I couldn't think what else to call the thread, sorry. My question for discussion is about possibilities of using software between GSM/CDMA carriers. We couldn't do this before because there were different processors for different phones, or different phones altogether. As I see it, the only difference between the capabilities of the 9900 and 9930 are the radios used. Or possibly radios enabled? I would love to be able to load an official OS from Abu Dhabi wireless (or whatever) on my VZW 9930.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 01:13 PM
    I still don't think it will be possible.

Look at the GSM/CDMA Storms. I believe they both used the same hardware (except radios), but the software wasn't compatible.

05-03-11 01:19 PM
    I still don't think it will be possible.

Look at the GSM/CDMA Storms. I believe they both used the same hardware (except radios), but the software wasn't compatible.

I wasn't aware the GSM storm used the Qualcomm chipset also. So my only hope is the devices have the same radio chip also, just having different bands enabled for the various carriers.
    If not, we still have a thriving hybrid industry and I reckon dragging java folders from one to another should work pretty well.
    It seems like it would be in RIM's best intrest to build OS's that would work across both models if that were possible.

05-03-11 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD