Blackberry vs. iPhone: New Bold touch screen coming in August - International Business Times
    I was reading it it said something about their stocks and that soo i kept reading. Then it said the bolds release date is due late august. Take a look for yourself!
    06-19-11 12:20 PM
    Yeah...it sucks. What sucks more that the RIM CEO's actually thought just upgrading the Bold to 800Mhz would satisfy consumers, when most Androids run at least 1Ghz...truely arrogance on RIM ceo's part. and stronger intcations that Sprint may well get the iphone4S or 5 whatever it's name will be in September...go into a Sprint store and see the grand displays for the Apple iphone5 and a small display for the Bold 9930. Heartbreaking, but again, you snooze, you lose

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 01:38 PM
    what pisses me off the most is when you go on macrumor's buyer guide and look at the product's lifecycle and when the new product is released they're almost always accurate. and damn, look at their line of products new and improved stuff year on! (except for certain things like the ipod class).

i hope the ceo or whomever is running the company that they're draining the company. like who ON EARTH would launch a 800mhz phone? forget whether you really need the 800 or the 1.2 but a lot of ppl think more is better and those are the clientele, so do something to satisfy them!!!
    06-19-11 01:47 PM
    like who ON EARTH would launch a 800mhz phone?
    Bottom line is RIM's product cycles are now too long thanks to, well, Android.
    06-19-11 02:03 PM
    Where do ya'll get this stuff from? The 9900/9930 has a 1.2 gHz processor. It's been widely reported.
    06-19-11 02:14 PM
    Yes, we know it is - but it was only going to be upgraded to the 800mhz when the designed first started.
    06-19-11 02:44 PM
    OK, alls y'all....but they're not going to....

ibcop, luv....they've seen the light.....no reason not to love our 9900/9930s when they come out!!!!
    06-19-11 02:52 PM
    Ok, maybe I'm blind, but I didn't see that in the article anywhere, still....

The design of that phone has been going on for at least 3 years now

It's not going to be 800mHz anyway.

Can we please mellow out on Father's Day? The specs and info in that article are something to get excited about, but no, it has to be doom and gloomed anyway. Sheesh
    Fatoomah likes this.
    06-19-11 03:13 PM
    OK, alls y'all....but they're not going to....

ibcop, luv....they've seen the light.....no reason not to love our 9900/9930s when they come out!!!!
    It's gonna be awesome - did you see the video of the guy in Vietnam that has a 9900? Sahweet!
    06-19-11 03:17 PM

Can we please mellow out on Father's Day? The specs and info in that article are something to get excited about, but no, it has to be doom and gloomed anyway. Sheesh
    If you listen to Kevin's latest podcast they even talk about RIM assuming that all they needed was an upgraded 800mhz processor to the 9780 succesor, but US competiton from Androids made them decide to push it to 1.2ghz...Do RIM execs even see what their compatition is putting out? Over a year ago Sprint released the Evo 4G w/1Ghz snapdragon processor. There was talk of even NOT releasing a smartphone at all in 2011 to push the playbook...and now RIM won't release a device until LATE August? RIM better pray that Sprint and or T-MO doesn't get the iphone4S (or 5) in September, it'll damage RIM worse than they're suffering now.

06-19-11 04:39 PM
    You know, it amazes me I kept a Razr for 5 years

06-19-11 04:47 PM
    What I am surprised is how some members could be so excited about the 9900 a few days ago, get a little bad news and not get their way), which was expected, and turn so much against RIM! Gee life is full of little disappointments!
    06-19-11 05:02 PM
    If you listen to Kevin's latest podcast they even talk about RIM assuming that all they needed was an upgraded 800mhz processor to the 9780 succesor, but US competiton from Androids made them decide to push it to 1.2ghz...Do RIM execs even see what their compatition is putting out? Over a year ago Sprint released the Evo 4G w/1Ghz snapdragon processor. There was talk of even NOT releasing a smartphone at all in 2011 to push the playbook...and now RIM won't release a device until LATE August? RIM better pray that Sprint and or T-MO doesn't get the iphone4S (or 5) in September, it'll damage RIM worse than they're suffering now.

Ughhhhhh! Ya'll give us modfia so much more work to do than necessary. I understand what the original spec target was, and that Kevin spoke of it in the podcast. Look at the first post of this thread, read the link, and explain to me why, with all the news in it, it took nearly 10 posts for something relative and worth a damn to be said. That's the point.

August, for those without a calendar, is in the midst of summer.
    06-19-11 05:30 PM
    Ughhhhhh! Ya'll give us modfia so much more work to do than necessary. I understand what the original spec target was, and that Kevin spoke of it in the podcast. Look at the first post of this thread, read the link, and explain to me why, with all the news in it, it took nearly 10 posts for something relative and worth a damn to be said. That's the point.

August, for those without a calendar, is in the midst of summer.
    Woah dude......no one was complaining about an August date.....
    06-19-11 06:04 PM

Now that was an awesome device in it's day! I mean, who didn't wan't a Razr?
    06-19-11 06:04 PM
    RIM executives have always lived in this weird fantasy bubble (800 mhz, that should be enough! Apps? those are pointless. iPhone? Puh-lease. Android? Nothing to worry about), they scoffed at those who are now burying them. It's a cliche come to reality, a shame for them. Now they are stuck with their thumbs up their asses using words like tonnage and birthing (another symbol of how out of touch they are to reality o_0).

Guess we'll see what unfolds folks. Hopefully they pull through because the more competition the merrier.
    06-19-11 06:35 PM
    Sorry, dude, but I can tell you that birthing is very much reality....
    06-19-11 07:15 PM

How excited should we be? By the time this phone is released it will be about the same as lower end droid phones, most high end droids and i believe the iphone 5 will be dual core. And this phone will not be supported after one year. Very hard to be excited about that when ya sign a two year contract! Iphone 5 will be supported for over 2 years. Thats what is making it harder and harder to by BB's. They are behind when they come out and get forgotten about basically after one year!
    06-19-11 07:40 PM
    How excited should we be? By the time this phone is released it will be about the same as lower end droid phones, most high end droids and i believe the iphone 5 will be dual core. And this phone will not be supported after one year. Very hard to be excited about that when ya sign a two year contract! Iphone 5 will be supported for over 2 years. Thats what is making it harder and harder to by BB's. They are behind when they come out and get forgotten about basically after one year!
    So the mighty Thunderbolt is lower end now? By your logic anything you buy is lower end within 5 to 6 months anyway. Regardless you don't seem to be interested in actual performance...just numbers.
    06-19-11 07:59 PM
    Woah dude......no one was complaining about an August date.....
    You are correct sir, my bad.

Look, if all you want is what's best on paper, BlackBerry will never be your choice. RIM has continued to release OS updates for phones beyond two years, just not versions some would find acceptable. They did have some lackluster models in the last run, my 9650 being the sadest of all, but even it performs better for my use than what the competition had to offer at the time. You can toss all the processing speed you want at me, that isn't relative to making the device better suited for communication. Did the CEO have his head where the sun don't shine? Sure, but the generation being released prove he's pulled it out, whether by choice, or by force.

Long live the razr!
    06-19-11 08:15 PM

I still have my Motorola Razr. The original one when it first came out.
    06-19-11 08:44 PM
    Bottom line, and I think we all agree, the RIM lifecycle is too long now. A few years ago, pre-Android, it wasn't as big of a deal. The iPhone was definitely a game-changer that made RIM look up and then say 'Not a big deal....(back to work)' and then it exploded. Other OEM's took notice and made adjustments.....RIM did not.

Unfortunate, really, because RIM builds some incredible hardware and honestly, decent software that works, but it is long in the tooth.

I have been a RIM advocate for a very long time but now I am forced to look not only at a device but a pure ecosystem, with tablets and OS's merging together as they do.

Three years ago, cloud computing was nothing compared to today. Apps were still growing, but no one saw this reality then....they were simply dismissed.

Had Palm been able to see the light, THEY would have been what the iPhone is today, not Apple. Seriously, anyone who has used a Palm/webOS device swears that the OS is pure beauty and dead simple to use.....but the hardware didn't even up and they didn't look far enough ahead to make adjustments.

Now HP owns them. And what are they doing? Spinning their wheels/ The Pre 3 was announced prior to the Bold 9900 and will probably be released AFTER the 9900.

Back to RIM. If any of you truly believe that RIM can grow fast enough to matter with Android and Apple growing at the pace they are, how fast does RIM need to grow in order to combat that?

It's a virtual impossibility.

WP7, while really slow out of the gate, at least is courting developers....and so deeply integrating their applications that it is making Android and iOS look old and stale.

RIM will NEVER take that approach.

RIM, sorry, but you missed the boat and another one is not coming. Find someone else to make products for (HP needs someone to make incredible hardware....) and find a way to integrate QNX.....but it will never be your own products that will see this OS fully be realized because you are too slow, too set in your ways and unfortunately, too late.

Man, I hated to type that. I LOVE BlackBerry, but I am finally opening my eyes to the realization that they are in fact dying.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-19-11 at 08:59 PM.
    06-19-11 08:57 PM
    Dying my booty. That's just silly. Why would you think a system, with no proprietary hardware, that came out less than 3 years ago, could possibly take an insurmountable lead in the tech sector. iOS, it too is damn good, along with Android, but fact is the dang phone is too delicate for the average mobile work enviroment, and neither has the same security RIM has. HP with Palm, well they may just pull that out of the graveyard too. WinMo, another up and coming contender. The smartphone market is growing worldwide like we've never seen it. There's room for them all to blossom. Call me crazy, most do, but I'd be shocked if an old standard like Nokia doesn't still have something up it's sleeve we've yet to hear of. This is a game of leap-frog, and we'll all be old and gray before the history is written.
    06-19-11 09:24 PM
    So the mighty Thunderbolt is lower end now? By your logic anything you buy is lower end within 5 to 6 months anyway. Regardless you don't seem to be interested in actual performance...just numbers.
    First of all I tried Android and didn't like it. So I am not here to thrash BB! When did the thunderbolt come out? And when is the 9930 going to get released? I am not saying I still wont get the 9930, but if it would have came out in May I would own it. The longer it is put off the worse the specs are going to look. And no I don't just care about specs. As its release gets closer and the iphone 5 gets closer I will be very interested in browser vid compare and well, whatever else they can compare. The point I was trying to make is it's hard to get excited about a device that should be out already to compete with the competition and the os will be forgotten about next year at this time. Doesn't it kind of seem like the 9930 should have come out in place of the 9650? Now that would have been something and would have brought us right into QNX(assuming QNX is the answer). It's crazy to me how something as small as that would have made such a big difference!!
    06-19-11 10:13 PM
    You are correct sir, my bad.

Look, if all you want is what's best on paper, BlackBerry will never be your choice. RIM has continued to release OS updates for phones beyond two years, just not versions some would find acceptable. They did have some lackluster models in the last run, my 9650 being the sadest of all, but even it performs better for my use than what the competition had to offer at the time. You can toss all the processing speed you want at me, that isn't relative to making the device better suited for communication. Did the CEO have his head where the sun don't shine? Sure, but the generation being released prove he's pulled it out, whether by choice, or by force.

Long live the razr!
    I don't disagree with you at all. But why wouldn't RIM change their ways. Compete spec wise or performance wise i should say. I honestly don't care about specs. Show me its as fast as an iphone i don't care whats under the hood! Imagine if they take what is good with BB(messaging and such) throw in QNX and the goods underneath the hood to compete with competition to a certain extent(obviously we don't want a phone that will only run for 4 hours!) Now that will be a combination that may be hard to beat! Oh and if apps catch on with the QNX os!
    06-19-11 10:17 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD