I currently have a 32GB iPhone 3GS with Telus in Canada and wanting something else. I've had it for a good year and a half and BBM seems really appetizing (I am a teenager after all!) I did use a Desire Z for around 2 weeks and there were too many issues to deal with (battery life, GPS) to make it worthwhile, so Android is kinda out of the question. I also use a Mac at home and have an iPad 2 if that changes your opinion.

Couple questions though. How good is BBM? Is it really worth the switch? Also, is there any general problems with BlackBerry's that really grind your gears? Are BlackBerry's reliable comparing to the iPhone? Can you use Google Sync for contacts, calendar and gmail with the BB?

Budget isn't really an issue because I would be upgrading on a 3 year with telus' anytime upgrade program where I pay $15 a month that I have left in my contract and I get promotional 3 yr contract pricing. For me right now this equals ~$240. I also have had a job for the past 3 years so it's not like I'm wasting my higher education tuition on a phone.

I would probably be getting a 9900, for those who own the device already (lucky bastards!), how is the battery life and the device overall? Does the 9900 bring back some of the hatred of RIM's past touchscreen devices (Torch & Storm) or is it actually usable without lag?

I know I already posted this, but I just would like to see some fresh thoughts to this device change because I would be renewing a 3 year contract and I don't want to make any mistakes.
    08-15-11 02:00 PM
    Obviously a huge difference between the two devices you mention. It really depends on your needs. If you are looking for lots of multimedia and gaming options the 9900 problem will not be your choice.

On the other hand if you do plenty of emailing, texting, facebook, and twitter type interactions then the 9900 is the best device in my opinion.

The BBM is exclusive to BlackBerry therefore to get the most use out of it your friends would need to be using a BlackBerry as well.

When it comes to apps there is no way that App World can compete with Apples Market. So you should go to BlackBerry App World to see if the apps important to you are available.

I've used probably every OS platform on the market and each has its strengths. Like Apple, RIM controls everything about its BlackBerry smartphone so the quality is awesome.

I hope this helps you some.

I forgot to note that BlackBerry does have desktop software for MAC and if you use iTunes you can import your playlists to the 9900. But naturally a iPhone is going to have better integration with your other Apple products.
    Last edited by 1of2000; 08-15-11 at 08:11 PM.
    08-15-11 08:06 PM
    If you like the larger screen of an iPhone and the onscreen keyboard then you should probably look at the Torch 9850/9860. That will be the closest match for you hardware wise. BBM is great is you have contacts to use it with. Email is superior and Blackberry is just as stable as IOS. The advantage is your can't Bridge an iPhone to an iPad but you can Bridge a Torch to a Playbook.
    08-15-11 08:15 PM
    iMessage is coming integrated with iOS 5 this fall so BBM won't be as big a selling-point in a few months. As it stands now, there's also a good chance there will be a new iPhone here soon. I'd either go with the new iPhone in the coming months - hopefully - or wait for QNX. Although the 9900 looks really great, this is just my opinion.
    08-15-11 08:25 PM
    Obviously a huge difference between the two devices you mention. It really depends on your needs. If you are looking for lots of multimedia and gaming options the 9900 problem will not be your choice.

On the other hand if you do plenty of emailing, texting, facebook, and twitter type interactions then the 9900 is the best device in my opinion.

The BBM is exclusive to BlackBerry therefore to get the most use out of it your friends would need to be using a BlackBerry as well.

When it comes to apps there is no way that App World can compete with Apples Market. So you should go to it to see if the apps important to you are available.

I've used probably every OS platform on the market and each has its strengths. Like Apple, RIM controls everything about its BlackBerry smartphone so the quality is awesome.

I hope this helps you some.

I forgot to note that BlackBerry does have desktop software for MAC and if you use iTunes you can import your playlists to the 9900. But naturally a iPhone is going to have better integration with your other Apple products.
    The majority of my friends and the majority of the people that go to my high school have blackberry's and use BBM. It's probably a 75/15/5/5 split of blackberry/iPhone/android/dumbphone. Ive used android so I know that it isnt as easy to sync my media and info to my phone, but I used double twist so it was more to how I was used to it. Someone else was posting saying that I should get the 9850/60, the reason I would want to get the bold would be the keyboard and the form factor of the traditional blackberry. To me there wouldn't be any incentive to go to a blackberry without a keyboard from an iPhone except upgraded hardware and BBM. One of the major things that I missed from the desire z that I had back in January was the physical qwerty and the 9900 should be better or at least compare to it. I've. Used the keyboard on a friend's 9700 and my dad's 9300 and they are both quite good' except that the 9700 was a bit better because of the mushiness of it comparing to the curve. I've heard from reviews and others on blogs that the 9900 is the best keyboard on the market and I'll have to try it out before make any promises or signing any contracts for it. By the way I'm typing this from my ipad so I'm sorry if there is any spelling or grammar mistakes.
    08-17-11 02:28 PM
    I was running iOS 5 beta on my iphone and iMessage does not compare to bbm.
    08-17-11 04:02 PM
    I've got a 3GS too. Went to play with a 9900 today (in the UK).

OS7 is really good - my wife's got a 9800 (OS6) and I could instantly see the difference. The speed was also much better.

However, the BIG thing that put me off the 9900 was the small screen. Touch-wise it was very good (not sure if it's iphone-good, but good nevertheless), but too small for me.

The 9860 isn't an option as the full-touch experience the iphone-a-likes offer is just frustrating now.

So, I'll be hanging on until the 9810 comes out - best of both worlds (and a auto-focus camera )

Dan
    08-18-11 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD