i was on the phone with Rogers today complaining about my bill. After resolving that, I asked the girl when the next Blackberry is coming out. She told me the next Bold is coming in July. But then she also said it will be touch screen with no keyboard so I put very little value in what she said. Maybe she heard touch screen and assumed no keyboard and it really IS coming in July. I can dream.
    I hope you are right.
    05-31-11 12:32 AM
    i was on the phone with Rogers today complaining about my bill. After resolving that, I asked the girl when the next Blackberry is coming out. She told me the next Bold is coming in July. But then she also said it will be touch screen with no keyboard so I put very little value in what she said. Maybe she heard touch screen and assumed no keyboard and it really IS coming in July. I can dream.
    Maybe she meant the full touchscreen Curve that has yet to be officially announced. Haven't we heard July as a rumored release date for that on the most recently leaked T-Mobile roadmap? Maybe Rogers will release on a similar timeline.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 12:57 AM
    I'm not surprised that it won't be out by August, but I am disappointed. I'm still rocking the 8330 on Sprint because it has been a loyal, never-say die phone, but it is on its last leg, multiple resets each week and sometimes in one day. So, I was really looking for this phone to hit the market early-to-mid summer rather that mid-to-late summer. I'm just disappointed that RIM still doesn't see that when they announce a product, it should have a timely release. We've seen it with multiple BB's, most recently the Playbook iterations still have not been fully released. As a customer, you expect; phone announcement, release date announcement, and release to be within a timely manner. Just a disappointed BB supporter here, and if my phone dies off anymore, I am afraid I will heading to android.
    05-31-11 08:05 AM
    ok let me step in here again

i dont think RIM is the issue right now... from what has been leaked and such this phone has been in field testing with the carriers for a while... normally when RIM announces something its ready to go shortly after (with the exception of the playbook, that was just pure teasing and them dangling it in our faces like a fat kid and chocolate cake)... so i think the issue with the release is the carriers not getting there butts in gear, approving things and getting it out the door... how many times have we seen devices pushed back because the carrier wasnt happy with something

what RIM needs to do is get away from the carriers in that regard, like alot of us have been saying for the longest time. And i think that will change with QNX where RIM wont have to have the carriers approve OSs. essentially the carrier will approve the main OS and then RIM pushes out fixes and such...

anyways... like i was saying i think the main issue now is the carriers taking there sweet time with approving the thing hence why they give the timeframe of summertime, because each carrier will release it at different times... at&t may release it on august 15th, but Rogers may release before that... hence they give the time frame....
    I don't understand how people are OK with rim promising QNX os7 for mobile phones to go side by side with the playbook, and instead they put lipstick on 5.0, called it 6.0, then they decided to call in makeup artist and put eyeliner and blush on it , cann it os6.1.. And now they changed theyr mind, we can't have the playbook os for (indefinite? Lol) but what we can have, is leftover screens cameras from blackberrys and yesterdays top of the line processors.. And they are calling it OS7.. 9900 is a 9000 with lots of makeup and 1 less convience key.. Where is qnxos7? And why are more java based OS's coming out after the release of the playbook?

This year should have been the year of RIM QNX,but instead its 2008 re-re-revamped.. Who wats the 9790..? Lol.. Form isn't the problem, its the fact that they are showing us what is possible and giving us some other ****..

Rant over :\ I been standing behing BB because it is the only platform that allows me to do EVERYTHING within hardware limits.. But um,, why can't the next gen BB do anything new that the playbook easily accomplishes? Like bbm video, skype, actual multi processing without compromise? They showed the world it is possible, andd to fund it they want us to buy leftovers?? .. Rogers screwed me on an upgrade, they say my torch is a premium phone, I have to wait 30 months to upgrade.. But really? Atleast maybe I can sleep for 30 months, and when wake up Ill pull out my stone age (with modern paint) 9800 check the forums, and QNX will finally be in a phone. But even then, does anyone thing google is waiting for RIM to put QNX os in phones to beat them to the punch? RIM brags a lot for a company that's bark is bigger than its bite.. What happened to first dual core processor in a tablet. Mayb first vaporware.. Where's ghostbusters when you need em..

Sorry I just need my QNX os7 9900 with 2 convience keys, a front facing camera. Don't need to os 5.0 matrix reloaded with a better camera and nfc.. Rim needs to stop attacking its new customer base and focus on their loyalties.. Its like they don't want to win, just to compete.

Rant rele over..

05-31-11 10:44 AM
    Oh well. Guess I better get the 9780 to hold me over (damn RAM issue in OS 6!) till when the 9900 actually does come out. If August/September for top-tier operators, than at least November/December or later for 2nd tier like T-Mobile, etc.
    05-31-11 11:47 AM
    this is irritating to me for the fact that I am still running a Bold 9000, I have been able to get an upgrade since Feb. or so, I saw that this device is coming out so I have held off getting a new device, I like blackberry enough to wait, but this phone is falling apart... all of the new droid phones are coming out and they look nice, im still holding out on this new phone, but it does feel as though RIM is dragging its feet, at this point a solid release date would let me know how much longer this phone needs to last me- I know they are doing what they need to do as a company, if they are holding off on releasing a device there is a good reason, I just wish they would share it with us, instead of leaking information, or leaving it up to us to ponder
    06-04-11 01:19 PM
    this is irritating to me for the fact that I am still running a Bold 9000, I have been able to get an upgrade since Feb. or so, I saw that this device is coming out so I have held off getting a new device, I like blackberry enough to wait, but this phone is falling apart... all of the new droid phones are coming out and they look nice, im still holding out on this new phone, but it does feel as though RIM is dragging its feet, at this point a solid release date would let me know how much longer this phone needs to last me- I know they are doing what they need to do as a company, if they are holding off on releasing a device there is a good reason, I just wish they would share it with us, instead of leaking information, or leaving it up to us to ponder
    This is true and I agree with you. I don't know what type of people run the RIM because anyone with a common IQ will know that in a hot competitive smartphone market RIM has to give clear directions to its customers like me (and even cooperate customers). If not, there will be a lot of revenue going to some other company. I wonder if a little kid run the RIM's marketing department.
    06-04-11 01:29 PM
    This is true and I agree with you. I don't know what type of people run the RIM because anyone with a common IQ will know that in a hot competitive smartphone market RIM has to give clear directions to its customers like me (and even cooperate customers). If not, there will be a lot of revenue going to some other company. I wonder if a little kid run the RIM's marketing department.
    To be fair RIM said it would launch this summer. As long as it is out before September 23 they will have kept their promise. I want this phone as much as you guys but they don't need to explain anything to us.
    06-04-11 01:35 PM
    when the 9700 came out and all of the updated bolds were released, i was disapointed because the specs were not enough for me to upgrade, and rim has not released a phone to date that i wanted to own after the bold 9000, i thought the torch 1 would be, but the specs on it were not worthy of an upgrade, and playing around with one i didnt want one... now its just a waiting game, most of the people i know who have had blackberries over time have gone to Iphone, Droid, and they like the phones they have, i like my blackberry but its ready to be replaced, i just hope RIM will release a phone worthy of me staying a customer...
    06-04-11 01:39 PM
    your right they dont owe us anything, but they should because we are customers, and are waiting for to spend our money on a product they make... they dont want us going to iphone or droid or whatever other kind of phones, if im willing to wait for a phone and spend my hard earned money on a RIM device they could give us a heads up...
    06-04-11 01:47 PM
    To be fair RIM said it would launch this summer. As long as it is out before September 23 they will have kept their promise. I want this phone as much as you guys but they don't need to explain anything to us.
    No... I didn't mean that RIM delay the phone in terms of dates. But however, in general a company should NOT officially announce a new item even on their website as "coming soon" and then run this "coming soon" for a month. It is just bad for marketing in my POV. Officially saying that it will be out soon is completely different from leaked information. For example, we know that iPhone5 is coming out soon through LEAKED info. Apple has not officially said anything and may be they are field testing them too.... RIM goes out and officially announce items as coming soon, then the consumers has to wait 3 months to get it? That is bad management right there.

It is different when a company say coming soon and wait 3 months vs. leaked information on coming soon devices. In fact, in some countries there are laws that state a company cannot say coming soon, if they cannot get it out by certain number of weeks. They MUST issue official reasons if a product is delayed for some unforeseen reasons. Well, one can consider RIM's official page with "coming soon" as consumer fraud OR misleading consumers. Simple as that.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 06-04-11 at 01:55 PM.
    06-04-11 01:52 PM
    i see Coming soon on the site, and they say summer release, i think ok i dont have that long to wait, then i see september, yes this is still summer, but its the very end of summer, and saying first week of may the device is coming soon. soon september is not
    its all silly really to be upset about a phone and when its going to come out, but at the same time, i more than want a new phone, i need a new phone... i see coming soon on a device that i would like to have, how long should i have to wait, before going to a different device?
    06-04-11 02:05 PM
    This freakin SUCKS
    06-04-11 02:08 PM
    It seems to me Rim's top management has lost it. Rim is a year & half behind the other phone manufactures on the hardware side & even more so on the software. They have lost focus on what the phone industry is doing. Rim wanted to run the same old hardware & sell in the over seas market's of the revolving country's. In a national survey 39% of the people that now have Blackberry's said they would leave Blackberry for a I phone or a Android.

Last edited by jerry12; 06-04-11 at 02:40 PM.
    mssca and howarmat like this.
    06-04-11 02:35 PM
    when it comes to RIM i dont look at the devices as behind, they are not as flashy and resource hungry as some of the other phones, thats ok, if i wanted one of those phones i would get one, when it comes to RIM i like how the phones do what i want and need them to do, i dont need 500,000 apps that do pointless things that i wont ever use, i need a handful of really good apps that i will use to get me through different parts of my day- i want to stick with RIM... RIM just has to let me by releasing phones
    06-04-11 02:49 PM
    when it comes to RIM i dont look at the devices as behind, they are not as flashy and resource hungry as some of the other phones, thats ok, if i wanted one of those phones i would get one, when it comes to RIM i like how the phones do what i want and need them to do, i dont need 500,000 apps that do pointless things that i wont ever use, i need a handful of really good apps that i will use to get me through different parts of my day- i want to stick with RIM... RIM just has to let me by releasing phones
    Same here. I mostly use the core apps and can live without bunches of 3rd party apps. Web browser is the only thing I have ever really thought was glaringly sub par.

But I am not sure there are enough customers like us (me) to keep RIM going and financially strong.

One bright spot is RIM seems to be holding on to more marketshare than one might expect at this point. There is a lot of loyalty.

06-04-11 03:36 PM
    I don't need a lot of apps myself just a few good one's but Rim's Hardware is dated when you look at what is on the market. It is ok that you are happy but when you see Rim's stock then it is saying a lot of people are not happy with Rim's old Hardware. Blackberry is a good phone for emails but the market has moved beyond that its about data video & other things that Rim is behind on. A few years ago the BlackBerry was the to have phone it was cutting edge but now the market changed & Blavkberry has not changed. Rim put all there research in the Playbook & let there core Phone's fall behind. For any one that is content with the Blackberry's they now have that is fine but the stock market is saying that people are not happy with Rim.

mssca likes this.
    06-04-11 03:49 PM
    That and the browser being a cruel, sadistic joke and you have a doomed consumer device. I ask so very little of mine, and still it manages to fall short somehow. If I had to suggest a fix it would be to drop BIS and let the phone do it's thing unimpeded. Keep BES phones for the corp clients, or people who want to BBM and can live with the baggage BIS carries. Love the phone, hate the BIS bottleneck. I can't be alone.
    06-04-11 04:26 PM
    SO FREAKING TYPICAL OF RIM. Used to be a big BB fan but as each year comes and goes and because of the less than modern hardware/devices i am waivering my faith! RIM get your devices out in decent time. Playbook is so so, took it back. iPad superior except flash, but at least it works and apps rock. still got my 9780 and won't be giving up soon, but get your **** together and bring out some decent hardware for a change.
    06-05-11 10:44 AM
    This is why rim is getting smoked, they come out with new devices far after the expected release date and then when they do finally release them the hardware in them is far outdated. 9900 and torch 2 and finally somewhat (still outdated by comparison 1 core vs 2 on competition) but at least it's close. And of course like typical rim they delay it. By the time they release it (august) tmobile will have 4 dual core androids or more with 8 megapxel shooters and 1080p video recording. And rim will have the 9900 single core 2 months late. us government is now allowing it's users to use other devices than blackberry's now. Rim keeps it up they are going to disappear. Shame, I love my 9700 but it's hardware and apps make more and mor painful to uses as a daily driver. If I didn't use my blackberry for work I'd probably rock my android solo. Wake up rim 2011 is calling.
    06-05-11 05:13 PM
    That and the browser being a cruel, sadistic joke and you have a doomed consumer device. I ask so very little of mine, and still it manages to fall short somehow. If I had to suggest a fix it would be to drop BIS and let the phone do it's thing unimpeded. Keep BES phones for the corp clients, or people who want to BBM and can live with the baggage BIS carries. Love the phone, hate the BIS bottleneck. I can't be alone.
    RIM drops BIS and say good bye to their good push functionality. But that they should make the browser work directly with the carrier's network with no extra servers in between is a good idea, it would improve speed and latency, keeping BIS for other minor apps that don't require high speed connectivity. Which is why 4G will be an utter failure in blackberry devices if they dont change this (:
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-05-11 at 06:15 PM.
    06-05-11 06:08 PM
    bingo!! rim is smart... why release hardware that runs out the battery in less then half a day aka android... i myself got a nexus s for fun... well i returned that the next day because he battery life was horrendous... lasted me 5 hours for a full charge on light useage.... now my bb lasts me a full day of heavy usage
    06-05-11 10:50 PM
    my god people! once again its the carrier that is essentially delaying at this point... rim has released the hardware to the carriers and now it ups to the carriers to release it to us... stop blaming rim for this... right now its in the carriers hands for testing and release...

and fyi the hardware on these new devices are not that far behind... dual cores chip sets drain batteries fast... so whatever
    06-05-11 10:58 PM
    bingo!! rim is smart... why release hardware that runs out the battery in less then half a day aka android... i myself got a nexus s for fun... well i returned that the next day because he battery life was horrendous... lasted me 5 hours for a full charge on light useage.... now my bb lasts me a full day of heavy usage
    Agreed. I was helping a customer today where I work. She had a Droid Incredible (new). She was talking about how much she liked it. So then I asked her.. How's the battery life. She started saying she could go through the work day on a charge. But then she admitted she actually plugs it in at work to "get through the day". Some people don't mind that. I have friends that have Android phones and they always seem to be hunting for an AC outlet. They are fine with it for the functionality they seem to need.

06-05-11 11:04 PM
    Agreed. I was helping a customer today where I work. She had a Droid Incredible (new). She was talking about how much she liked it. So then I asked her.. How's the battery life. She started saying she could go through the work day on a charge. But then she admitted she actually plugs it in at work to "get through the day". Some people don't mind that. I have friends that have Android phones and they always seem to be hunting for an AC outlet. They are fine with it for the functionality they seem to need.

I've told the story before of being on a software installation in L.A. earlier this year, and having my contractor lead running out of battery and needing to plug in halfway through the day. Because he's a contractor he's not on our network and he is able to use his own device, which was a Droid 2. When I told the story the nice folks told me I was exaggerating and the not so nice ones told me I was lying.
    Fast forward to April when I bought an Atrix as an impulse. Well, my experience was that this Atrix with a "great battery life for an Android" did not get me beyond 13-14 hours usage. When I reported that, I got the "well, MY Atrix lasts (fill in the blank) completely discounting what I myself had experienced on my own device.
    There are some of us who value battery life. To us, it is no less important than Angry Birds is for other folks.
    06-06-11 07:01 AM
136 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD