BlackBerry World was last week in Orlando and the BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930 was announced. There were no carriers announced for the CDMA unit, are there plans for Sprint to carry it?

"The bottom line is that we have a good relationship with them; we’re one of their key partners around the world. They’re a platform company, and whenever they offer a platform they typically offer it to all carriers, so I’ll just leave it at that. It’s like the Curve… it’s a global platform. Bold has also been a global platform. It’s very rare that they do something that’s unique to just one carrier and if they do that, they typically don’t announce it in a global event like that. So I’ll just leave it at that, and you can extrapolate from there."
    05-11-11 12:43 PM
    "Extrapolate"? Lol seems when someone asks any Sprint exec they talk very legalese...wish Sprint could just come out and say "YES! We're getting the Bold 9930 this summer"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 03:06 PM
    "Extrapolate"? Lol seems when someone asks any Sprint exec they talk very legalese...wish Sprint could just come out and say "YES! We're getting the Bold 9930 this summer"

I agree.

I wish carriers would just say "We're going to get the phone. We just don't know when we'll have it" and that would be fine for me.
    05-12-11 12:09 AM
    I agree.

I wish carriers would just say "We're going to get the phone. We just don't know when we'll have it" and that would be fine for me.
    AMEN! No need to "extrpolate" any further lol

05-12-11 05:20 AM
    The employees at one of our local (NYC) Sprint stores told me that they've been officially informed from "high-up" that they will be receiving 9930 units in the late May to early June range. However, they also have not received a specific date, so I'd interpret that estimate as "likely" but not a guarantee.
    05-12-11 08:57 PM
    I know that 90% of the time, carrier reps/salepeople/employees really do not have any idea when devices are released until within 30 days or sooner, most cases, just a couple of weeks. Also, I'm sure carriers have the same policy as Apple, NO discussing any future or upcoming devices (they want you to buy a current on selve device, not wait 3 months from now) But reading through these forums, I'm sure there have been times when reps actually do have knowlage of upcoming devices that they have leaked out. Hopefully your Sprint rep in NYC is right, I want a 9930 asap!

05-13-11 05:46 AM
    I know that 90% of the time, carrier reps/salepeople/employees really do not have any idea when devices are released until within 30 days or sooner, most cases, just a couple of weeks. Also, I'm sure carriers have the same policy as Apple, NO discussing any future or upcoming devices (they want you to buy a current on selve device, not wait 3 months from now) But reading through these forums, I'm sure there have been times when reps actually do have knowlage of upcoming devices that they have leaked out. Hopefully your Sprint rep in NYC is right, I want a 9930 asap!

You are correct. When Sprint was coming out w/their OFFICIAL 6.0 OS, their reps had no clue until about 2-3 days before. As a matter of fact, their reps have told me repeatedly that that is how they find out information.

As for whether Sprint will get the 9930, I wouldn't worry about it. All of the major carriers (and many of the minor ones) will almost certainly be getting either the 9900 or the 9930. The only question for each carrier is when. The fact that they ONLY announced those phones at their WORLD EVENT goes to prove that. They have other phones coming out that they did not announce, such as the "Storm 3" & the "Torch 2", which will most likely be on select carriers only.
    05-13-11 10:27 AM
    Kevin said in the other thread that in the Q&A session that RIM didn't give a specific date but are expecting a summer/late summer release. I would probably expect either July or August for the first US carriers if no delays. Having said that, doesn't mean that Sprint will be the first. They may be but who knows who will be first. Them announcing the playbook has nothing to do with 9900. I hope they do get it first for the sake of those with no patience and are going to explode in their pants waiting but it's certainly not a given that Sprint will be first. Some carriers get exclusive blackberries and for the devices that aren't exclusive some carriers get them a little later. With the Bold line, didn't the GSM versions usually come out first? Just wondering.
    05-13-11 12:55 PM
    Unless they've ran into some delays right before BBW and really couldn't delay the Bold 9900/9930 announcement there, I can not see any reason for this device NOT to be released in late June...a build up of a global device in May only to relase it 3-4 months later really IS a huge mistake when you have iphone5 around the corner, the latest HTC, Samsung and Evo before that. Hey RIM, this isn't 2008 and all you had to worry about was at&t's iphone and maybe a Palm Centro or Samsung...YOU are behind the 8 ball, NOT Android, HTC and iphone...its 2011, wake the F up!

05-13-11 02:31 PM
    For what is is worth.....a very close friend works for Sprint (in one of the Atlanta switches), well, now Ericsson, but that is another story, anyway, he said he has been asking around for me (I'm actually on T-mo but he knows I am waiting for this device) and he said NO one is letting slip when it is coming. He also said they get a phone a year for free or cheap or somehting and almost always have the latest gossip on new devices but not a peep on this one. And to make matters worse, his wife does some sort of programming for RIM in Cumming, GA and also not a peep as to when. So who knows. Just my .02

Chad
    05-13-11 08:49 PM
    Unless they've ran into some delays right before BBW and really couldn't delay the Bold 9900/9930 announcement there, I can not see any reason for this device NOT to be released in late June...a build up of a global device in May only to relase it 3-4 months later really IS a huge mistake when you have iphone5 around the corner, the latest HTC, Samsung and Evo before that. Hey RIM, this isn't 2008 and all you had to worry about was at&t's iphone and maybe a Palm Centro or Samsung...YOU are behind the 8 ball, NOT Android, HTC and iphone...its 2011, wake the F up!

I agree with you 100% but the record shows that RIM is run by bunch of idiots who probably passed a marketing exam in some remote community college. It seems like overpaid marketing people are living in a perfect world with NO other phone manufactures while we the consumers are living in real world. I will NOT be surprised if RIM release this phone on December 31, 2011.

RIM don't see the issues with announcing a phone and introducing it so early and then not push for testing by service providers. Do you know that Apple has a group of people(in their marketing) who push service providers to get the tests done as soon as possible? People who tested iPhone4 were treated like slaves by their mobile company because Apple was breathing down the neck of Rogers (and other service providers).
    05-13-11 09:05 PM
    I just found this on RIM's website: The new BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 smartphones are expected to be available from carriers around the world beginning this summer.

BlackBerry - Press Releases
    05-13-11 09:15 PM

Me, too! It's also possible that word from "high-up" means something as unhelpful as a supervisor's guess from a couple of levels up. Oh, well. Almost all signs seem to point to Sprint getting the 9930 this summer, and my hunch is June-July...if only because I like "J" months.
    05-13-11 09:24 PM
    For what is is worth.....a very close friend works for Sprint (in one of the Atlanta switches), well, now Ericsson, but that is another story, anyway, he said he has been asking around for me (I'm actually on T-mo but he knows I am waiting for this device) and he said NO one is letting slip when it is coming. He also said they get a phone a year for free or cheap or somehting and almost always have the latest gossip on new devices but not a peep on this one. And to make matters worse, his wife does some sort of programming for RIM in Cumming, GA and also not a peep as to when. So who knows. Just my .02

Chad
    How come no one seems to know for sure? I mean we are talking about RIM here. Someone has to know something?????
    05-13-11 09:35 PM
    I know, right. I'm not saying that my friends wife is on the front line of new devices or anything (I think she does SAP or some other programming for them) but damn, you would think it would be known around the office or something. And my buddy that is was with Sprint, well, like I said, he usually has the scoop before anyone else we hang out with. I can almost never bring any new cell phone related news to him that he hasn't already heard about. And she swears she hasn't been threatened or anything to keep quiet, she really hasn't heard anything news worthy.
    05-13-11 11:12 PM
    I know, right. I'm not saying that my friends wife is on the front line of new devices or anything (I think she does SAP or some other programming for them) but damn, you would think it would be known around the office or something. And my buddy that is was with Sprint, well, like I said, he usually has the scoop before anyone else we hang out with. I can almost never bring any new cell phone related news to him that he hasn't already heard about. And she swears she hasn't been threatened or anything to keep quiet, she really hasn't heard anything news worthy.
    I think I am going crazy over here! I will go nuts if RIM delay the release. If this phone won't come on before September, I may end up in mental hospital.
    hnguyen likes this.
    05-13-11 11:26 PM
    The less anyone hears about this other than pics and specs the more powerful it becomes as far as marketing goes. There is nothing more powerful than factless speculation mixed with great anticipation. Very calculating on RIM's part. I think for the first time, they are truly confident they have a winner.

05-15-11 05:04 PM
    The less anyone hears about this other than pics and specs the more powerful it becomes as far as marketing goes. There is nothing more powerful than factless speculation mixed with great anticipation. Very calculating on RIM's part. I think for the first time, they are truly confident they have a winner.

I think you are just counting crackberry people..NOT just a regular Joe customer who does not go on BlackBerry or iphone or HTC fan sites...he may be interested in getting a BlackBerry and see it as "coming soon" on the offical web site, but when he's ready to make a purchase, he's looking at what is available at his carrier then..NOT August or September or some other guessiment dates...the carrier rep will of course steer him to what they HAVE then...what his preferances in a device is, what price range...the ratio of people who just want the latest device when their upgrade is available is much greater than BlackBerry users who sit and wait and wait some more while technology passes them by...I'm not a hater or troll, I have a Curve 8330 and love it and want a Bold 9930..but NO platform company is gonna mezmerize me with a "coming soon" in May and NOT release the device until mid to late August! When by then I'll have EVERY choice avaiable from iphone to HTC to Samsung to Motorola and if I want at the time a BlackBerry...but again RIM, THIS IS NOT 2008!!! Wake the heck up!

05-15-11 05:43 PM
    This is very interesting... I don't have an expectation, except that waiting too long between announcement and release is a sure strike against RIM. Though, I believe CrackBerry Kevin when he says, RIM is turning themselves around and we will be seeing a new RIM. I am optimistic about a late June, early July release on all the "big 4" US carriers... AT&T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon.

But again, just speculation... We will know, when we know.
    05-16-11 03:21 PM
    This is very interesting... I don't have an expectation, except that waiting too long between announcement and release is a sure strike against RIM. Though, I believe CrackBerry Kevin when he says, RIM is turning themselves around and we will be seeing a new RIM. I am optimistic about a late June, early July release on all the "big 4" US carriers... AT&T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon.

But again, just speculation... We will know, when we know.
    05-16-11 03:21 PM
    [QUOTE=albee 1;6330897]The less anyone hears about this other than pics and specs the more powerful it becomes as far as marketing goes. There is nothing more powerful than factless speculation mixed with great anticipation. Very calculating on RIM's part. I think for the first time, they are truly confident they have a winner. >>

So true albee 1 and in a way, heartening (to me) to think they maybe, really do have a winner this time !
    05-16-11 03:57 PM
    Yeah, real calculating when Sprint will announce a iphone 4S before the holidays...so you are chomping at the bit for a device that will be at least 1yr behind eveything else (except NFC, which the iphone 4S will not have) and salute great marketing skills to delay it further? I think RIM really screwed up trying to get the Playbook out and just "assumed" the next smartphone device could take a back seat. If this is marketing genius, then Apple has to be GOD like in marketing. Some people will drink swill and thank the person for NOT giving them wine...jeez.

05-16-11 05:43 PM
    Yeah, real calculating when Sprint will announce a iphone 4S before the holidays...so you are chomping at the bit for a device that will be at least 1yr behind eveything else (except NFC, which the iphone 4S will not have) and salute great marketing skills to delay it further? I think RIM really screwed up trying to get the Playbook out and just "assumed" the next smartphone device could take a back seat. If this is marketing genius, then Apple has to be GOD like in marketing. Some people will drink swill and thank the person for NOT giving them wine...jeez.

I just want to point out that your trusting BGR when they say a Sprint iPhone is coming, but don't believe them that the 9900 is delayed until August. No one knows for sure that Sprint is getting an iPhone just as much as no one knows when the new Bold is coming out.
    05-16-11 11:35 PM

Take a pill Lefty, some people, god forbid prefer real keyboards to fake ones. Also some people prefer Blackberry to apple. In a perfect world we would all like what you like! Yeah right. *

05-17-11 09:55 AM
    Take a pill Lefty, some people, god forbid prefer real keyboards to fake ones. Also some people prefer Blackberry to apple. In a perfect world we would all like what you like! Yeah right. *

AGAIN...I PREFER A QWERTY KEYBOARD AND A BLACKBERRY!!! again, I've had upgrades now since LAST June, I could have picked up an Evo 4G but I dont care for a touchscreen...all I am saying is that we're consumers FIRST! not a BlackBerry cult I didn't relize on these sites that RIM can constantly screw up and keep getting praise...for what? being at least a year behind in smartphone technology. So MOST consumers in North America are just sheep because they have turned thier back on old RIM devices for faster and flashier? it's called living with the times...you snooze, YOU lose. If people are sastified with plastic cheap Curves now and 2yr old Bolds, then fine. But I expect MORE from a once proud industry leading smartphone platform that made the iphone blink, not sit on thier a**es and watch it all fade away. I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves thier BlackBerry but just wants a current device that I can be happy to have for 2yrs. really not asking for much.
    05-17-11 11:04 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD