One of the best features on BlackBerry is BBM which I'd like to use more often, but honestly I never use it. Not because I don't want to but becuase I have NO friends on it haha! Yeah sucks, but oh well. Do you guys use BBM a lot?
    02-16-12 02:05 PM
    well don't you have irl friends who use a berry? i use BBM everyday, but i'm too busy to to chat lol!
    you can always hit the up the pin sharing forum for contacts.

http://forums.crackberry.com/social-...e-sharing-f51/
    02-16-12 02:09 PM
    I've lost a lot of friends...

My BBM is down to a few. I'm. Trying to convince friends and family to switch to BlackBerry.
    02-16-12 02:11 PM
    Most of my friends and family have converted to the iphone and android Team :/ but its ok, don't blame them. As for me, Team BlackBerry all day every day.
    02-16-12 02:28 PM
    You can also add all of your regular text message contacts to BBM. I do that and only use BBM for texting - regardless of what phone my contacts have.
    wolfee48 and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-16-12 02:35 PM
    I use BBM more than I use actual SMS Text messages.
    02-16-12 03:18 PM
    i am a BB owner who has never BBM'd. is it not just texting via BB servers? i mean, what features is there over texting?
    02-16-12 03:34 PM
    What I'm not seeing is the appeal of BBM, is it a speed thing?
    If its just a "social" tool for finding new "friends"what's wrong with actually meeting people?
    I am genuinely curious folks, enlighten me.
    02-16-12 03:35 PM
    For one BBM uses data, not text. I don't have a text plan so that's must for me.

You can send file via BBM-pictures, calendar events, location, voice notes etc.

D and R for Delivered and Read are not available using SMS only.

BBM is included in data plans, and that includes international BBMs.

I don't use it as a social network. I only have people I know irl on mine. One from CrackBerry. I wish more of my family used BlackBerry Devices.

BBM seems faster than SMS too.
    02-16-12 03:37 PM
    I have one steady contact and 2 very occasional. Not too many of us out there. But it is not the quantity that matters, it is the quality.
    02-16-12 03:39 PM
    I only had six at the most. Butim down to two.
    02-16-12 03:40 PM
    i am a BB owner who has never BBM'd. is it not just texting via BB servers? i mean, what features is there over texting?
    On BBM there is no character limit to your messages. On a text message, each message is limited to 160 characters before it breaks it off into multiple messages. On BBM you could pound out a 1000 character message if you wanted and send it without problem. You can also transfer a file up to 6mb (maybe as large as 8? I can't remember) over BBM. You can initiate multi-person chats within BBM. You can also setup BBM Groups. For example, I setup a group with some co-workers where you get a group calendar, a group chat board, group picture gallery, etc. We use this all the time to communicate and has proven a fairly indispensable feature we use almost daily.

BBM is also no additional charge when used overseas. If you are in the US, and send a message to someone in Africa, there would be no international charge for that message like there would be if you sent a SMS message to someone in a different country.

BBM is also great for folks who don't have a text messaging plan. The coworkers that I have in my BBM group have SMS blocked by our corporate office. BBM allows us to quickly communicate while they are out in the field without having to take the time to make a phone call. I have another friend who simply does not text, but I can connect with him on BBM, which has been really helpful.

I don't use it as a social platform either, simply as another communications medium with people I know.
    02-16-12 03:42 PM
    Great points. I had a different phone and I decided to come back to BB. I love my BB but we are now in a minority so BBM is not that common at all. However, I have added eleven BBM Contacts and half of them now use BBM Music, which is pretty cool because I can listen to quite a bit of music.

When I look at all the positives and negatives BB is still the one for me by far. So, I always tell people that are considering a new device to take a look at BB. Eight of them have picked up BB's since OS7. I even set-up up a BBM Tips, I broadcast every week or so. Since they are all new to BB they love it.

I invite you all to show your OS7 BB to others. I have two more friends that are just waiting for their contracts to expire to get Torch 9810s.

I have enjoyed watching my BBM list grow, even though I pretty much built it myself. I can relax knowing these people have a great device that is secure, real time for all e-mail and yes a great BBM experience.

Here is to RIM having a great 2012! They are actually having a great time overseas already so hopefully people in the U.S. will take a look at the new OS7 BlackBerrys.
    02-16-12 03:48 PM
    All fair points, as I have limited data, free text and few friends/colleagues with a Blackberry I shall continue to shy away but now understand the appeal.
    02-16-12 04:01 PM
    I use "BBM groups" to discuss sports games with a group of my close friends while the game is going on. Its like having our own chat room where we can all take part in the chat no matter where we are at any given time. I can easily send a message to the group along with a pic and know they will all get it.

Due to the fragmentation between Apple, Android and Blackberry I've been steering alot of people to the WhatsApp platform. Being able to chat with any friend at any given time no matter what phone they have is nice :-)
    02-16-12 05:06 PM
    I think it was mentioned before, it's really great for texting to friends in other countries without incurring international charges.

BBM groups, which I only recently discovered (-_-U), is surprisingly useful to share information between group members, such as pictures, links, calendar, and groupchat.

You can find BBM groups with common interests online, I think. Much better way of meeting new people other than Smoothie and Wikitude - most were creeps who add you based solely on your gender and profile picture then try to start an awkward conversation with you.
    02-16-12 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD