my god people! once again its the carrier that is essentially delaying at this point... rim has released the hardware to the carriers and now it ups to the carriers to release it to us... stop blaming rim for this... right now its in the carriers hands for testing and release...

and fyi the hardware on these new devices are not that far behind... dual cores chip sets drain batteries fast... so whatever
    It is impossible for certain folks to understand that nuance. I gave up trying to explain it many moons ago.
    When something is released by the manufacturer (RIM) it goes to testing (carrier) and any TPRs addressed (between the two) so that delays after release to the carriers may or may not be a RIM issue.
    06-06-11 07:04 AM
    bingo!! rim is smart... why release hardware that runs out the battery in less then half a day aka android... i myself got a nexus s for fun... well i returned that the next day because he battery life was horrendous... lasted me 5 hours for a full charge on light useage.... now my bb lasts me a full day of heavy usage
    Yeah that's the difference, my Curve 3G goes 2 days before I charge it overnight, my Androids I have to charge it every single night, sometimes twice a day. However my old Pearl Flip was horrible on battery, then again that phone was a piece of dog poo.
    06-06-11 10:12 AM
    at this point my bold 9000 will not last a full day, with as much as i use it i cant go but maybe 5 hours, though i get around this by having a dock at work, and a car charger, 2nd battery at the ready just in case- i have a friend that has an HTC EVO, he has i think 5 or 6 batterys to help him get through a day, it seems that phones are far out advancing our battery tech and how long they will last on a charge

i know that once i get this new bold 9900 i will invest in 2 extra batterys, im sure this phones battery life will be about the same as my bold 9000 is now, because with a faster processer, better web browser, and other things that i would be able to use it for that i cant use my 9000 for, i will be more demanding of the battery
    06-06-11 11:07 AM
    For RIM to give this kind of power to the carriers is a mistake. If indeed the carriers are responsible for this, they are giving RIM a lot of bad press and they should not stand for it.
    This is where RIM needs to take a page from the Apple handbook and dictate to the carriers the release, not the other way around.
    RIM better get their act together soon... if it isn't too late already.
    06-06-11 10:03 PM
    RIM drops BIS and say good bye to their good push functionality. But that they should make the browser work directly with the carrier's network with no extra servers in between is a good idea, it would improve speed and latency, keeping BIS for other minor apps that don't require high speed connectivity. Which is why 4G will be an utter failure in blackberry devices if they dont change this (:
    As other platforms and hardware speed up and developers write apps to take advantage of improved hardware and faster networks, RIM will still be passing your email and internet through a BIS funnel that slows it down, prevents some of it from getting to you, and makes even 3G speeds unattainable. Anyone who has ever watched a BB and another device attempt something like RDM side by side knows the sinking feeling that their BB is just not in the same league. Other devices will catch up on battery life (my torch will suck the battery flat in 3 hours if I don't set screen brightness and time out to the lowest settings) and my understanding is the push email is no advantage anymore.
    06-08-11 09:00 AM
    As other platforms and hardware speed up and developers write apps to take advantage of improved hardware and faster networks, RIM will still be passing your email and internet through a BIS funnel that slows it down, prevents some of it from getting to you, and makes even 3G speeds unattainable. Anyone who has ever watched a BB and another device attempt something like RDM side by side knows the sinking feeling that their BB is just not in the same league. Other devices will catch up on battery life (my torch will suck the battery flat in 3 hours if I don't set screen brightness and time out to the lowest settings) and my understanding is the push email is no advantage anymore.
    I think you are exaggerating the lack of speed on the OS 6 browser. Your experience has not been mine.
    06-08-11 09:09 AM
    I have a friend who work at Bell their RIM rep said the same thing. They delayed the launch of the phone for back to school. No wonder their stock keeps dropping.
    i'm no expert but purposely delaying a phone which is ready for release just sounds like suicide to me.
    06-08-11 12:28 PM
    something i thought of the other day, i wonder if carriers share info with companys like RIM such as how many people have plans for a device and when they can upgrade... most people no matter how bad they want a new phone will not pay full price and will wait for an upgrade on contract... and if so how this info would effect the release of a new device
    06-08-11 12:37 PM
    Smh smh smh smh smh smh
    06-08-11 01:02 PM
    I have a friend who work at Bell their RIM rep said the same thing. They delayed the launch of the phone for back to school. No wonder their stock keeps dropping.
    i'm no expert but purposely delaying a phone which is ready for release just sounds like suicide to me.
    THANK you. Why? No one wants to believe when I posted here that RIM reps in BestBuy Canada told us it was delayed till "back to school" shopping period. I hope it is soon too. But I think it will be the end of August. Also that new leaked commercial seems to use a test model. That's why she was covering the back while she was taking the picture.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 08:59 PM
    Apparently this phone was set for a Canada day launch then RIM decided to push it back a month or so for back to school. (the busiest time of the year for phone companies) Will probably launch sometime in August now.
    06-09-11 10:17 AM
    guys also rim had said release will be summer... summer is june 21st till sept 23rd so "delayed" is not technically correct... even if then release for back to school aka august... well looky!! thats still summer therefore not late or delayed
    06-09-11 07:12 PM
    guys also rim had said release will be summer... summer is june 21st till sept 23rd so "delayed" is not technically correct... even if then release for back to school aka august... well looky!! thats still summer therefore not late or delayed
    Those of you who love to defend RIM saying that "release will be summer" is just running around in circles. RIM specifically posted ON THEIR OFFICIAL website news release, EARLY summer. In addition, in some countries it is illegal to say "coming soon", if you cannot get an item finalized within 2 weeks of posting the item as coming soon. It is called consumer fraud. Too bad North America and Europe is sooo open to big companies.

Early summer is fading away and I wish the RIM lovers admit to the fact the PHONE IS DELAYED. Early summer is NOT sept 23rd. Period.
    maevinj likes this.
    06-09-11 09:55 PM
    In addition, in some countries it is illegal to say "coming soon", if you cannot get an item finalized within 2 weeks of posting the item as coming soon. It is called consumer fraud.
    Whatever countries call it fraud when RIM has not received anything of value, are really messed up. It's not like the phones have been paid for.

06-09-11 10:26 PM
    Why would RIM delay its flagship business device, targeted for business for a kids back to school special?
    Makes no sense to me and I call BS on this one.
    06-09-11 11:45 PM
    Those of you who love to defend RIM saying that "release will be summer" is just running around in circles. RIM specifically posted ON THEIR OFFICIAL website news release, EARLY summer. In addition, in some countries it is illegal to say "coming soon", if you cannot get an item finalized within 2 weeks of posting the item as coming soon. It is called consumer fraud. Too bad North America and Europe is sooo open to big companies.

Early summer is fading away and I wish the RIM lovers admit to the fact the PHONE IS DELAYED. Early summer is NOT sept 23rd. Period.
    hmm by that logic then... early summer would be the 1st month of summer... aka june 21st to july 21st... so fading away?? from from it...

i dont get where you get delayed from?? its not even summer yet. not even early summer as you say... so NOT DELAYED
    06-09-11 11:52 PM
    Why would RIM delay its flagship business device, targeted for business for a kids back to school special?
    good point... never thought about it that way... unless back to school could be more targeted towards university students...
    06-09-11 11:54 PM
    That's exactly what I thought.
    The 9900 for school kids and teenagers?
    Give me a break
    06-10-11 05:29 AM
    Those of you who love to defend RIM saying that "release will be summer" is just running around in circles. RIM specifically posted ON THEIR OFFICIAL website news release, EARLY summer... blah, BS, blah
    Get your facts right mss-ca, FFS!

RIM have NEVER stated EARLY summer ANYWHERE!!!

Their official wording is, and has always been as follows:-

"Availability - The new BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 smartphones are expected to be available from carriers around the world beginning this summer."

As others have said, it's not summer yet... not even 'early' summer, so it's NOT delayed!!!

06-10-11 05:40 AM
    OK, it's not even SUMMER yet, how can it be fading away?!?! Merciful God!!!!

06-10-11 06:48 AM
    That's exactly what I thought.
    The 9900 for school kids and teenagers?
    Give me a break
    WTF? Where have you all been? Blackberry is known for being popular with young kids because of the keyboard and BBM. So I could definitely understand why they would delay it for back to school.

This is my biggest issue. I have never looked at the BB as a "corporate" phone. It's for everyone. I have never gotten why they market it that way...
    06-10-11 09:07 AM
    I wonder if we'll hear anything from RIM before thier June 16th stockholders meeting? I would think that RIM or the carriers will release some kind of information by June 30th, about either a carrier release date(s) or worst case senerio, an official statement of a delay of the Bold 9900/9930 and give the reason. IMO, I'm still thinking unless otherwise stated by RIM or the carriers, mid-July for the major US carriers and possibley a few weeks earlier for Canada and UK.
    06-10-11 09:16 AM
    I wonder if we'll hear anything from RIM before thier June 16th stockholders meeting? I would think that RIM or the carriers will release some kind of information by June 30th, about either a carrier release date(s) or worst case senerio, an official statement of a delay of the Bold 9900/9930 and give the reason. IMO, I'm still thinking unless otherwise stated by RIM or the carriers, mid-July for the major US carriers and possibley a few weeks earlier for Canada and UK.
    Its almost a gurantee that we'll hear something on the 16th during their meeting. Stockholders should be, if they aren't already, demanding some updates on whats going on. They built up all this hype or maybe we the consummers did, but either way RIM needs to provide some answers.
    06-10-11 09:45 AM
    WTF? Where have you all been? Blackberry is known for being popular with young kids because of the keyboard and BBM. So I could definitely understand why they would delay it for back to school.

This is my biggest issue. I have never looked at the BB as a "corporate" phone. It's for everyone. I have never gotten why they market it that way...
    I know.
    But my emphasis was on the specific model of "9900".
    School kids and teenagers tend to pick up lesser models such as curve etc. But you never know. Today's kids are rich (not necessarily famous) and pick up the top model But if RIM thought that they could target this particular demographics and sell tons of this particular model in a "back to school" promotion period, I thought it was odd, casting the doubt on the validity of this rumour of September release.
    Last edited by xanadome; 06-10-11 at 12:12 PM.
    06-10-11 10:17 AM
    I know.
    But my emphasis was on the "9900".
    School kids and teenagers tend to pick up lesser models such as curve etc. But you never know. Today's kids are rich (not necessarily famous) and pick u the top model But if RIM thought that they thought they could target this particular demography and sell tons of this particular model in "back to school" promotion period, I thought it was odd.
    I see where you are coming from. I think your opinion on this is related to how RIM has thought to market historically. I'm not saying you are wrong because they obviously have been successful in the US for that reason. But when you look at their global growth, it really has nothing to do with their business features.

This is why I maintain the fact that RIM needs to market to both demographics because this is where the shift in the smartphone market has gone. Hence why people are moving to other platforms because they consistently say that their phones are good for work or play. (Watch the Xperia play commercials on youtube. they say it multiple times.)

So they should have ads on MTV, Glee, etc. geared towards kids. Then they should have the phones on Fox News, CNN etc. geared towards business users (however they need to stress the multimedia features as well as the business features in these ads.)
    MaxiumGrimm likes this.
    06-10-11 10:41 AM
136 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD