Yep. All true. I think if this phone doesn't show up before the end of June I'll pass on the Bold 9900 and get something that's actually out there. I'll then look at BB again when the QNX phones roll out, in 2015 or something.

Sorry I sound cynical but this is just really disappointing. It seems RIM is pulling the same crap HP is pulling. They announced cool new devices in February, made them look 'ready to go' while in reality there were many months of work ahead.

I have to give this one to Steve Jobs. When he announces a device it's actually ready and not in some sort of half-a$$ed prototype phase. Apparently no one else is able to do this besides him. Bleh.
    zurch likes this.
    05-28-11 02:12 PM
    Sounds like they're going to end up releasing it head to head (or almost head to head) with the dual core iPhone and droids. :\
    05-28-11 03:12 PM
    Nobody here NEEDS a 9900, you're all just impatient chumps who want it. Get over it, its a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    barrist likes this.
    05-28-11 03:19 PM
    Nobody here NEEDS a 9900, you're all just impatient chumps who want it. Get over it, its a phone.

Says the guy who has the most recent BB on the market... Dude you realize many of us are rocking the 9700 and lower? how about you let us talk about how we want it because it is something that helps us get over the wait. No one wants to hear you talking down to all of us for absolutely no reason, so what exactly is the use in you saying that? Grow up kid.

OH AND NOT TO MENTION, looked at your posts, this one look familiar?
    "i will most likely be paying full retail since i just renewed my contract last august for the iphone 4.. then sold it a few months later and bought the 9780 when it came out"

The kid that is going to buy the 9900 at full retail price because his contract is up BECAUSE he keeps buying the phones the second they come out.

Many of us here have contracts that are UP and you are sitting there with the most recent BlackBerry without a contract renewal and saying that we are the impatient ones.. LMFAO!

(don't talk sh*t to the majority of the CrackBerry community and not expect to get ripped to shreds, do you have any useful posts? 309 posts and only 5 thanks.. Maybe you belong on the Droid or iPhone forums)
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-28-11 at 03:41 PM.
    mssca, meganVee, sg8330 and 2 others like this.
    05-28-11 03:32 PM
    Well your choices are wrong because there is a 3rd one as well, it's: have it out at a reasonable time without many bugs. Once again it's just poor execution/management.

Also Jobs doesn't get bashed for it because he's an already established genius when it comes to marketing, if he thinks releasing in September will be better for them then there is absolutely no reason to deny that. It's also a different situation because in June Apple is about to release a huge update to the iOS platform which should revitalize those phones for a while, also consider the fact that a lot of people are just recently getting the iPhone 4 because its release in Verizon this year. I don't think it will disappoint many people to wait 3 months. RIM on the other hand isn't that good marketing, isn't offering a bit OS update earlier, and hasn't established the fact that they know what they're doing when it comes to selling massive amounts in NA.

Should be funny to see how it all works out.
    I gree they could get it right the first time release a stable finished o.s. and in a timely manner if they cant then they need to find developers who can .
    05-28-11 08:29 PM
    I honestly don't see why you guys are calling this a delay. Since day 1 RIM has said mid summer, and from what I've been reading here on CB its always been mid to end of august.

So how is this a delay? Just because you guys WANT it now, doesn't mean you NEED it now. Like someone before me said "It's a phone, you don't need it now, get over it".

Ooh and by the way to the guy who ripped the other guy apart for that comment. I have more thanks then you have posts, so lets not even go there.
    barrist likes this.
    05-29-11 07:17 AM
    Since they have announced it they have set an expectation that it would be out soon. If they or the carriers announced a date things would settle down.

I do wonder why RIM feels the need to unveil it well before the carriers feel a need to announce it.
    05-29-11 09:13 AM
    Says the guy who has the most recent BB on the market... Dude you realize many of us are rocking the 9700 and lower? how about you let us talk about how we want it because it is something that helps us get over the wait. No one wants to hear you talking down to all of us for absolutely no reason, so what exactly is the use in you saying that? Grow up kid.

OH AND NOT TO MENTION, looked at your posts, this one look familiar?
    "i will most likely be paying full retail since i just renewed my contract last august for the iphone 4.. then sold it a few months later and bought the 9780 when it came out"

The kid that is going to buy the 9900 at full retail price because his contract is up BECAUSE he keeps buying the phones the second they come out.

Many of us here have contracts that are UP and you are sitting there with the most recent BlackBerry without a contract renewal and saying that we are the impatient ones.. LMFAO!

(don't talk sh*t to the majority of the CrackBerry community and not expect to get ripped to shreds, do you have any useful posts? 309 posts and only 5 thanks.. Maybe you belong on the Droid or iPhone forums)
    How does buying the phone at full retail when it comes out make me impatient.. Not to mention you tell me to "grow up", then go on a massive rant because apparantly you take that much offence to being called impatent. "Grow up, kid".

barrist likes this.
    05-29-11 10:40 AM
    I honestly don't see why you guys are calling this a delay. Since day 1 RIM has said mid summer, and from what I've been reading here on CB its always been mid to end of august.

So how is this a delay? Just because you guys WANT it now, doesn't mean you NEED it now. Like someone before me said "It's a phone, you don't need it now, get over it".

Ooh and by the way to the guy who ripped the other guy apart for that comment. I have more thanks then you have posts, so lets not even go there.
    Exactly. Thank you.

05-29-11 10:42 AM
    Well, let's face it and be honest to yourself (and myself). As a recent convert, I was (and still am) looking forward to the 9900, which is closer to what IP4 can do. I do love candy bar style with QWERTY and hierarchical menu, however archaic it may be.
    But [RIM cannot over-promise and under-deliver too many times], which is one thing I am experiencing first hand since I joined this community last year. PB is a good example. Looks very weird to me.

I know people don't want to hear this but I have to give this to His Excellency Steve. Apple normally don't hype up any unannounced devices. Media do it for them. But once they do announce, they are ver clear and no nonsense, specifying the definitive release date even down to the hour/minute, which is usually within a month, and deliver it absolutely with no delay.
    I rather prefer that style than getting constantly teased by RIM for vapourware, just to let them buy time to their advantage at the sacrifice of us, the users. It's not fair.

Nonetheless, I am still looking forward to the 9900 (but I need a wifi hotspot capability, which IP4 already has and I use it a lot).

Sigh..., but I guess I just have to be patient. RIM, just shut up and deliver please. If you cannot, please don't say anything, nor "leak" anything until things become certain (what's the point of "leaking" OS7 that nobody can use now?). No more 3rd world style marketing please.
    05-29-11 10:42 AM
    Apple normally don't hype up any unannounced devices. Media do it for them. But once they do announce, they are ver clear and no nonsense, specifying the definitive release date even down to the hour/minute, which is usually within a month, and deliver it absolutely with no delay.
    Please allow me to rant one more thing (Boy, am I frustrated :-).
    Apple can do that as I believe it is the manifestation of their confidence, which of course translates into "our" confidence in them. Apple talk the talk, and they deliver.

The most important thing that RIM lose is not the sales, but the customer confidence.
    05-29-11 10:55 AM
    if true it just shows the ineptitude of RIM, a shareholder revolt must be around the corner.

Viva BlackBerry (shame about the owners).
    05-29-11 11:07 AM

Sorry but this is just....wrong. When a company goes out of their way to dedicate their single biggest event of the year to the unveiling of a single phone, they open up the pandora's box of expectations. We didn't ask them to do that, they weren't forced to do that, they did it on their own volition. The very fact that you think that doesn't come with many many expectations is puzzling.

They already failed in not announcing a release date when they unveiled the phone, although that is super ridiculous in itself, lets ignore that for a second and assume that maybe something last minute happened and they didn't have a date nailed down. But a possible release that is 4-5 months after the unveiling on your biggest stage of the year? That's laughable. Especially the phone isn't exactly cutting edge here.

It's one thing for the managers of RIM to live in some sort of weird fantastical bubble where they think everything is A-OK but I expect as consumers that we should step out of it and hold them accountable where it's acceptable. And given how this unfolded, it is definitely acceptable to do so. Once again, they brought these expectations unto themselves and I can't believe you're judging people for having them. Though you're probably right, this is RIM, I guess it's our fault we keep expecting more of them and they keep being unable to meet any of it.

Once again this isn't anyone hating on RIM, it's just being disappointed in them....again.
    Last edited by dooodads; 05-29-11 at 11:20 AM.
    leftypepper716 and abass like this.
    05-29-11 11:17 AM
    Recent Developer Conference (or whatever it was called) was not exactly the first time this phone was announced. As I understand it, it existed as Dakota for years. Even in a short while since I entered the BB world, the original spec sheet in PDF, various photos, video's and even roadmap presentation etc. have been constantly "leaked". They were obviously originated in RIM themselves.
    Other things I noticed is that this constant "leak" is just the way of life in the BB community. OS5/6 have always been constantly leaked in the revision of "100's". People may be desensitized with this type of modus operandi for years, but I felt very uneasy about it.

They formally announced it, granted that they did say the delivery timeline is this "summer". Once they announced it, I would think that it would be a good corporate courtesy to keep consumers informed. I would rather prefer that they tell us that they needed more time to tweak the S/W before actually getting the phone in our hands etc. That would be so much easier to swallow and I would actually appreciate it.
    RIM should hold consumers by the merits of what they produce, not by vague promises to buy them more time.
    I came this far already and have no choice but to wait. If not for the existence of 9900/Dakota, I would have returned to the IP4 in no time. In that sense, RIM's tricky strategy is working (so far). But I now will certainly have chances to examine other phones that are expected to come out soon before deciding on 9900, including some sort of update of iPhone, be it IP5 or IP4S.

End of rant.
    05-29-11 11:50 AM
    ...I have more thanks then you have posts, so lets not even go there.
    Post count? Thanks? Really? Sorry to go off on you, but that just struck me as the least relevant metric of the value of a thought in the history of human discourse.
    jinxednuance likes this.
    05-29-11 12:26 PM
    Post count? Thanks? Really? Sorry to go off on you, but that just struck me as the least relevant metric of the value of a thought in the history of human discourse.
    lol, that line made me laugh
    05-29-11 12:30 PM
    Wasn't it always said, months ago, that it would be released Q3? To me, that would be November according to RIM's fiscal year. So if it comes out in August, I'm happy.

05-29-11 12:42 PM
    lol, that line made me laugh
    Is pin sharing anything like needle sharing?
    05-29-11 12:50 PM
    I see a lot of life preservers being thrown in the water.
    05-29-11 02:30 PM
    How does buying the phone at full retail when it comes out make me impatient.. Not to mention you tell me to "grow up", then go on a massive rant because apparantly you take that much offence to being called impatent. "Grow up, kid".

You are entirely a hypocrite. How many people agreed with my post? At least 4 of the people who read it. No one wants to hear your crap about how we are all impatient because we want a new phone. Just leave, you are adding nothing beneficial to this discussion.

That was about 1/100th of my point in that post? Congrats for your useful posts? I mean what do you want from me? I was merely stating a fact that looking back on that guys track record, he has has little to no useful posts. Many just complaining about the CrackBerry community. And congrats that you have 24x as many posts as me too? I don't understand your theory.. I would hope that you have more "thanks" seeing as you have 2400 posts? I guess I will congratulate you again for pointing out the obvious?

I mean I'm sure I would get many more "thanks" too if I advertised it in my signature? I don't care about "thanks" anywhere close to how much you do OBVIOUSLY because I feel I will get "thanked" without asking people to thank me if my post is helpful. You on the other hand are telling people "Hey hey, look at me! You should thank me!! Its right down there to the right, click that button!!" >.>

ANYWAYS, back on subject

I wouldn't exactly call it a delay either.. A delay requires a set in stone RELEASE DATE by the business (RIM) and then pushed back to a later date for some reason. This phone does not have a set in stone release date, it was only said "summer" by them, so the word "delay" is not exactly the best for this occasion. If a company says a phone is getting released sometime this summer and they even go to carriers and say "don't sell it yet, sell it august" or whatever, it is still not a "delay" exactly. The phone is still getting released during summer like they said it would be.

I would believe that RIM does in fact know what they are doing in the end. Like I said, they are a smart company with millions of dollars.. They have reasoning behind their madness, or else they would not be as big as they are today. All we can do is wait and see what their reasoning was though.

Sigh..., but I guess I just have to be patient. RIM, just shut up and deliver please. If you cannot, please don't say anything, nor "leak" anything until things become certain (what's the point of "leaking" OS7 that nobody can use now?). No more 3rd world style marketing please.
    I agree, their marketing strategy is not exactly the best so it seems, but some people see that OS7 was leaked and it does get them excited and keep them tied to the new line of phones coming out. I mean imagine if NO information was released at all within this past month about the new phones. Many people would entirely lose interest and jump ship. I don't exactly like what they are doing, but it is keeping some people on the edge about these phones stay there a bit longer and not jump to Droid or Apple just yet.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 05-29-11 at 03:34 PM.
    05-29-11 03:07 PM
    OK, I will be the first to admit my expectations were based on my own perceptions of what would imho be prudent business. I truly wanted this phone, but I am washing my hands of RIM. I will keep my iPhone and become a fan-boy.
    05-29-11 07:45 PM

and Jobs is no better or worse when it comes to the media... if that were the case a new iphone would be coming already, but rumors say it wont be out till sept... well how is jobs not getting ripped for this... know what i mean...

anyways... my 2cents
    Steve Jobs hasn't announced the iPhones 4S or 5 or whatever yet. RIM not only announced this device but dedicated their entire BBWorld event to it.... only to release it 2 or 3 months later?? NOT a good move any way you look at it. In fact, it's a pretty horrible move any way you slice it. They have most likely lost my business because of this. I want the 9900 so badly, but unfortunately my 8330 is just not with the times anymore and as much as I love the blackberry platform, I'm going to have to play the field here and cut my loses on an iPhone or Droid... Very sad about this. I really wanted this phone but I cannot realistically wait two or three more months for a new phone.
    05-29-11 09:33 PM
    Im not happy with RIMs teasing here cuz thats what it looks like to me. They did that with the playbook too (6 months of wait??) idk why they'd think of delaying their next flagship device when the competition is getting more fierce everyday...
    05-29-11 10:30 PM
    I think everyone should just relax a bit here. RIM said the release date was in the summer. As others have said before the summer is from June 21st - Sept. 21st. If it gets released in early Sept, RIM did not go back on their word. There hasn't been any official announcement from RIM stating any delays beyond Sept. You want to talk about let downs? I guess you guys haven't dealt with Nokia eh?

In terms of the Playbook being delayed. It was delayed because of a lawsuit with Apple. RIM was scheduled to release the Playbook in Q1, but the lawsuit held it back. And when RIM finally released the Playbook they are getting a lot of flack for no email client, calendar and Android apps doesn't work on it yet. IF the 9900 is delayed, maybe they learned from the mistakes they made from the Playbook.

As for Apple. There won't be an iPhone5 this year. They're releasing the iPhone4S. Everything is the same except it will have a dual core processor and the antenna is fixed. Everyone who I have talked to who owns and iPhone4 aren't even going to bother with the upgrade.

For those who plan on ditching RIM because of......??? Sure I wish the 9900 would be out by the end of June. Did RIM say it was going to be out by the end of June? I don't recall ever reading that. I'm staying with RIM.
    knowledge_6 likes this.
    05-29-11 11:28 PM
    I still don't understand the impatience. That RIM built this phone at all is a small miracle. When they put out the 9700 I had assumed their egos would never let them return to a 9000 size device. Good on ya RIM.
    05-29-11 11:46 PM
136 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD