Just got back from my Sprint store and I have to say I am very impressed with this phone! A minor drawback is the lack of auto focus for the camera, but that is not a deal breaker for me.

I did notice the keys on the left side of the track pad did not click at all and were actually a little spongy. You had to press a little harder than the right side keys.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe it was just this model?
    08-21-11 07:07 PM
    i think the whole keyboard is spongy. maybe because the phone is more plastic than previous models?
    08-21-11 07:28 PM
    Mine first 9900 was like this and it was due to the faceplate on the keys not being properly mounted. I returned it immediately and the new one is perfect. Make sure that this isn't the case for you. You will notice that the transition from the screen to the Blackberry key is not smooth...sharp even.
    08-21-11 07:47 PM
    It's a design flaw that produces many variants between each phone. It's what happens when RIM decides to cut cost on something stupid like this. It's one piece of plastic covering the whole menu button layout. Started with the Torch. Flat out garbage that is simply glued on.
    08-21-11 07:48 PM
    Just got back from my Sprint store and I have to say I am very impressed with this phone! A minor drawback is the lack of auto focus for the camera, but that is not a deal breaker for me.

I did notice the keys on the left side of the track pad did not click at all and were actually a little spongy. You had to press a little harder than the right side keys.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe it was just this model?
    YES! I'm so glad someone else has the same thing, as I just got a Bell 9900 and I noticed this immediately. I tried a Rogers 9900 earlier this week and this issue did not exist. So is this a reason to return the phone, what are you going to do?
    08-21-11 08:05 PM
    Jam it in a bit and it improves....I have this too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 08:31 PM
    I believe I have the same issue. When I press the blackberry menu or the back button, it's not a smooth click. I believe it's because the whole trackpad is pressed too tight against the bottom of the screen. If I don't press the buttons all the way in, they kind of stay stuck in the middle of the way and make sequeaky sound as well. I don't know if I should return it or not...
    08-21-11 08:49 PM
    Well I think I am going to exchange mine. For a phone that supposedly is worth $600 or thereabouts, it should be perfect, IMHO. Let me know what you decide.

By the way this kind of reminds me of when the Tour 9630 came out initially. Everyone had to have one (including yours truly LOL) and then I don't think it turned out to be the greatest thing since peanut butter that perhaps a lot of people expected.
    Last edited by andy957; 08-21-11 at 08:54 PM.
    08-21-11 08:52 PM
    So is this a reason to return the phone, what are you going to do?
    My upgrade isn't due till Oct 1st so hopefully this will be addressed by then. If not I make sure before I lay out any $$$ that those buttons actually click!! There is no way I am spending $200 on a phone like that.

Hey you wouldn't buy a brand new car with a scratch on it would you??
    08-21-11 09:03 PM
    mine does it too
    I really hope my replacement is good....
    08-21-11 09:06 PM
    You may seem some variation between all of the keys and the menu. I've handled about 10 or so and the menu key doesn't seem to provide the exact same click as the other 3 keys. I chose one that is pretty close to the others but still slightly less clicky than the rest...not enough of a variation to worry about as it is almost equal. Try clicking the menu button on the right edge of it i.e. closer to the trackpad and you might find the click is louder with more tactile feedback.
    08-22-11 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD