I just got a Blackberry Bold 9930 from a good friend of mine, and I was hoping to use it on my StraightTalk plan (since the phones they offer are junk...)

Its "branded" by Sprint (CDMA) and StraightTalk is GSM.. i came across a website that will unlock my blackberry to work with CDMA or GSM networks for $9.95, and was wondering how trustworthly and trueful that program/offer really is.

I just purchased my straighttalk unlimited plan for $45 and it came with a free phone (a POS phone.. but free) but id much rather use the Blackberry if at all possible... can this switch be done?

Ive read tutorials on how to unlock the phone, so I plan on doing that immediately, but switching the signal acceptance from CDMA->GSM is that possible??
    06-06-12 08:54 PM
    it takes a SIM card too.. im so confused as to if this is a CDMA phone or a GSM phone....

RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930 specs

says its both CDMA/GSM hybrid?! WTF?!
    06-06-12 09:33 PM
    i found this on the forums:
    Someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but I know at least with OS6, if you go back to that panel, and go to Network and Connections, and then Mobile Network, there should be something along the lines of Network Technology, where you can choose between H+/1XEV to GSM/UMTS.

Some of this wording may have changed (haven't gone hands on with a dual GSM/CDMA device since the 9650) but following the core of what I said above, you should be able to switch to T-Mobile, remember, you'll probably need to program the T-Mobile APN for data.
    and followed the instructions and he was correct!! just gotta wait for my sim card from straighttalk and ill be all set!! woooo hoooo
    06-06-12 10:51 PM
    I do believe that all you have to do is insert the SIM. Card and the phone will use the Gsm frequencies, et al. Take out the SIM card and the phone will be wanting to use the CDMA frequencies.
    One day they will get both to work at the same time, but that's another thing.
    06-07-12 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD