIME FROM MY MATES SAYING WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE BUT I JUST LOVE THE BB SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!
    And there is NO restrictions on how many times you change your data package from idata to BB.....
    02-06-12 06:26 PM
    I am on O2 here in the uk.
    Today I called up O2 and said I wanted to swop my current idata package to the BlackBerry and they as normal said it will take change around the 2am so I have in front of my my super sexy 9900 all charged up. I have now turned off my wifi on my current iPhone 4s and it is on 3G, basically when I can no longer get emails and it gives me a an error message on the iPhone saying I am not subscribed to a data cellular package then YAAAA HAAAAA, it is time them to pop the micro sim out of the iPhone and insert it into a micro sim cat adaptor into the 9900. I went into my local O2 store today and picked up a couple of micro sim adpators for free.
    I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET A HARD TIME FROM MY MATES SAYING WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU DONE BUT I JUST LOVE THE BB SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!!!
    And there is NO restrictions on how many times you change your data package from idata to BB.....
    Is not exacly Idata to BB but vice versa only. To fully use a BB you need BIS or BES as he is platform connected That is also what make a BB different compared to others including iToys
    02-06-12 06:51 PM
    Not sure if the question was answered already, but I'm on Verizon and would like to put in my 2 cents if you guys don't mind.

You can't switch via SIM card, and the SIM card in the 4S and 9930 aren't really used on the VZW network unless you go out of the country.

I know to activate a device you just dial *611 if I'm not mistaken. So, when you want to use the iPhone, but you have the 9930 active you can just call *611 on the iPhone and if you put in your number it should switch activation from the 9930 for the iPhone and vice-versa.
    02-06-12 07:05 PM
    cool! thank you for all your answers!!

it's great to know you can switch back and forth at will without swapping any sim cards!

much easier than i thought!!
    02-06-12 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD