I have a sprint Bold 9930, and a PC. How do I update my software? would i lose all my apps and data? or would they load back after the update like an iOS device? i see steps for this, but it involves for people who arent on sprint and stuff
    01-04-12 02:54 PM
    It is all the same.

You may have to reload your Apps. Play it safe and back them all up. (With the Activation codes. )
    01-04-12 02:57 PM
    Death is right, back up using DM (or whatever it's called now), and BBSAK. BBSAK is for third party apps, if you have any. Also, I have found that a wipe using BBSAK makes for a trouble free upgrade.
    01-04-12 03:06 PM
    It is all the same.

You may have to reload your Apps. Play it safe and back them all up. (With the Activation codes. )
    I went from .374 to 7.1 and all my apps were still there. I had to reactivate a couple and restore configuration on 3 of them. But everything was there none the less. And yes do a manual backup before hand. The app loader does one too but if a problem should arise, you have your own back up.

It seems that the OS updates are getting less painful.
    01-04-12 03:20 PM
    I went from .374 to 7.1 and all my apps were still there. I had to reactivate a couple and restore configuration on 3 of them. But everything was there none the less. And yes do a manual backup before hand. The app loader does one too but if a problem should arise, you have your own back up.

It seems that the OS updates are getting less painful.
    how do you find the update was? better? or the battery life etc poor?
    01-04-12 03:59 PM
    how do you find the update was? better? or the battery life etc poor?
    I like the update... and it added hotspot. The only issue I have is a time glitch. If you go to the link: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/index15.html you'll see what I'm talking about. This is the only issue I have with it. No other users have reported this. I've have been slacking off on reloading the OS to see if it fixes this. Doesn't really bother me because it only happens in my calendar and quicklaunch options menu.

My battery life is the same. Sometimes better. It all depends on my usage. Either way I have been experiencing excellent battery life.
    01-04-12 04:22 PM
    Search

10char
    01-04-12 05:02 PM
    I like the update... and it added hotspot. The only issue I have is a time glitch. If you go to the link: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2/index15.html you'll see what I'm talking about. This is the only issue I have with it. No other users have reported this. I've have been slacking off on reloading the OS to see if it fixes this. Doesn't really bother me because it only happens in my calendar and quicklaunch options menu.

My battery life is the same. Sometimes better. It all depends on my usage. Either way I have been experiencing excellent battery life.
    I just tried doing it, but it got stuck on the Smart Card , Back Up..for nearly an hour. I got fed up and cancelled it :/
    01-04-12 05:42 PM
    I just tried doing it, but it got stuck on the Smart Card , Back Up..for nearly an hour. I got fed up and cancelled it :/
    Interesting... my update only took about 25 minutes from start to finish. Maybe it's because you have Sprint vs. me having VZW.

Smart card? Not ringing a bell.
    01-04-12 06:18 PM
    Interesting... my update only took about 25 minutes from start to finish. Maybe it's because you have Sprint vs. me having VZW.

Smart card? Not ringing a bell.
    everytime i try backing up my bold, smart card option stalls it for hours. I found a solution in the forums for it, i had to uncheck social feeds in the back up options, and it worked like a charm...
    01-04-12 06:36 PM
    everytime i try backing up my bold, smart card option stalls it for hours. I found a solution in the forums for it, i had to uncheck social feeds in the back up options, and it worked like a charm...
    Oh yeah... duh. I saw a few others who did OTA updates and it took hours. It would hang up on Social Feeds. No good.

How long did the update take for you? All your apps still there?
    01-04-12 06:55 PM
    Oh yeah... duh. I saw a few others who did OTA updates and it took hours. It would hang up on Social Feeds. No good.

How long did the update take for you? All your apps still there?
    ok, so i restarted the process at 7:40. Stuck on Smart Card. That ended at 9:00. by 9:20, the process is complete, Bold is on and functional. My apps are all there, settings are missing and contacts from the address book gone, BBM is still full as before and working. It is still in the phase of connecting to device and it says this may take up to 30mins. progress bar is now 1/3 way through! so I guess I must sit and wait until it finishes and it'll restore my data...
    01-04-12 10:30 PM
    What OS are you coming from?
    01-05-12 12:54 AM
    What OS are you coming from?
    stock...7.0.262 or something
    01-05-12 01:59 AM
    Not sure if that would affect the length of your update...
    01-05-12 02:02 AM
    Not sure if that would affect the length of your update...
    possibly. It did not restore my stuff, had an error, so I cancelled and did a restore in DM. it worked fine! i dont seem to have the time problem like you do. I did a few battery pull so far to help it settle in, no issues thus far. took it off the charger at 1am, its now 11:15 and it is on 75%, using bbm, fb, weather apps, slight browsing. so that is pretty good
    01-05-12 12:16 PM
    possibly. It did not restore my stuff, had an error, so I cancelled and did a restore in DM. it worked fine! i dont seem to have the time problem like you do. I did a few battery pull so far to help it settle in, no issues thus far. took it off the charger at 1am, its now 11:15 and it is on 75%, using bbm, fb, weather apps, slight browsing. so that is pretty good
    I'm reloading 7.1 right now... hopefully it fixes the time thing for me. Glad to hear you're getting good battery life.
    01-05-12 12:56 PM
    Yeah no go... didn't fix it for me.
    01-05-12 01:41 PM
    Yeah no go... didn't fix it for me.
    wat if you wipe the device clean and try again? i suddenly had a major drain of 100% to 70% in two hours, and my fb notifs stay up until i close the notif bar at times... but oh well, battery pulls fixes stuff i guess
    01-05-12 04:03 PM
    wat if you wipe the device clean and try again? i suddenly had a major drain of 100% to 70% in two hours, and my fb notifs stay up until i close the notif bar at times... but oh well, battery pulls fixes stuff i guess
    Yeah I did that... I downgraded to .374 and the time issue was gone. Reloaded 7.1 again and it came back. So I think I may have an app issue.
    01-05-12 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD