I need a confirmation... I read that the 9930 will have gsm hspa+ roaming capabilities. If that's the case shouldn't I set my phone to gsm(like the storm) and 4g it up on tmobile networks?
    Thing is, for the CDMA devices the UMTS bands are for global roaming and dont utilize the T-Mobile 3G band which is 1700MHz band. TMo will be carrying the 9900, so you can get it from them if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-26-11 08:09 AM
    I just hope most of the major apps are updated to run on the new hardware and screen resolutions for both the 9900 and 9810 (T2) when these devices start to ship. I remember having to wait for ScoreMobile to be updated for OS 6 which took at least 1 or 2 months if I remember correctly after the Torch came out last August.

-Rich
    06-26-11 08:27 AM
    I just hope most of the major apps are updated to run on the new hardware and screen resolutions for both the 9900 and 9810 (T2) when these devices start to ship. I remember having to wait for ScoreMobile to be updated for OS 6 which took at least 1 or 2 months if I remember correctly after the Torch came out last August.

-Rich
    You can bet you'll have to wait for apps to be updated.....but hopefully not very long. And the themes.....I usually don't stick with the carrier theme and look for a good one right away.
    06-26-11 08:36 AM
    I think its still possible for a July release, am I the only one that thinks this?

Rim cant afford for this device to be released after the Iphone5 in August or Sept. Why give more people the chance to buy the new iphone and sign another 2 year contract.

This waiting game is so freaking annoying.
    06-26-11 09:24 AM
    i totally agree with you here, and i believe a lot of us do. You won't find as much support for your opinion here on these types of forums though, because almost everyone here understands what the different specs actually mean. Most of my friends and co-workers on the other hand have absolutely no clue how much ram or at what speed the processor is running at, nor do they care. What they want is a responsive phone that makes solid phone calls (something iphone still can't figure out), and also a solid device for texting and instant messaging, for all three of these items the blackberry does it top notch. You can also through in the camera... people use their smart phone for this all the time, and again - blackberry does well at this. I personally think the Bold Touch is going to sell extremely well, almost everyone i talk to that has a blackberry is ready to upgrade to this.... it will do well. The other phone that will sell well is the Torch 2. I dont have one, but i have never talked to anyone who has the torch who says they dont like it (just my personal experience... im not looking for people who dont like it, save your post for another time)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I agree as well. But the problem for RIM is phones that just do these basics (even **extremely well**) will not command high ASP's (average selling prices). RIM needs the margin on sales to continue investing in R&D, keep profits up, and keep investors happy.
    06-26-11 10:32 AM
    Because the 1.2GHZ processor is already outdated, when other companies are running DualCore processors. RIM with give a press release next month and claim they are postponing the release of the 9900 until January 2012 because they want to make sure that the consumer gets the best device and releasing a new OS instead of the Liquid Graphics one which is being used as a bandage, and that they think that based on the market direction the 1.2GHZ may be underpowered..........DO you get my sarcasm...?

The best product is always the product that is already available on the mass market and currently used by consumers.
    1.2GHz is not outdated and certainly has the muscle for what a BB7 phone can do.

I am not certain of this, but I doubt blackberry's OS (or it's applications) support multithreading therefore you can't just slap a dual core chip in there.

I suspect the timing of QNX is in part the OS development to support multicore chips.

But again, I don't know. It's been a while since I read about that stuff. I just know 1.2Ghz could feel just as fast as any phone currently out there.
    06-26-11 10:37 AM
    I been saying and still say that we will see this by the end of July or first week or so of August...
    06-26-11 11:22 AM
    I was told on friday by our corporate rogers rep not until OCTOBER!!!!

Since we are in the process of moving all our staff off BELL and getting new phones, some of the users wanted a BB or the ones that already had BB's wanted to wait to see if they could get the new bold. They said it wont be available until october at which point if your users still want it we could get a lower price then buy out.

I don't get RIM you release a product in May to show off but don't get it out until 4-5 month later? Whenever apple releases a preview its in their stores within 2 weeks tops. And they wonder why Apple is slaughtering them...
    06-26-11 12:02 PM
    Obviously I have no insider info but I have to say there is no effing way that RIM waits till October to release this phone. They already announced it, said that it was finished and put the ball in the carriers court. Like CX just said in this thread, the phones are even already manufactured. RIM is trying to get them out in the hands of people asap.

If Rogers does wait till October it will because of Rogers, not because of RIM.
    06-26-11 01:07 PM

If Rogers does wait till October it will because of Rogers, not because of RIM.
    Or the rep who wants you to sign now and now wait for the release of the 9900/9930
    06-26-11 03:36 PM
    Jot that one down. If it launches earlier, don't trust that person again!
    06-26-11 04:18 PM
    IMO, RIM has put itself in a Celebrity boxing match in which if? Say, June-July, they could have boxed mini-me...but now they're steppin' in the ring in September with Floyd-Tommy Hearns-Sugar Ray Tyson and they better hope they can rope a dope and hug the ropes...again, numbers won't lie. Tis a damn shame. At leats Jimmy B and Mike L use a friggin' magic 8 ball if you get confused.

06-26-11 04:30 PM
    September at the earliest!

AT&T, then T-Mo, PCS and then Sprint mid December!
    06-26-11 05:25 PM
    If RIM doesn't get it together, they'll only have Metro PCS carting out their $250.00 devices next March

06-26-11 05:51 PM
    To be honest I think everyone gets WAY too carried away with all of this dual core, 3D...blah blah blah talk. Maybe I'm just older and not someone who plays games all day on my phone but I need my phone to be able to make calls well, text, email, have the battery last the day and browse the web. I don't need or have time to play Words With Friends or Angry Birds on my phone. People acting like the sky is falling because we don't have the latest greatest processor are ridiculous.
    RIM is in the business of selling phones. If the userbase they are catering to is the one you described, how the **** are they supposed to make money? Who would buy a new phone when their current one suits basic needs. They can sell the same phones over and over again, but that won't get them anywhere. RIM is supposedly selling smartphones. When RIM first started, this just boiled down to email. Now smartphones are expected to have great internet browsing,gps, productivity apps, multimedia qpps, etc.
    Nashstruck likes this.
    06-26-11 06:36 PM
    RIM is in the business of selling phones. If the userbase they are catering to is the one you described, how the **** are they supposed to make money? Who would buy a new phone when their current one suits basic needs. They can sell the same phones over and over again, but that won't get them anywhere. RIM is supposedly selling smartphones. When RIM first started, this just boiled down to email. Now smartphones are expected to have great internet browsing,gps, productivity apps, multimedia qpps, etc.
    RIM has everything but the apps now and I think they are going to come since they are upping their hardware and QNX being able to do much more in that realm. My point was that the sky isn't falling and while you can say that RIM is lacking a lot I would bet almost everything that the majority of smartphone buyers really don't do a lot of stuff on their phones. Almost every girl that I know who has a BlackBerry doesn't even have email setup on it let alone a ton of apps (that's not a sexist comment, just an observation based on the girls that I personally know who use these phones ).

Smartphones have to be able to do the simple communications things well and have some other perks as the majority of people don't venture too far on their phones. I really believe that BlackBerry fell behind because of the slow hardware and their browser. If a year ago they had a top spec phone with a better browser I honestly don't think they would be in the position that they are in today.
    06-26-11 08:10 PM
    Smartphones have to be able to do the simple communications things well and have some other perks as the majority of people don't venture too far on their phones. I really believe that BlackBerry fell behind because of the slow hardware and their browser. If a year ago they had a top spec phone with a better browser I honestly don't think they would be in the position that they are in today.
    Totally agree.
    06-26-11 09:18 PM
    Hey guys,

this is my first posting on crackberry, so "hello" to the community.

Since I am in German and travel a lot the EU I am quite surprised about the "US carrier" discussion you guys are into. If so, I think with having (still) such a huge market share RIM should be able to use their power to put preassure on the testing of thrid party partners in order to manage release dates better.

The delayed relase date of the 9900 seems to me like if you are together with your partner for a long time and she/he has gained weight a lot and promises to get back on track again. But instead of seeing her going to the gym she/he talks about workout plans and diet. At first you are excited, but after a while it turns into negative emotions, since nothing happens. This happens to me with RIM lately. At first I was thrilled about the 9900, then I did not care anymore, by now I am just pissed.

The only think that speaks in favour for RIM is, that all other competitors do not manage to see the market opportunity by offering a good business keyboard (touch) phone (no slider) and instead copy blindly the iphone or put social media and gaming as prorities, like the HTC "Cha-cha" (sounds like a dog name, allows the facebook button more presence than the on/off button).

Also, for instance, why don't they release the new "Touch-Bold" in two sizes, 9000 / 9700? I personally get the impression that RIM will not be able to catch up on their R&D and it all will end up like Palm a couple of years ago.

Alex
    Last edited by MrPommeroy; 06-27-11 at 04:16 AM.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-27-11 04:07 AM
    Yes they're in a warehouse waiting to be flashed with firmware then shipped.

Yes, HUGE TarHeel fan here ))
    Yea, buddy, Go HEELS! Going to be a great season this year. I am already waiting for the 2011-2012 season tip-off. The Black Falcon came back for a title and with Zeller, Henson, Marshall, McAdoo, McDonald, Strickland, Bullock, Hairston and the others, its going to be hard to deny them the title.
    m23haz likes this.
    06-27-11 06:24 AM
    RIM has everything but the apps now and I think they are going to come since they are upping their hardware and QNX being able to do much more in that realm.
    I am not so sure about that. QNX based phones are probably over a year away and their pre-announcement will create something of an Osbourne effect for BB OS 7 among app developers.
    06-27-11 11:17 AM
    For some reason I have a feeling this phone is coming in the first or second week of July (US). I have no proof, but I just have been reading a good number of sites and "rumors" and some of the pieces out there have been pointing to around mid July (just my theory). Heres to hoping. Either way, I'll be standing in line for this tight little jam
    06-27-11 11:52 AM
    I said I'd never stand in line to buy anything but I might make an exception for this phone. Not because I think its the greatest phone in the world but because I have been wanting this form factor for soooo long. I have always been on VZW and eyed the Bold 9000 on ATT from afar. I can't wait to have this.
    06-27-11 12:43 PM
    I would also hope that with these lenghty delays that RIM is also improving the phone/os/ and bringing it up to speed with what is already on the market (android, ios, etc) or perhaps making the leapfrog over said manufacturers. Fingers crossed for an awesome product....I still want one bad!

06-28-11 10:33 AM
    I understand that there's a lengthy process in getting carriers to approve phones because of testing. However, how is it that other manufacturers can go from announcement to release in a 2-8 weeks, but RIM can't? Surely other manufacturers' phones have to be tested all the same. Is it that the likes of Apple wait for testing on the carrier's end to be completed or near completion before they make an announcement and RIM decided to announce much earlier or before the testing process?
    06-28-11 12:01 PM
    I agree with John.....this phone should be released in July, VZW Plans Change on July 7th, NEW BB Phone should follow soon after that.
    06-28-11 04:39 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD