Hi - I picked up a 9930 on Verizon the other day. Like it for the most part so far, but I've noticed that the Social Feeds app is constantly using 80%+ of the CPU. Does anyone else have this same issue? Any ideas on what to do? I've tried disabling RSS refresh and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks!
    09-30-11 08:07 AM
    Delete it??, i didnt use mine but found it was a bit of a battery drainer and memory hog so in the end, i just deleted it from my phone...now my battery and memory is much better than before.
    09-30-11 08:41 AM
    Can't tell you because I deleted it! I'm using bereder for rss feeds, and it works flawlessly with google reader!

Sent from myBold 9900
    09-30-11 08:42 AM
    I use social feed and I love it. When you set up the app go to indiviual apps eg. Facebook app and Twitter app and set what intervals you need them to auto update. Then on social feed STOP auto update this will only update when you open the app. This should fix your problem.

I have Social Feed installed with no auto update on Facebook and every 30 min updates on Twitter with very good battery life and CPU usage. But I do agree that Social Feed use a bit more resources than other apps. But this is a free app and I don't see a point of paying for an app to just to get info like Facebook Twitter or news anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 09:04 AM
    I bet you did a device switch? That's what caused my problem. I did a full wipe and restored only BB Protect items, then loaded and configured everything else manually and it solved my problem. A bit of work, but your battery will thank you
    09-30-11 10:44 AM
    I think the problem with social feeds is the rss part, it seems to keep all the cache from when you set it up and I can't seem to find a way to clear it, I just deleted it again and I'll use twitter as rss reader again.

09-30-11 11:15 AM
    I bet you did a device switch? That's what caused my problem. I did a full wipe and restored only BB Protect items, then loaded and configured everything else manually and it solved my problem. A bit of work, but your battery will thank you
    Yep, I did do a device switch. Maybe that is the problem.

Even if I disable auto refresh and only enable refresh on launch, CPU utilization goes through the roof after I launch it the first time and never goes back down even after close.

If I disable refresh on launch as well then manually refresh when needed, CPU utilization seems to drop back down after the refresh is complete and I close the app.

Kind of sucks. And no, I don't really feel like doing a full wipe....

-K
    09-30-11 02:17 PM
    I think the problem with social feeds is the rss part, it seems to keep all the cache from when you set it up and I can't seem to find a way to clear it, I just deleted it again and I'll use twitter as rss reader again.

Nah, once you get a non-corrupted social feeds app (i.e. no device-switch corruption) you don't have to worry about any of that.

I have Facebook, Twitter, and 35 RSS feeds active now in my social feeds app, with the update set to 30 mins in the background. My 9900, during moderate-heavy usage discharges the battery at 4-5%/hr by the end of the day (with very low usage discharge goes to 2.3%-2.6%/hr). So social feeds by itself doesn't noticeably change the battery performance... unless some corruption from device-switch is brought in.
    09-30-11 07:31 PM
    Any thoughts on how to fix the issue without removing and re-installing? My BB is locked down by an IT Policy which does not allow downloads, so if I remove the app I don't think I'd be able to re-install it (unless I could find the actual installer file somewhere). I've used Social Feeds on past phones and do like it.
    Last edited by kls1891; 09-30-11 at 09:04 PM.
    09-30-11 08:58 PM
    Any thoughts on how to fix the issue without removing and re-installing? My BB is locked down by an IT Policy which does not allow downloads, so if I remove the app I don't think I'd be able to re-install it (unless I could find the actual installer file somewhere). I've used Social Feeds on past phones and do like it.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Social Feeds won't work because the config is saved and restored, bringing the same problem back.

Are you able to do a security wipe?
    10-01-11 07:11 AM
    I just deleted mine and instantly battery life got better, much better and no more memory leak, it's a cool app but it needs a clear cache feature.

10-01-11 07:17 AM
    Personally, I only use FB's feeds and dont follow BBM feeds and Twitter Feeds so Social Feeds is a useless app for me. I have Facebook to refresh when i open it and same for Twitter. I turned off BBM feeds and my battery's pretty great.
    10-01-11 11:42 AM
    I use social feed and I love it. When you set up the app go to indiviual apps eg. Facebook app and Twitter app and set what intervals you need them to auto update. Then on social feed STOP auto update this will only update when you open the app. This should fix your problem.

I have Social Feed installed with no auto update on Facebook and every 30 min updates on Twitter with very good battery life and CPU usage. But I do agree that Social Feed use a bit more resources than other apps. But this is a free app and I don't see a point of paying for an app to just to get info like Facebook Twitter or news anyway.

Sorry to appear dim, but I can see no option anywhere to select update intervals for Twitter or Facebook on Social Feed. Would you mind taking me through how you select your update times, step by step? Many thanks, in advance...
    10-01-11 01:18 PM
    Sorry to appear dim, but I can see no option anywhere to select update intervals for Twitter or Facebook on Social Feed. Would you mind taking me through how you select your update times, step by step? Many thanks, in advance...
    You can set that in the facebook and twitter apps themselves, not in the Social Feeds app.

10-01-11 01:19 PM
    How do you delete Social Feeds entirely? - I can't find it in my apps list !

**Edit: Argh - never mind, highlight and delete from the menu; I found it!
    10-01-11 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD