The only advantage to the other smart-phones is that, if an app is developed, it is almost developed for android/iPhone first. This is a huge advantage.

Other than that, though, I'm finding it hard to love my android.

A key issue with the slab phone (even with the slider keyboard) is that these phones force you to look...almost continuously... at the phone to get through basic functions.

I have become quite good at negotiating the android OS.

I have discovered one thing with confidence: There is no darn way that the android is as efficient in getting things done as the BB.

The apps provide lots of entertainment, but for all-things-communication and work, I can not find a way to make the android format function as quickly and efficiently as the BB (and I'm comparing it to a BB 9650).

I've been on the android for 3 months now. After handling a co-worker's 9930, I found myself seriously reconsidering my move away from BB.

I suppose I'll stick with android until the next-gen qwerty BB hits the market, but I only hope that BB does not go the way of Palm.

I'll need to be convinced that RIM is going to stick around.
    Chrisy and mssca like this.
    03-06-12 07:48 PM
    Come back to BB... there is no other way.
    03-06-12 07:57 PM
    Not like the platform is going to disappear within a year or two so not sure why it would really matter...
    03-06-12 08:04 PM
    RIM is still making money. Every bit of media wants to convince you otherwise. They are in Serious trouble but not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

I actually came from android back to blackberry. Your right Android is nowhere near as efficient as BlackBerry and that is why I switched back. I took a look at a friends new Droid Razr today and man that is one awesome and fast phone, but I knew if I had it, once the coolness wore off I would have a phone that at the end of the day does not get the job done as well.

I am soo happy with my 9930, however I can't wait for a bold style BB10 phone to come out. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Zetti; 03-06-12 at 09:16 PM.
    03-06-12 08:05 PM
    i've used 2 blackberry before i went to android flagship phone, galaxy s2. i learn to play around, rooting it, and installing custom roms on it such as ice cream sandwich. however at the end of the day.. i miss the keyboard and the led light. i miss the great interface it has for a phone, so that is why i went back to blackberry just a month ago.

the bold 9900, made me feel much better going back. touch screen and keyboard wow. and i hardly use the trackpad. sure i miss the apps. but i have an ipod touch so its alright. a phone is a phone not a toy.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 08:06 PM
    Depends on the user. I find BB functionality and efficiency sorely lacking, but readily admit that I tend to rely on my device significantly more than the average person, so my needs are a bit unique.

That's why choice is so good. It is great that we can choose from so many platform options.
    03-06-12 08:08 PM
    What's the plus points of android compared to bb ??

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Device
    03-06-12 08:14 PM
    Thanks for the post. This helped a bit because I am considering moving to Android giving up on BBs. The only reason behind this is that a lot of companies simply drop support Blackberry apps or don't have an app at all.

We are in 2012 and I find my Bold 9900 is from stone age. But thanks for the info, this may even change my mind.
    03-06-12 08:25 PM

Apps... some people here may say that well, the phone is not for game. Fine, but how about phone is for emergencies like look at bus arrival time in -30 C Canadian a-s-s freezing weather? My Bold 9900 on BIS take million years to load a simple transit web site while my friends with Androids and iPhone can just pull out an app and check for the bus arrival time while waiting inside a warm train station house! (We can just get out and walk to the bus stop from the station house in five min before the bus get there) But not with my stupid dumb Bold 9900 on stone age slow BIS. I have to freeze my outside because I cannot check the bus arrival time.
    03-06-12 08:27 PM
    Apps... some people here may say that well, the phone is not for game. Fine, but how about phone is for emergencies like look at bus arrival time in -30 C Canadian a-s-s freezing weather? My Bold 9900 on BIS take million years to load a simple transit web site while my friends with Androids and iPhone can just pull out an app and check for the bus arrival time while waiting inside a warm train station house! (We can just get out and walk to the bus stop from the station house in five min before the bus get there) But not with my stupid dumb Bold 9900 on stone age slow BIS. I have to freeze my outside because I cannot check the bus arrival time.
    Maybe you should check 5 minutes earlier than you do. But get your drift. Kind of reminds me of people that run into work every day because they are running late. Always wonder why they don't/can't leave 5 minutes earlier.
    03-06-12 08:46 PM

I think that it depends on needs. I got along fine on BlackBerry for quite some time, and had the apps that I needed. But, as my job functions evolved, so did my needs.

My biggest need was to have a converged device. I hate carrying more than one device, and BB opened the door to convergence for me, and I haven't looked back

The ecosystem is what makes Android compelling, IMHO. Apps are great. they give me functionality that some people just won't understand (and frankly, don't need to). They extend the range of my device, and let me carry a true handheld computer.

The hardware is great. The upgradeability is priceless. For the first time in my smartphone-owning life, I have no urge to upgrade hardware, because I feel my device is still current, and the OS is user-serviceable.

Lastly, user support is, bar none, the best in tech. I feel there is no problem I cannnot troubleshoot. XDA is a goldmine of technical information.

I could go on and on, but my point is that depending on the user, a platform is only as useful as one needs it to be.
    03-06-12 09:05 PM
    I don't know of which app would be the best to check the transit but maybe there is a better way then how you are currently doing it. All in all no matter which phone you go to your going to have to give something up. It just depends on what you consider to be the most important. I've said this many times if you want a phone that is the best at communication then Blackberry is it. If you think other things such as apps are more important than android or ios are a better choice. From my experience with android I had tons and tons of apps, a lot that bb does not have. There was only 1 I actually missed.
    03-06-12 09:25 PM

I get what you mean... Its a mission to do easy stuff which is considered a joke on iphone/android. Idroid customers are surprised that a phone in the year 2012 can't do the basics..

03-06-12 09:26 PM
    I think that it depends on needs. I got along fine on BlackBerry for quite some time, and had the apps that I needed. But, as my job functions evolved, so did my needs.

My biggest need was to have a converged device. I hate carrying more than one device, and BB opened the door to convergence for me, and I haven't looked back

The ecosystem is what makes Android compelling, IMHO. Apps are great. they give me functionality that some people just won't understand (and frankly, don't need to). They extend the range of my device, and let me carry a true handheld computer.

The hardware is great. The upgradeability is priceless. For the first time in my smartphone-owning life, I have no urge to upgrade hardware, because I feel my device is still current, and the OS is user-serviceable.

Lastly, user support is, bar none, the best in tech. I feel there is no problem I cannnot troubleshoot. XDA is a goldmine of technical information.

I could go on and on, but my point is that depending on the user, a platform is only as useful as one needs it to be.

Fair enough.. But the thing is now doesn't everyone want to have a device capable of let's says gaming... When your on the train or just need to kill time even if you don't always use it... Its not so much we need it but now its considered a standard in idroid but bb still lacks it..

03-06-12 09:30 PM
    Fair enough.. But the thing is now doesn't everyone want to have a device capable of let's says gaming... When your on the train or just need to kill time even if you don't always use it... Its not so much we need it but now its considered a standard in idroid but bb still lacks it..

I don't disagree. Time killers are useful... don't care what anyone says.
    03-06-12 09:40 PM
    90% of what I do on the phone is communicate: text, talk, email

For that, I can't imagine a system better than BB.

Creating/changing a calendar entry is much quicker on a BB, too. The extra time it takes to fiddle with the usual smartphone calendar is embarrassing at times when everyone is in a rush while I'm trying to negotiate the phone system.

I have given my Android Stratosphere (with physical keyboard) three months to prove itself. It is ok. It can work.

The problem with most of the non-BB options is that they require your complete visual focus to operate the things. You have to literally stare at the device to find the icons and then the screen buttons etc. With blackberry, you can pop right into the calendar, notes, email, calculator, text with only a quick glance.

The BB's seem far more durable, too. I have to treat my phone like a Faberge Egg...being exceedingly careful with it. I have noticed that all slab phone users practice such care. The BB is far more tossable. This is huge, too. When I work, the last thing I want to do is tap dance for the sake of fragile phone.

Now, I have not kept up with the state of blackberry apps. I do use my android as a mini-laptop. I did the same thing with my 9650, but I suspect that the android office apps (QuickOffice) and its integration with Dropbox is better.

Also, if your bank develops a phone app, it most certainly will develop one for the android and iPhone.... and even if it makes a BB app, it might have fewer features. This is true of probably every app situation: android/iPhone first... then maybe... maybe BB.

Granted, I only require and use a few apps.

My phone is bloated with apps, but I probably use 7 of them at the most... YouTube, DropBox, QuickOffice, a note taking app (AKnotes)... and then the usual phone apps (email, calendar, etc.).

In handling my co-workers 9930, it was wonderful! Returning to my android, I felt like I was dealing with a slow, tedious anchor.

Probably the biggest revelation was the fact that you have to practically stare at the android in order to do basic stuff. I'm surprised that I don't hear discussing this problem. With the blackberry, I could call all of my frequent people... and put them on speaker phone.... with even looking at the phone. Amazing.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-07-12 05:28 AM
    I find that very hard to believe, can you please post a link to the website in question so we can try it on our 9900s?

Also may I suggest a bookmark in your browser directly to where you need to check your bus time and/or just leave a tab open and hit R to refresh(faster then opening the page again)
    03-07-12 06:06 AM
    I did too. I came back...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-660650/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/marketp...9650-a-664991/

I do miss some things from Android. I loved the visual calendar widgets. I could view event text in month view. Also, images in email were automatically downloaded.

I do feel my BlackBerry is more reliable, better voice quality, better notification system, better battery life, easier keyboard to use.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 03-07-12 at 06:34 AM.
    03-07-12 06:25 AM
    Get a PlayBook instead of going Android.
    03-07-12 06:30 AM
    I had a few android phones about a year ago, they are a lot of fun, but when it comes to doing actual work BB rules! I had a Motorola Cliq and got so frustrated trying to answer a call I ended up literally smashing it. It had a keyboard but no physical send/end keys. Very frustrating. I am looking forward to BB10, but they better have a keyboard model. Love my 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah and I have a PlayBook too!
    03-07-12 06:33 AM
    I tried a Droid and an iPhone 4. For people who use their phones as phones, or rather communication devices, and organizers, nothing beats a blackberry. I gave my daughter my iPhone 4 and went to the 9930. I should never have left. Yes the iPhone was fun and kept me entertained. But the BB just works and works hard.

I did get a Samsung Player Android tablet with a 5" screen. I tried two 10" tablets - a Samsung 10.1 and a Lenovo IdeaPad - but you may as well carry a small laptop. The Player is under $250, runs Android, and does everything a big tab does. I use it to watch Netflix and play games, and read Kindle books. Although now I can do that on my Playbook! It also makes a great GPS with Navigon loaded (beats the heck out of a Garmin of any kind, or any Magellan), plus all my engineering apps. It fits my jeans pocket perfectly and plays nice with the pther stuff that lives there. Highly recommended. I also have a iPad 2 which is cool but it rarely leaves the house. The phone and Player are with my 24/7.
    03-07-12 06:33 AM
    90% of what I do on the phone is communicate: text, talk, email

For that, I can't imagine a system better than BB.
    Exactly, I couldn't have put it better myself!

I bought a SGS2 at the beginning of January this year, here we are in March and I have already switched back to my Bold 9900. Android in my opinion is more style over substance. It confirmed my belief that typing on a touch screen is a PITA. Email never worked properly and emails I deleted kept on re-appearing?!?! Even voice calls sound so much better and clearer on a BB.

I wont stray again
    03-07-12 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD