How about feedback from those who have really used (not tried) BOTH Keyboard-Buttons and Touchscreens? If that's you, which do you prefer? Why? Anything you miss once you went to your favorite?
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 08-18-11 at 11:17 AM.
    08-17-11 11:06 PM
    fyi-this survey posted in Bold, Storm & Torch forums to get fuller cross section of responses.
    08-17-11 11:15 PM
    I had storm 1 and 2 and 9650. The 9930 is awesome. Keyboard bigger than 9650 which I thought was to small. Response time on the touch screen of the 9930 is far superior than either storm.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    08-17-11 11:17 PM
    I use a torch, and I like having both the touch and the keyboard. I found that the 9700 was a great device but since I came from android, I had a instictive need to tap the screen. Being that bb's are known for their keyboards, the torch was a logical move for me. The only thing I will say is that the torch keyboard sucks compared to the 9700 and the new 9900. If I were ever going to move away from bb, I'd need a device with both keyboard and touch - they are like pb and jelly - fine independently, great together.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    glassofpinot likes this.
    08-17-11 11:20 PM
    Have owned many bb's and full touchscreen, DROID incredible, iphone4 and thunderbolt. Know what im using now? DROID pro, same form factor as the 9930. Its the perfect combination. Not sure I could ever go to a non-touch screen device or a full touchscreen now, so I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 9930. I miss the shortcuts and single inbox.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    glassofpinot likes this.
    08-17-11 11:21 PM
    I've used so many phones out there and what I love about my blackberry keyboard is the shortcuts and autotext. If other OS's had this, it would make a world of difference for them. That's why I couldn't get use to my iPhones and Andoids, even though they each had positives about their platform. Last touchsreen I had was the SE Arc, and I couldn't get use to typing long emails. Keyboard for me, you don't even have to look at the screen to type and the speed dial with each key it a life saver.

08-17-11 11:38 PM
    I had been using my Droid Inc for the past 14 months or so and I have not had good experiences with the keyboard. I would always misspell things and have trouble typing. Before that I had the BB Pearl Flip and I loved the keyboard on it. I could typeso fast and accurate, it was fantastic. Now I have the 9930 and although I can't compare to other full qwerty keyboards I can tell you that it is a joy to use and I actually look forward to sending messages now because its just that great. Before I purchased it I was worried that I wouldn't be able to type efficiently from the start because I hadn't ever used one but it was so easy to use and just start typing. I just typed this whole thing with my 9930 lol

08-17-11 11:57 PM
    Have owned many bb's and full touchscreen, DROID incredible, iphone4 and thunderbolt. Know what im using now? DROID pro, same form factor as the 9930. Its the perfect combination. Not sure I could ever go to a non-touch screen device or a full touchscreen now, so I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 9930. I miss the shortcuts and single inbox.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    If your using an android phone and want the combined mailbox use K9 mail.
    It has the option for combined email and is supposed to be very good.

Im a blackberry loyalist at the moment so im gana hushup about android
    08-18-11 12:20 AM
    I came fron the droid incredible 2 and the keyboard is very nice on the 9930 and I am impressed with what BB did I am leaning towards the droids keyboard. A true BB lover will love this phone but I am not seeing too many advantages with this device over my droid.

08-18-11 12:23 AM
    Torch is my first ever Blackberry. I love having both touchscreen And keyboard. When I was about to sell my Blackjack II to a friend, I was trying to access the pictures section and immediately without thinking I tapped on the screen. What a Woooorld of Difference. So glad I have the best of both worlds!
    08-18-11 01:17 AM
    Combo Keyb+Touch=5, Keyboard=1, Touch=0
    Lots of good feedback specifics from this group - thanks.
    08-18-11 01:24 AM
    Both,the touchscreen & BB Keyboard are a nice combo. Having come from using touch & Keyboard separately I'll take this form factor.
    08-18-11 01:44 AM
    I had a Storm2 and loved the screen, until the thing became so slow it was unusable. I then moved to the Bold 9650. Loved the keyboard, but hated the small screen.

The 9930 is the perfect device for me right now. Screen is a big enough difference from the 9650 that I actually enjoy using it to browse and the such (I'm on Verizon so I can't get a Torch 9800/9810 and don't really like the bulk of the slider anyways).

BUT, I do also have an iPod Touch 4th gen and an iPad. So I have experience in the touch screen world other than the surepress Storm and Storm2. I love my iOS devices, but I definitely type much faster on my Bold than I do on the iPods screen, and I make less mistakes with the Bold.

Its always good to have the 'best of both worlds' though when it comes to the devices. Having an iPod Touch makes it easy to fulfill my app/game desire and the iPad is my tablet of choice. And the BB is great for on the go stuff, email/txting/bbm/facebook etc is all AMAZING on the BB, and now with the 9930, browsing isn't bad either!
    08-18-11 02:39 AM
    If your using an android phone and want the combined mailbox use K9 mail.
    It has the option for combined email and is supposed to be very good.

Im a blackberry loyalist at the moment so im gana hushup about android
    Nah, I'm most likely coming back to BB in a few weeks. Too many other things I didn't mention about BB that I miss. I was very heavy into rooting and custom roms and it felt like half the time I was on the device I was customizing. I'm at the point where I just don't feel like doing that any longer and I really don't use that many apps and the advantages of a BB for my day to day are making it hard to keep using Android.
    08-18-11 06:50 AM
    Over the past 6 months, I've been using a Samsung Fascinate. While there are a few convenient apps on the Android platform. I hated typing on a touchscreen. NON stop typos. I'm really happy to be back to the physical keyboard. I banged out my first email from my phone yesterday. Something I have not done nor ever wanted to do on a touch screen phone.
    08-18-11 08:40 AM
    I dont mind either as long as a touch screen is a touch screen and a qwerty is a qwerty. By this i mean, i dont like sliders with also a virtual keyboard like the torch, epic 4G, moto droid, etc.
    08-18-11 09:10 AM
    Had a Storm1 for 18 months, and really enjoyed it. Can't really say I had man if any issues with it. I played and did the hybrid os thing too.
    I swapped it for a 9700 due to the click in the storm not working anymore (it had been dropped before and I knew it would end up failing).
    9700 was great, and i knew I couldn't go without a keyboard after that.

Now I have a 9900 and its freakin amazing
    08-18-11 09:52 AM
    I have used lots of phones with and with out keyboards, everything from the Palm phones, to the G1, to the likes of the Dell Streak 5 and Windows Phone slates. I can say easily that I MUCH prefer hardware keyboards to soft ones, but not just any, I prefer the portrait QWERTY form factor over the landscape sliders.

In fact, the only on screen keyboard I have found to be usable at all is the new Windows Phone 7 keyboard, but it just does not compare to a REAL keyboard.
    08-18-11 10:33 AM
    I have used plenty of both, but have found I am definitely more productive and faster on a phone with a physical keyboard, and now that the 9900/9930 has a touchscreen too, that is the best phone in terms of getting things done quickly in the fewest possible steps.
    08-18-11 10:46 AM
    Combo Keyb+Touch=9, Keyboard=2, Touch=0
    More good feedback specifics from this group - thanks. Preference so far is definitely for the combo form.
    You are an especially capable group - more able to move between and get the best from different form factors than others. Hope you find your thing with the new Bold 99xx.
    08-18-11 11:22 PM
    I'm a keyboard fanboi. I have an iTouch and have had a couple android tablets, and you just can't beat a physical keyboard imo.
    08-18-11 11:40 PM
    I"ve ownded an iphone 2g and 3g also a torch. Nothing comes close to my new 9900 . Touch screen devices make me dreed tying messages.

08-18-11 11:44 PM
    I originally bought the Torch cause I thought it'd be the best of both worlds...big touch screen and hardware keyboard. But I soon found the slider form factor inefficient and slightly awkward when it was open. I just like being able to pick up a phone and just go.

The 9900 hardware as it is now is near perfect for me. Maybe if the screen was just a tad larger (if they got rid of the BlackBerry logo under the earpiece and just brought the screen to there), it would be perfect.
    08-18-11 11:47 PM
    Ive had: Google G2, BB Tour, BB Bold 9650, BB Storm, Samsung Fascinate and now the BB 9930.

I much prefer a phone with a physical qwerty. I think thats why I keep coming back to BB lol.
    08-19-11 01:51 AM
    Having a touchscreen and a QWERTY actually somewhat gives me flashbacks of the days when I used a Palm 700WX Windows mobile phone. The touchscreen is better, yet the small screen size makes me fat finger some of the smaller icons and selection boxes. A stylus was sorta handy in that sense. I have noticed that my finger tends to slide off the trackpad from time to time and registers touches on the screen. I guess I just have to adjust how far I slide up on the trackpad.
    08-19-11 04:02 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD