Maybe I'm too positive and I am ignoring the facts but I still find it hard to believe that this phone is still almost 2 months away from launching here on ATT and VZW. From the videos we have seen leaking, especially the last one with the guy from RIM, this phone looks complete. Why would it take so long to get it out??? I really don't get it. Do the carriers test it and then place the order to build or is RIM manufacturing them as they are being tested already? I am hoping that we are all surprised and that it launches sometime in the next few weeks in July.

Can anyone give some insight into this? To say I am anxious is a huge understatement.
    mssca likes this.
    06-25-11 03:31 PM
    I believe it has something to do with the new code that RIM wrote for OS7. Not sure if its something they built from the ground up, but there is a certification clearance they have to go through with each carrier that is taking longer than expected. After that is done, they said devices will start to regularly come out like usual. I'm sorry I don't know the exact terms, but I'm sure someone else can explain to you more in depth than what I touched upon.

EDIT: That and they were half way through production and realized that they hadn't done enough and had to start over.

Further Explanation on Why we are Waiting Sooo Long for BlackBerry 7 Smartphones to be Released
    Last edited by chillson1386; 06-25-11 at 03:51 PM.
    06-25-11 03:46 PM
    The devices are already manufactured. They are given to carriers for them to test on their respective networks and then be accepted by Technical Acceptance.
    What you're failing to realize is there are a ton of people that are going to use this device. In all kinds of settings. The device must be verified to work properly in all environments, plenty of which haven't been shown in any video on the web. This is a lengthy process. When RIM submits a bundle to the carrier. If they test it and don't like it, they have to wait for RIM to send a new bundle. This isn't a fast process. Nor is testing a device for a week that people intend to use for years and saying well it runs ok.

In the case of the original 9000, RIM had to revise the Hardware for AT&T which caused a rather lengthy delay. It is the carriers who will receive the tech support calls for most problem that occur with the device, so they're going to make sure it's as close to perfect as they can get it. It saves lots of money in the long run.

And RIM doesn't have a strong track record of releasing devices/code with zero bugs. This is completely new HW for RIM & it takes a bit to get the code right.
    06-25-11 03:52 PM
    The devices are already manufactured. They are given to carriers for them to test on their respective networks and then be accepted by Technical Acceptance.
    What you're failing to realize is there are a ton of people that are going to use this device. In all kinds of settings. The device must be verified to work properly in all environments, plenty of which haven't been shown in any video on the web. This is a lengthy process. When RIM submits a bundle to the carrier. If they test it and don't like it, they have to wait for RIM to send a new bundle. This isn't a fast process. Nor is testing a device for a week that people intend to use for years and saying well it runs ok.

In the case of the original 9000, RIM had to revise the Hardware for AT&T which caused a rather lengthy delay. It is the carriers who will receive the tech support calls for most problem that occur with the device, so they're going to make sure it's as close to perfect as they can get it. It saves lots of money in the long run.

And RIM doesn't have a strong track record of releasing devices/code with zero bugs. This is completely new HW for RIM & it takes a bit to get the code right.
    Hey Crucial, do you have any info or update on the 9930?
    06-25-11 03:54 PM
    Hey Crucial, do you have any info or update on the 9930?
    GSM is more my side, but both the 9930 & 9850 are being tested by CDMA carriers as we speak. Totally up to them as when they release. But August is a good reference point for release.
    06-25-11 03:59 PM
    GSM is more my side, but both the 9930 & 9850 are being tested by CDMA carriers as we speak. Totally up to them as when they release. But August is a good reference point for release.
    Ah I see. Awesome, thanks!
    06-25-11 04:01 PM

crucial ur saying this device is currently in field testing for AT&T but yet phonegeek has said it still isnt being tested in the field, just that its in the AT&T labs which one is it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 04:33 PM
    crucial ur saying this device is currently in field testing for AT&T but yet phonegeek has said it still isnt being tested in the field, just that its in the AT&T labs which one is it?

A while back(weeks) the 9900 made an appearance in the field, but had to go back(typical for a RIM device on AT&T). But I've also said recently that the 9810 is going to release before the 9900, meaning the 9810 is currently in the field and is ahead of it's counterpart. Anyways, the 9900 is currently seeing time in the field.

PG also hasn't said anything about the 9900 in a while. He hasn't said much at all for that matter. Lots of things can change in two weeks.
    insman1 likes this.
    06-25-11 04:45 PM
    Thanks, CX. I guess what I was confused about what the manufacturing part. So these phones are sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the carrier to put their stuff on it and go?

I am so impatient. I have been wanting this phone for years.

Hey CX...GO HEELS!
    06-25-11 05:13 PM
    Thanks, CX. I guess what I was confused about what the manufacturing part. So these phones are sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the carrier to put their stuff on it and go?

I am so impatient. I have been wanting this phone for years.

Hey CX...GO HEELS!
    Yes they're in a warehouse waiting to be flashed with firmware then shipped.

Yes, HUGE TarHeel fan here ))
    insman1 and ZMc1834 like this.
    06-25-11 05:17 PM
    Thanks for the insight CX . Its always helpful to know the truth about these new products .

06-25-11 05:20 PM
    Thanks for the insight CX . Its always helpful to know the truth about these new products .

I feel sure Voda will launch before anywhere over here Jac. So you'll be able to get it first. Oh yeah, GOOOOOOOOO FERRARI
    06-25-11 05:35 PM
    CX I know you're a GSM guy, but COULD? Say Sprint get the Bold 9930 tested and avaiable before the leaked 08/21/11 sku list? Or IYO, those sku list are pretty much set in stone?

06-25-11 05:36 PM
    Cheers for the info CX

It's so refreshing to see actual FACTS... rather than the fairytales we're used to reading in here

06-25-11 05:39 PM
    Haha, I have thought all along that Voda will get it before the usa.

BTW enjoy the race tomorrow. Oh I forgot. #believeinmclaren.

06-25-11 05:39 PM
    Go Button!!!

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-25-11 05:43 PM
    CX I know you're a GSM guy, but COULD? Say Sprint get the Bold 9930 tested and avaiable before the leaked 08/21/11 sku list? Or IYO, those sku list are pretty much set in stone?

Could they? It's possible. And things change all the time. But I really wouldn't expect if much before Aug.

Cheers for the info CX

It's so refreshing to see actual FACTS... rather than the fairytales we're used to reading in here

My pleasure Phil.

Haha, I have thought all along that Voda will get it before the usa.

BTW enjoy the race tomorrow. Oh I forgot. #believeinmclaren.

pfffffttt

Go Button!!!

Oh no, not you too Phil.... lol
    06-25-11 06:30 PM
    I need a confirmation... I read that the 9930 will have gsm hspa+ roaming capabilities. If that's the case shouldn't I set my phone to gsm(like the storm) and 4g it up on tmobile networks?
    06-25-11 07:15 PM
    its too funny that for many bb lovers, at&t is kicking it with the torch 9800 and curve 3g 9300.what user in the right mind would go into a store, glance at those two right off the back before the fancy iphone and high level androids.i know i know a bb user would but for a bb user those 2 are not sufficient blackberries to sign up for a new 2 year contract in 2011.so that being said,at&t needs to revamp their bb offerings and with the new devices this can certainly happen.so im ok with at&t testing the devices to perfection but don't delay any until september because the net gain in profit will be marginal at best for rim.the iphone 5 and new 4g androids will mostly take the thunder away from anything from bb's showroom. so from now until august, the carriers will have to release them.or else you will see in rim in the black hole for a long time to come.i certainly don't want to see that day.do you?
    06-25-11 10:20 PM
    Maybe I'm too positive and I am ignoring the facts but I still find it hard to believe that this phone is still almost 2 months away from launching here on ATT and VZW. From the videos we have seen leaking, especially the last one with the guy from RIM, this phone looks complete. Why would it take so long to get it out??? I really don't get it. Do the carriers test it and then place the order to build or is RIM manufacturing them as they are being tested already? I am hoping that we are all surprised and that it launches sometime in the next few weeks in July.

Can anyone give some insight into this? To say I am anxious is a huge understatement.

Because the 1.2GHZ processor is already outdated, when other companies are running DualCore processors. RIM with give a press release next month and claim they are postponing the release of the 9900 until January 2012 because they want to make sure that the consumer gets the best device and releasing a new OS instead of the Liquid Graphics one which is being used as a bandage, and that they think that based on the market direction the 1.2GHZ may be underpowered..........DO you get my sarcasm...?

The best product is always the product that is already available on the mass market and currently used by consumers.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 06-25-11 at 10:52 PM.
    06-25-11 10:45 PM
    From a marketing viewpoint wouldnt late August make sense to get the going back to school crowd? I live in AZ and the kids both college and HS go back in August. Marketing has to play a part in release date.
    06-25-11 10:49 PM
    To be honest I think everyone gets WAY too carried away with all of this dual core, 3D...blah blah blah talk. Maybe I'm just older and not someone who plays games all day on my phone but I need my phone to be able to make calls well, text, email, have the battery last the day and browse the web. I don't need or have time to play Words With Friends or Angry Birds on my phone. People acting like the sky is falling because we don't have the latest greatest processor are ridiculous.
    catberryday, ritesh and dosto like this.
    06-25-11 11:08 PM
    The reason for the delay is probably because they haven't finished reskinning OS 6 enough to call it OS 7.
    06-26-11 12:43 AM
    To be honest I think everyone gets WAY too carried away with all of this dual core, 3D...blah blah blah talk. Maybe I'm just older and not someone who plays games all day on my phone but I need my phone to be able to make calls well, text, email, have the battery last the day and browse the web. I don't need or have time to play Words With Friends or Angry Birds on my phone. People acting like the sky is falling because we don't have the latest greatest processor are ridiculous.
    i totally agree with you here, and i believe a lot of us do. You won't find as much support for your opinion here on these types of forums though, because almost everyone here understands what the different specs actually mean. Most of my friends and co-workers on the other hand have absolutely no clue how much ram or at what speed the processor is running at, nor do they care. What they want is a responsive phone that makes solid phone calls (something iphone still can't figure out), and also a solid device for texting and instant messaging, for all three of these items the blackberry does it top notch. You can also through in the camera... people use their smart phone for this all the time, and again - blackberry does well at this. I personally think the Bold Touch is going to sell extremely well, almost everyone i talk to that has a blackberry is ready to upgrade to this.... it will do well. The other phone that will sell well is the Torch 2. I dont have one, but i have never talked to anyone who has the torch who says they dont like it (just my personal experience... im not looking for people who dont like it, save your post for another time)

06-26-11 02:08 AM
    Go Button!!!

I like the way you think
    06-26-11 02:22 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD