Ok, here is the story. I am in the UK with Virgin Mobile (I won't change mobile network as I am a Virgin Media customer and get discount on Mobile contract).
    So my contract ended few days ago ( I had a HTC Desire then a HTC Radar (Windows Phone), then a Blackberry 9320.
    Even if the 9320 is a basic phone I found it much better for social network and emails than any Android or Windows Phone. I also have an iPad (don't really like iOS so iPhone is a NO) and own a lovely Playbook.
    So I had to choose a phone for my new contract (2 years). VirginMobile won't stock the Z10.I really don't like the Z10 anyway, I find it too Samsung plastic and not as a high standard as Blackberry Bold 9900.
    So my first choice was a 9900 but on a 2 years contract i had some doubt. I didn't really like the other phone on offer with VirginMobile: Don't like Samsung. So three days ago they received the Sony Xperia Z: Full HD screen, 5", Waterproof etc.... So I decided to get it for �34 month with unlimited internet, text, phone etc...
    I love the phone and hate it at the same time:
    What I love:
    Gorgeous design.
    Beautiful Full HD Screen.
    Lovely screen to watch movies etc...
    I hate Android but the Jelly Bean is better than any previous Android.
    NFC
    Good Camera (but I bought for Christmas a Samsung NX Camera at �500 that is amazing so don't really need a great camera on a phone).
    Fast and Snappy.

What I hate:
    After a while it hurts my hand...yes I know! But it's a 5 inches screen!
    Keyboard not the best at all.
    Very bad for email, I keep refreshing email
    The browser can be slow sometimes
    Don't work well with Apple iMAC.
    IT's not a Blackberry..and hasn't got the nice Red light...

So I am thinking to send it back and get the Bold 9900. I know, people must think: Bold 9900 or Xperia Z Full HD! But I use a lot the emails, I am an online seller and I need to be connected all the time.
    During my working hours i Don't really need apps, and games (i have an iPad mini and Playbook for that: by the way...Playbook screen nicer thatn iPad Mini ).
    Am i crazy to sign for 2 years for the Bold 9900?
    Am I crazy to leave one of the most important OS platform (Android) and go back to Blackberry 7.1?
    I think the Bold 9900 is so stylish and easy to use.

Please help......... my hand is ready to call Virginmobile for a return!
    03-03-13 04:40 AM
    Perhaps you should have a look at the Z10...

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    03-03-13 06:30 AM
    I think you should give the Z10 another look.
    4.2' 720p screen fits perfectly in the hand.
    Best virtual keyboard
    Best communication device from blackberry.
    UI that is on par and sometimes exceeds other platforms in terms of multitasking, browsing etc...

Best of all...little red light

Posted via CB10 using BBZ10
    03-03-13 06:40 AM
    Problem is that Virginmobile in the UK won't stock the Z10. And I get very good deal with virginMobile as I am VirginMedia customer. In a way I love the Xperia Z and I think as a 2 years contract it make more sense to have latest phone. In the other way...I think Blackberry is more suitable for my needs. Also as I have a Playbook, I think the Bold 9900 makes more sense! Anyone??? Help! The Return Department at VirginMobile is closed on the Sunday here in the UK so I have until tomorrow to make my decision! There is also something important in favour of the Xperia Z. Even if I don't use apps a lot....the choice on Google Play is huge !
    03-03-13 06:41 AM
    Problem is that Virginmobile in the UK won't stock the Z10. And I get very good deal with virginMobile as I am VirginMedia customer. In a way I love the Xperia Z and I think as a 2 years contract it make more sense to have latest phone. In the other way...I think Blackberry is more suitable for my needs. Also as I have a Playbook, I think the Bold 9900 makes more sense! Anyone??? Help! The Return Department at VirginMobile is closed on the Sunday here in the UK so I have until tomorrow to make my decision! There is also something important in favour of the Xperia Z. Even if I don't use apps a lot....the choice on Google Play is huge !
    I would go with BB9900 to be fair. I came from using Android phone which I loved (Motorola Milestone - phone lasted me for 4 years) and I cant get enough of the 9900. I dont need all the games, dont need to watch movies on the phone, can bridge it with the Playbook and it becomes an ultimate device. The keyboard is fantastic and overall, as a messaging device I think you cant do any better. But thats just my opinion. YOU know what you use the phone for, and at the end of the day you will be using the device for 2 years, chose well.
    03-03-13 06:49 AM
    If you cannot get the Z10, then go with the 9900. As said above, mine bridges perfectly with my playbook and it still posesses far more little goodies than the Z10.
    03-03-13 09:53 AM
    I would get the cost of your congract down. Im with Virgin Uk too, with the 9900. 18 month contract for �15 pm. I did have tbe 9780, contact was almost up, rang Virgin and they gave me a better deal with the upgrade to the 9900. Bearing in.mind the 9900 is anold phone now!
    03-03-13 10:49 AM
    I think I should be able to get the Bold 9900 for �18. The Xperia Z is �34....there is a huge difference!
    03-03-13 11:06 AM
    you can get a brand new unlocked z10 from ebay for under the �480 price they sell at unlocked in the shops (�350-�400 theyre going for now) the black one isnt plasticy it has a rubberyish plastic back for grip and if you dont like it theres a ton of gorgeous premium cases it can go in

however i wouldnt reccommend the 9900 ONLY for the following reasons:
    - small 640x480 screen compared to your hd screen youve been getting used to, might be awful to go back to - i know its hard for me to stare at my bold 9000s screen after eyeing the z10s in the shops
    -screens not big enough to watch movies comfortably
    -not the best camera for close ups as it has no autofocus

however you dont need the camera much so thats a moot point and if you can go back to a smaller screen then 9900 would be great! return your xperia to the store and get the money back from it, get the cheapest crappiest phone you can on contract for the lowest contract pm deal or the cheapest bb avaliable on contract for the bb services, sell it and buy a 9900 from ebay for �90 outright
    03-03-13 11:55 AM
    The Xperia Z had a gorgeous Full HD 5" screen! But the screen of the Bold 9900 isn't bad at all (much smaller of course). I have a Playbook and an iPad Mini so really I watch my youtube videos, movies etc... on the tablets. The Xperia Z is a great phone and the new tablet Xperia Z that is coming looks amazing too. But what I feel is that as a phone I find it too big and as I use a lot emails to reply to my customer, the keyboard on the Xperia Z is actually very bad. I looked at 9900 on Ebay second hand but I always prefer something new. I was going for the Bold 9900 anyway, but on the last minute they receive the Xperia Z. It is a bit like driving the latest car with all the latest technology but not comfy to drive, or driving an older car with less technology, less power but which is actually very good to drive! I think I will go with the Bold 9900 and save money and give back the Xperia Z...but each time i look at the Xperia Z i think...what an amazing screen and fast phone...but not for what I need.
    Acidwire likes this.
    03-03-13 01:20 PM
    you know it makes sense
    03-03-13 02:01 PM
    Well, I took my decision and called Virgin Mobile today. I should get it tomorrow.
    It hasn't been easy because today I spend half an hour at O2 and looked and played with the Bold 9900 and of course...it stopped and restarted itself. Not the best impression but I am aware about that Blackberry problem.
    The Xperia Z is probably the best phone right now but it is not for me. Lovely screen, very powerful but I find android full of bugs stills. And not comfy to hold. This is a shame because I really wanted to love this phone but it is not for me.
    Also I have the Playbook so the 9900 works very well with the 9900. I read also about so many 9900 bricked. Is it still happening?
    Thanks for all your help!
    03-04-13 11:45 AM
    Had my 9900 for over a year now, and not one problem whats so ever. I use BL hybrid, shrink out what I dont need. I have good battery life, well can get through a full day; maybe give it a boost if heavy use. Memory leak is virtually none existent - 1.5mb over 3 days. I charge my phone over night, put it into stand by and charge. Maybe do a soft reset every 4 days or so.
    The 9900 is a fantastic piece of kit, does everything i want it to do, and does it well. Yes it doesnt have the quantity of apps as IOS or Android, but I dont have the need for Skype, Netflix or Instagram. I know its a pain reading long documents, but even a 5" screen would be painful. I have my PlayBook I can use for that. It makes a great SatNav using M8 in the UK.
    There have been problems with the 9900 in the past and it seems like most of these are sorted; just look at recent posts, very few about bricked devices. A lot of problems now tend to be network related or user errors. And at the end of the day theres no such thing as the perfect phone, only the phone that suits your needs
    Last edited by BigwhiteUK; 03-04-13 at 03:30 PM.
    03-04-13 02:57 PM
    You must be high on crack or something. You could've just loaded up a different browser like chrome, or got a third party email client from the Google Play store.
    03-05-13 02:01 AM
    Perhaps you should have a look at the Z10...

Posted via CB10 from Z10
    OP said he does not like it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-05-13 02:12 AM
    OP you did the right thing. If you already have an ipad and playbook but handle a lot of messages you need a good physical keyboard. The 9900 has the best one ever. I expect the Q10 will be even better but that is a ways off.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    03-05-13 02:15 AM
    I have been thingking about xperia z as well, just for curiousity, but i can't trust android for work and day to day email and of course no bbm for Android.
    You made the right choice for going to 9900 but i believe z10 is perfect..best for both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-13 02:20 AM
    DJ Latino...I am not high on crack!! The Xperia Z is probably one of the most beautiful device that I have seen in a long time. But it is not right for me. Android 4.1 still buggy, email with gmail not so good, keyboard not the best and chrome is ok but not amazing and when you have a 5" device with an amazing screen as the Xperia Z you really want a perfect browser.
    So, that's the reason why the Sony Xperia Z is not for me. But if you like Apps, great screen, games etc.....I recommend without a doubt the Xperia Z. But as I have a Playbook the Bold 9900 makes more sense. And I also have an iPad mini so if I want extra apps.....no problem!!
    Can't wait for the delivery now!
    03-05-13 04:21 AM
    if the bb10 phones wont do it for you, then no youre not crazy. youre an online seller, and this is a tool you need. just like students need pens
    03-05-13 07:24 AM
    I received yesterday afternoon my brand new Blackberry 9900. And guess what? I love it. I find it much better than the Xperia Z and much nicer. That's a very nice phone to hold. And the keyboard.....Amazing.
    I am going to buy the NFC music Gateway today.
    I am just a bit disappointed that I cannot send file thru NFC to my wife who has a SIII Mini. I thought that NFC was universal but it looks that's not!
    03-06-13 05:25 AM